follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 11-15-2021, 09:21 PM   #1
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sealant Recommendations for Black Paint

Hi everyone,

I need recommendations for over the counter products that actually work well.

I don’t live in America so most of the local products available are Meguairs and Turtle Wax, very recently Chemical guys but I haven’t tried it.

I’ve used Meguairs Quix Wax, Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray wax (the one specific for black paints), Turtle Wax spray sealant and your standard Carnauba wax.
Turtle Wax Spay sealant has been the only product that seems to somewhat repel water

No matter what I use, the beading sticks to my car like glue, does not sheet off even when hosed down with water, just sticks to the paint and holds in all the dirt it accumulates requiring a full wash to remedy. If they were just subtle water/ dirt marks it would be fine, but it genuinely looks like my car has a leopard print with how visible the dirt is after a half a day of rain.

Eg.

That sideskirt is freshly painted, was washed yesterday with wax applied and this is the result from a single morning of rain. If I spray that with water it will not remove any dirt unless I hand scrub.
I’m not expecting 100% of the water to sheet off like a real ceramic coat, but currently I don’t see why i’ve been bothering to apply wax when the beading does nothing in terms of making the car easier to clean, and doesn’t seem to offer much protection as bird poo has still burned through into the clear multiple occasions despite being washed off within a few hours of it occurring

I know black cars show defects more, but unless every other car at my work place has ceramic coating, nobody else’s black car looks as dirty- and I doubt most of them even wash their own cars let alone use products outside of drive through washes

Last edited by Sam86; 11-16-2021 at 12:07 AM.
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:58 AM   #2
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Drives: `12 FRS & `17 BRZ Inazuma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Sealants/waxes work best if you prepped your paint properly (iron decon, clay, compound, polish, then seal/wax). But that's just part of the equation as mineral contents in the water can affect the way it clings onto the surface as well.

Keep your Carnauba Wax till the summer if you want a warmer gloss. Natural waxes like Carnauba don't last long & they're not as slick as synthetic sealants like Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions.

If available, get a TURTLE WAX HS GRAPHENE FLEX WAX!

I found that multi-layering of Turtle Wax HS Ceramic Spray Wax (2 coats) + Turtle Wax Graphene Flex Wax (2 coats) create a very slick surface that takes longer for dirt to cling on & layer up thanks to the very tight graphene molecules. Bird poop & even tree sap are very easy to remove with the combo.

I've tried Xtreme Solutions Topper which is another very slick SiO2 product & highly recommended by popular detailers like Pan the Organizer. But I noticed that the TW Graphene Flex Wax performs better in keeping the paint cleaner in between washes especially during the rainy season.

If you live in an area with hard water and/or have rains w/ high mineral contents, you may want to hose off & dry the water as soon as possible before it dries up or you can neutralize the minerals with a quick detailer until you're ready to give it a proper wash.

From my other post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygfrid View Post
I've been using Meguiar's products over the years. However, there's recently been a huge step up from other brands especially from Turtle Wax's Hybrid Solutions line which are very easy to use.

Here's what I've done on mine & what they do:
Step 1. Adam's Strip Wash -for removing old waxes, sealants
Step 2. Fireball Ultimate Iron Burn - for removing iron deposits on paint
Step 3. Wash & clay to remove embedded surface contaminants
Step 4. Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction Compound - for removing swirls & scratches
Step 5. Meguiar's Ultimate Polish - for removing marring from the compound, reconditioning the finish, & removing finer scratches
Step 6. IPA wipe down to remove polishing oils so that wax/sealants can stick better
Step 3. Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating (2 coats)- gives that candy wrapper-like gloss & creates a slick surface that repels water fast
Step 4. Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Graphene Flex Wax (2 coats) - deeper gloss, creates a very slick surface that repels water easily. It takes so much longer time for dirt to build up because of the slickness (vs using Meguiars Ultimate Wax)

Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter

Last edited by sygfrid; 11-16-2021 at 02:17 PM.
sygfrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sygfrid For This Useful Post:
Sam86 (11-17-2021), spcmafia (11-16-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 11:38 AM   #3
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I would agree with sygfrid's opinion. Is all about prepping the surface and letting the sealant cure for a proper amount of time. You can take it from the bottom and start with something that will strip all previous layers of wax, do a polish, then sealant. I recommend Meguiars 210 Ultra Pro Polishing Compound. Follow for Meguiars Synthetic 2.0 Sealant 21. Let it sit for a proper amount of time and then cover or garage the car for the day. Then apply Turtle Wax Graphene wax, or spray, I prefer the wax. You should be covered for a good amount of time. I have made previous threads regarding all the products that I use should be pretty easy to find as this topic thread doesn't get bombarded with other topics.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:50 PM   #4
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
While I like their products, the waxes from Meguiar's and Chemical Guys do not last past a couple washes, probably due to them being California based companies and adhering to strict VOC laws, or has been my guess.

Following up with what's been said, Turtle Wax has been getting great reviews in the last couple years.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:00 PM   #5
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,113 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
That looks like road film to me. No amount of protection will stop that from sticking to the paint. Not even a ceramic coating.
Some products might do a bit better at resisting contamination from sticking to it but that's about it.

Light rainfall is usually worse for road film which doesn't help.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (11-16-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 08:19 PM   #6
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
That looks like road film to me. No amount of protection will stop that from sticking to the paint. Not even a ceramic coating.
Some products might do a bit better at resisting contamination from sticking to it but that's about it.

Light rainfall is usually worse for road film which doesn't help.
I’m not really familiar with that term, is it something that can occur rapidly or does it happen over time?

The side skirts in the photo had been painted 2 days prior to that photo, and that photo was after the first drive with them on the car which was a 15 minute commute in light rain and little traffic.
I’ve since washed the car thoroughly and I still have faint markings I just assumed to be hard water spots.

Prior to putting on my sideskirts I had made the same commute daily, in varying conditions for several months and never had the same hard waterspots on the area below my door that my sideskirts now cover.
I don’t recall driving in any puddles or past anything that could have flung whatever road film this could potentially be (and I was consciously avoiding them because I didn’t want the side skirts getting too dirty on my first drive)

Last edited by Sam86; 11-17-2021 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:24 PM   #7
Sam86

Quote:
Sealants/waxes work best if you prepped your paint properly (iron decon, clay, compound, polish, then seal/wax). But that's just part of the equation as mineral contents in the water can affect the way it clings onto the surface as well.

Keep your Carnauba Wax till the summer if you want a warmer gloss. Natural waxes like Carnauba don't last long & they're not as slick as synthetic sealants like Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions.

If available, get a TURTLE WAX HS GRAPHENE FLEX WAX!

I found that multi-layering of Turtle Wax HS Ceramic Spray Wax (2 coats) + Turtle Wax Graphene Flex Wax (2 coats) create a very slick surface that takes longer for dirt to cling on & layer up thanks to the very tight graphene molecules. Bird poop & even tree sap are very easy to remove with the combo.

I've tried Xtreme Solutions Topper which is another very slick SiO2 product & highly recommended by popular detailers like Pan the Organizer. But I noticed that the TW Graphene Flex Wax performs better in keeping the paint cleaner in between washes especially during the rainy season.

If you live in an area with hard water and/or have rains w/ high mineral contents, you may want to hose off & dry the water as soon as possible before it dries up or you can neutralize the minerals with a quick detailer until you're ready to give it a proper wash.

From my other post:
Thanks I will try that exact combo next time. It’s been a bit over a year since I last clay barred (hesitant to do it again as it caused marring and scratches last time as I wasn’t aware you had to follow it with a polish).
That would explain the rough surface sticking the water to the rest of my car, but not the sideskirts which had been painted 2 days before being placed on the car and theoretically should be as slick as possible as it hadn’t been exposed to any water or elements yet.

After taking that photo I thoroughly washed the car and removed all water spots and dirt from every part but the sideskirts which still have faint water spots I couldn’t remove- I tried detail spray, APC, being heavy handed with a micro fibre and none made any difference.
Never had this much trouble removing water spots so I don’t know what they are. Side skirts were flawless before that 15 minute drive to work in light rain, then sitting in the parking lot.

Last edited by Sam86; 11-17-2021 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:52 AM   #8
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Drives: `12 FRS & `17 BRZ Inazuma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
It sounds like the water spots have etched on the clear coat or your could've drove onto some chemicals that have stained it. Distilled water-vinegar solution usually takes care of hard water spots. But if they've already etched into the clear, you'll have to do compounding & polishing.

I highly suggest that you checkout the master detailers Pan the Organizer, Apex Detailing, & AMMO NYC on YouTube for pro solutions to that persistent problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
Thanks I will try that exact combo next time. It’s been a bit over a year since I last clay barred (hesitant to do it again as it caused marring and scratches last time as I wasn’t aware you had to follow it with a polish).
That would explain the rough surface sticking the water to the rest of my car, but not the sideskirts which had been painted 2 days before being placed on the car and theoretically should be as slick as possible as it hadn’t been exposed to any water or elements yet.

After taking that photo I thoroughly washed the car and removed all water spots and dirt from every part but the sideskirts which still have faint water spots I couldn’t remove- I tried detail spray, APC, being heavy handed with a micro fibre and none made any difference.
Never had this much trouble removing water spots so I don’t know what they are. Side skirts were flawless before that 15 minute drive to work in light rain, then sitting in the parking lot.
Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter
sygfrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 01:29 AM   #9
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
A lot of these hyper hydrophobic products will cause this, if you get a very light rain and your car was just dirty and dusty. not much you can do about it but park inside.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:53 PM   #10
Sam86

Quote:
It sounds like the water spots have etched on the clear coat or your could've drove onto some chemicals that have stained it. Distilled water-vinegar solution usually takes care of hard water spots. But if they've already etched into the clear, you'll have to do compounding & polishing.

I highly suggest that you checkout the master detailers Pan the Organizer, Apex Detailing, & AMMO NYC on YouTube for pro solutions to that persistent problem.
From the looks of things that’s the case, I just don’t understand how it happened from a single morning as the paint that now has these etchings was freshly painted and clear coated the day prior.

I’ll try the vinegar/ polishing method eventually, at the moment I’m just going to leave it as it’s not super noticeable unless I look at if from certain angles in direct sunlight
Old 12-06-2021, 12:01 AM   #11
Sam86

I bought the graphene ceramic coating and applied that and it seems to have helped. I had 1 coat of Turtle Wax Spray sealant, 1 coat of the Turtle Wax ceramic spray with black pigments with Turtle Wax graphene over the top. Seemed to do a fairly good job of letting 80% the water run off the paint.

Only seems to last about a week and a half though
Old 12-06-2021, 07:25 AM   #12
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
I bought the graphene ceramic coating and applied that and it seems to have helped. I had 1 coat of Turtle Wax Spray sealant, 1 coat of the Turtle Wax ceramic spray with black pigments with Turtle Wax graphene over the top. Seemed to do a fairly good job of letting 80% the water run off the paint.

Only seems to last about a week and a half though

The spray is good, but the best result you'll get is from the wax. How long did you let the sealant "cure"?
Old 12-06-2021, 04:33 PM   #13
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
The spray is good, but the best result you'll get is from the wax. How long did you let the sealant "cure"?
I believe I applied the sealant on a seperate day to the wax and graphene- aside from being out of the house for 2 hours it sat in the garage for a little under a day.

I don’t think I’ll use the sealant spray again though as it was so difficult to buff out that I think I created some minor scratches
Old 12-08-2021, 03:40 PM   #14
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Black cars are a second job. I have the same thing on my silver car but you don’t see it as much. Not much you can do except for cleaning it all the time. I have had 2 black cars, never again. They look the best clean, but rarely are clean.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote