follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2021, 02:48 AM   #393
puppers
Member
 
puppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Drives: Model 3 Performance + X
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 47
Thanks: 21
Thanked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLE5 View Post
I think Gen2 has a certain RX-8 look to it.

I'm gonna sell the FRS.

I've got an i4 M50 on order, not a Gen2.
I have a preorder set on one as well! Sunset Metallic Orange with a Cognac Interior. Looking at Sumer 2022. Getting rid of my Model 3 Performance for the Bimmer.
puppers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puppers For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 04:07 AM   #394
nikitopo
Senior Member
 
nikitopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Location: Greece
Posts: 3,758
Thanks: 2,368
Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,245 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
The squeaks and rattles in my interior are sure trying to interact with me though.
I've heard many times people complaining about squeaks and rattles even on lightly used cars. Not only in this platform , but in general. Not sure how other people are driving their cars. Never had such kind of issues. Maybe it is a kind of art to drive smoothly and avoid road potholes and other imperfections.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:40 AM   #395
Tanstin
Member
 
Tanstin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Location: MD
Posts: 99
Thanks: 220
Thanked 70 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Meh. The bulk of it is no newer that what there was.
every time i look at a thread here, its always this dude shitting on the gen 2. god forbid people are allowed to enjoy their cars.

go to the evo forums or something.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tanstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:12 AM   #396
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 17,539
Thanks: 33,742
Thanked 20,940 Times in 9,703 Posts
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspeed View Post
, if you claim you're a car enthusiast but talk a lot about the interior, then that tells me you're not a real car enthusiast.
How does not caring about every aspect of a vehicle make you "not a real car enthusiast"? Last time I checked the interior is an integral part of the car driving experience.

A purpose built race car has a purpose built interior, as does any road car (which is really what the 86 is, a road car). You wouldn't want the interior quality of a Bentley in your Formula 1 car, but you also don't want the interior quality of a NASCAR in your street car.
__________________

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 11-20-2021 at 06:44 PM. Reason: clearing up I'm talking about the interior
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
puppers (11-20-2021), Tcoat (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 11:42 AM   #397
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 65,778
Thanks: 58,274
Thanked 99,403 Times in 43,157 Posts
Mentioned: 2401 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanstin View Post
every time i look at a thread here, its always this dude shitting on the gen 2. god forbid people are allowed to enjoy their cars.

go to the evo forums or something.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The only thing I have ever said negative about the Gen 2 is that it looks like the exterior was designed by a committee of 18 year old boy racers. It is my opinion and I am not alone in it so I will share it if I wish.

The Gen 2 is a nice incremental improvement over the Gen 1 in many ways but it has not all of a sudden become a Supercar Porsche beater that some make it out to be.

The hate of and nit picking of the Gen 1 by some people on the Gen 2 subs (many who never owned one because it was "too slow") is far greater than the improvements in the Gen 2 warrant.

People that like their Gen 1 cars and have never had any issues are allowed to "enjoy" their cars as well. This thread was made to ask the question "any good reason to stick with the 1st Gen" and has delved into such topics as how superiors the signal stalk is on the Gen 2 which just shows the mindset of many of the Gen 2 buyers.

If you think that all I do here is slam the Gen 2 maybe you should venture out into the rest of the forum and see the bigger picture.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-20-2021), nikitopo (11-21-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 02:40 PM   #398
2020BRZtS
Senior Member
 
2020BRZtS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Location: PA
Posts: 181
Thanks: 88
Thanked 175 Times in 89 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I have several reasons for sticking with Gen 1:

I have a limited edition
I own it outright
I've made modifications I'm not willing to lose either the financial or sweat equity
I have kept every car I've ever owned an average of 13 years
I'm not in the market

That said... This forum has a huge following and there are a lot of us that read it for entertainment and don't contribute every thought that comes to our heads. I, for one, enjoy @Tcoat, @humfrz, @soundman98, @JCD and many others' perspective.

This forum is raw just like the car. Notice the lack of like and dislike buttons. Giving thanks is the closest it gets. The participation trophy generation is wound too tight.

Ask yourself... If your wife has a younger sister would you be looking to trade up to Gen 2?
2020BRZtS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2020BRZtS For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #399
Stonehorsw
Senior Member
 
Stonehorsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Location: Michigan
Posts: 454
Thanks: 730
Thanked 295 Times in 179 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The only thing I have ever said negative about the Gen 2 is that it looks like the exterior was designed by a committee of 18 year old boy racers. It is my opinion and I am not alone in it so I will share it if I wish.

The Gen 2 is a nice incremental improvement over the Gen 1 in many ways but it has not all of a sudden become a Supercar Porsche beater that some make it out to be.

The hate of and nit picking of the Gen 1 by some people on the Gen 2 subs (many who never owned one because it was "too slow") is far greater than the improvements in the Gen 2 warrant.

People that like their Gen 1 cars and have never had any issues are allowed to "enjoy" their cars as well. This thread was made to ask the question "any good reason to stick with the 1st Gen" and has delved into such topics as how superiors the signal stalk is on the Gen 2 which just shows the mindset of many of the Gen 2 buyers.

If you think that all I do here is slam the Gen 2 maybe you should venture out into the rest of the forum and see the bigger picture.
I think that gen1 screams more boy racer than the second, and for this reason is more distinct design (I prefer overall gen1 design).
2nd gen looks tamed from the pictures.
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #400
timurrrr
Senior Member
 
timurrrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Drives: '17 BRZ with PP
Location: Between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Posts: 1,270
Thanks: 1,544
Thanked 912 Times in 531 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I've heard many times people complaining about squeaks and rattles even on lightly used cars. Not only in this platform , but in general. Not sure how other people are driving their cars. Never had such kind of issues. Maybe it is a kind of art to drive smoothly and avoid road potholes and other imperfections.
I'm doing my best to avoid potholes.

But also I got the car to be driven. It has CSG coilovers "optimized for street use but also capable on track". I drive in the Bay Area, and the local roads have seen better days.
I go to track days, and occasionally do end up hitting kerbs or going off.
The interior did get more rattle'y and squeaky over time.

That being said, even at 3500 miles and bone stock (bought second hand), my car had (and still has) a very annoying loud buzz coming from the gear shifter above 4500 rpms.
I tried changing the shifter but that only changed the timbre of the buzz.

I've also driven a friend's almost-new '17 Toyota 86 with just 2000 miles on the odometer that already had an annoying rattle somewhere behind the head unit.

I can imagine that there are in fact the majority of 1st gen cars that had quiet interior when they came off from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
such topics as how superiors the signal stalk is on the Gen 2 which just shows the mindset of many of the Gen 2 buyers.
Where exactly, other than in your own head?
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 03:13 PM   #401
Dake
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: FR-S
Location: Houston
Posts: 895
Thanks: 346
Thanked 664 Times in 339 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspeed View Post
I feel the need to share here that, I don't get all the conversation about interiors in general from the sports car enthusiast community. Every article or vid that goes on and on about interior makes me die a little inside. WTF, if you claim you're a car enthusiast but talk a lot about the interior, then that tells me you're not a real car enthusiast. People will say they like to be comfortable, but that's not a "driver's car" thing, that's a Mercedes thing. Get an old Town Car or Mercedes or something.
For most people, a car is the second largest investment in their life after a house (and for many, it may be their largest). Expecting an interior to be of decent quality has no bearing on whether one is a "true" enthusiast, that's just BS gate-keeping.

While I can agree to a certain extent that the Youtubers go on a bit too much, that's the nature of trying to get clicks and is easily ignored. But having a decent interior to live with - especially if this car is your attainable dream (we can't all go out and buy Porsche GT3 RSes or whatever) - is a perfectly acceptable desire.

I never had a problem with the first gen interior personally (though it did squeak and rattle more new, than my 32 year old Celica). The only change I made was adding the armrest. But if they want to refine things a tad on the inside while also upgrading all the other bits we're getting, that works too.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dake For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 03:18 PM   #402
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 65,778
Thanks: 58,274
Thanked 99,403 Times in 43,157 Posts
Mentioned: 2401 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
I think that gen1 screams more boy racer than the second, and for this reason is more distinct design (I prefer overall gen1 design).
2nd gen looks tamed from the pictures.
Nah. Smooth classic curves that work well together. Well, other than the droopy nose on the 17+ 86 but the license plate hides that thank goodness.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 03:38 PM   #403
EAGLE5
Dismember
 
EAGLE5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Location: Castro Valley
Posts: 5,423
Thanks: 2,098
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,109 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppers View Post
I have a preorder set on one as well! Sunset Metallic Orange with a Cognac Interior. Looking at Sumer 2022. Getting rid of my Model 3 Performance for the Bimmer.


Same exterior color, but I'm going black leather interior. Every option but the carbon and 5G. I'm getting rid of my MYLR for it.

I'd go Imola Red, but it'd be an expensive custom order.

The Teslas get a lot right and a lot wrong. For me, the wrong win.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
puppers (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 04:22 PM   #404
puppers
Member
 
puppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Drives: Model 3 Performance + X
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 47
Thanks: 21
Thanked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLE5 View Post


Same exterior color, but I'm going black leather interior. Every option but the carbon and 5G. I'm getting rid of my MYLR for it.

I'd go Imola Red, but it'd be an expensive custom order.

The Teslas get a lot right and a lot wrong. For me, the wrong win.
Same here! I skipped on the 5G! Yeah, something about sunset orange with the massive grille makes it seem so much more subtle, yet refined and bold. Itís weird.

Yeah, Iím in the same boat. Tesla has the range, the charging network and performance down. Everything else is a bust for me. Quality, service, customer experience, symbolism - all wrong in my book. The nail in the coffin is tesla does not care about customers. Thatís not to say you wonít have a good experience, but tesla as a brand - customer happiness is not their focus. Going back to a brand thatíll value me spending over 70k with them and be appreciated and taken care of.
puppers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puppers For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 05:49 PM   #405
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 28,450
Thanks: 26,247
Thanked 29,077 Times in 15,376 Posts
Mentioned: 671 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020BRZtS View Post
I have several reasons for sticking with Gen 1:

I have a limited edition
I own it outright
I've made modifications I'm not willing to lose either the financial or sweat equity
I have kept every car I've ever owned an average of 13 years
I'm not in the market

That said... This forum has a huge following and there are a lot of us that read it for entertainment and don't contribute every thought that comes to our heads. I, for one, enjoy @Tcoat, @humfrz, @soundman98, @JCD and many others' perspective.

This forum is raw just like the car. Notice the lack of like and dislike buttons. Giving thanks is the closest it gets. The participation trophy generation is wound too tight.

Ask yourself... If your wife has a younger sister would you be looking to trade up to Gen 2?

Raw, yes, but you didn't mention @Ultramaroon -

My wife has 3 younger sisters, but they are all still too old -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (11-22-2021), soundman98 (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 06:46 PM   #406
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 17,539
Thanks: 33,742
Thanked 20,940 Times in 9,703 Posts
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The only thing I have ever said negative about the Gen 2 is that it looks like the exterior was designed by a committee of 18 year old boy racers. ....

The Gen 2 is a nice incremental improvement over the Gen 1 in many ways but it has not all of a sudden become a Supercar Porsche beater that some make it out to be..
I agree. I'm glad they built a GEN2 and there are a number of great incremental improvements, it's just (for me) the exterior is NOT one of those improvements.

It's OK if you like, because if you do you will end up with a great car. Me, I also want something I'm willing to catch myself turning around and glancing at as I walk away. The GEN2 body ain't it.
__________________

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 11-20-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Boomerang (11-21-2021), nikitopo (11-21-2021), soundman98 (11-20-2021), Tcoat (11-20-2021)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another good reason to drive an AT Hotrodheart Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 31 07-13-2016 02:00 AM
A Good Reason to Stay With Narrow 17s FlamingRectumSyndrome Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 32 04-30-2014 05:18 PM
FA20CLUB: GOOD REASON TO REMOVE YOUR TURBO KIT RIGHT AWAY.... FA20Club.com Forced Induction 27 06-22-2013 12:19 AM
Car Name; Reason why FT-86 won't stick xantonin Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 54 07-17-2011 01:52 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.