follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2021, 12:29 PM   #1
Dzmitry
Senior Member
 
Dzmitry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Location: Phildalphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 778
Thanks: 1,504
Thanked 485 Times in 314 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Exhaust Hangers Slide (exhaust misaligned)

I have a CSG Touring86 cat-back and for a while everything was perfect. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I was happy that initially the exhaust tips lined up dead center in the slots for them.

After a while, the cat-back has slightly shifted to one side, making both tips lean toward one side more.

I checked underneath, and noticed that the stock exhaust hangers that I have, have simply shifted to one side a little more. I shifted them back, and a few weeks later I'm in the same boat again. I think it is because I always park on a slant that tilts my car a bit to one side and the heat probably lets them shift ever so slightly over time. I've tried parking the other way, but realistically I just want to solve this for good if possible.

Are the aftermarket hangers like from Perrin larger or tighter than the stock ones? Would they do the trick for solving this or should I just try to stick something else along side the hangers to help block them from shifting?
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-18-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 12:32 PM   #2
NoHaveMSG
Senior Member
 
NoHaveMSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 6,863
Thanks: 10,609
Thanked 9,578 Times in 4,350 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
It could be exhaust alignment pushing it off too, that is the issue with my car. I bet if you unbolt the flange you would have a wider gap on one side of the flange.

You could try measuring the hanger rods and using something like this to keep them from shifting.

https://www.amazon.com/Aobbmok-Solid...1892612&sr=8-3
__________________
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." -Oscar Wilde.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 12:42 PM   #3
Ashikabi
Senior Member
 
Ashikabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: Northwest Iowa
Posts: 7,257
Thanks: 454
Thanked 4,474 Times in 2,908 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Bend the hangers to tweak it. Weld/clamp something to prevent the rubber from moving. Hard mount. Add hangers at opposing angles so they fight against each other

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:57 PM   #4
Dzmitry
Senior Member
 
Dzmitry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Location: Phildalphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 778
Thanks: 1,504
Thanked 485 Times in 314 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Bend the hangers to tweak it. Weld/clamp something to prevent the rubber from moving. Hard mount. Add hangers at opposing angles so they fight against each other

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Didn't want to go too hard with it, such as bending or welding. I want it to be fairly simple to remove the exhaust if needed to change it out or whatever else. But clamping something rubber would be the right idea.

Both of you guys are offering the kind of solution I would think about doing. I'm just curious if any aftermarket hangers take care of this kind of issue, without having to modify/bend/clamp anything. Because if so, I'll just go with that for better strength and support. But if not, I'll do something like you guys are suggesting to hold it in place.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:03 PM   #5
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD
 
Yoshoobaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,528
Thanks: 2,296
Thanked 3,516 Times in 1,689 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
Didn't want to go too hard with it, such as bending or welding. I want it to be fairly simple to remove the exhaust if needed to change it out or whatever else. But clamping something rubber would be the right idea.

Both of you guys are offering the kind of solution I would think about doing. I'm just curious if any aftermarket hangers take care of this kind of issue, without having to modify/bend/clamp anything. Because if so, I'll just go with that for better strength and support. But if not, I'll do something like you guys are suggesting to hold it in place.

These were wayyy tighter than my OEM hangers:

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...nger-12mm-blue
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:07 PM   #6
Ashikabi
Senior Member
 
Ashikabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: Northwest Iowa
Posts: 7,257
Thanks: 454
Thanked 4,474 Times in 2,908 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
Didn't want to go too hard with it, such as bending or welding. I want it to be fairly simple to remove the exhaust if needed to change it out or whatever else. But clamping something rubber would be the right idea.



Both of you guys are offering the kind of solution I would think about doing. I'm just curious if any aftermarket hangers take care of this kind of issue, without having to modify/bend/clamp anything. Because if so, I'll just go with that for better strength and support. But if not, I'll do something like you guys are suggesting to hold it in place.
I'm not convinced a different rubber hanger would help is why I'm not recommending that. It'll still hang straight down, just be stiffer.

Alternatively maybe you could add a wire/cable holding it over to the side

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 03:07 PM   #7
Dzmitry
Senior Member
 
Dzmitry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Location: Phildalphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 778
Thanks: 1,504
Thanked 485 Times in 314 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
These were wayyy tighter than my OEM hangers:

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...nger-12mm-blue
How was the struggle getting them on?
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:30 PM   #8
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD
 
Yoshoobaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,528
Thanks: 2,296
Thanked 3,516 Times in 1,689 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
How was the struggle getting them on?

It was a workout, and I put them on dry cause I couldn’t wait for lubricant to dry up as I needed the car right after the install. Some soap water probably would have helped a lot.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (09-17-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 06:52 PM   #9
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 28,451
Thanks: 26,248
Thanked 29,081 Times in 15,377 Posts
Mentioned: 671 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
I have a CSG Touring86 cat-back and for a while everything was perfect. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I was happy that initially the exhaust tips lined up dead center in the slots for them.

After a while, the cat-back has slightly shifted to one side, making both tips lean toward one side more.

I checked underneath, and noticed that the stock exhaust hangers that I have, have simply shifted to one side a little more. I shifted them back, and a few weeks later I'm in the same boat again. I think it is because I always park on a slant that tilts my car a bit to one side and the heat probably lets them shift ever so slightly over time. I've tried parking the other way, but realistically I just want to solve this for good if possible.

Are the aftermarket hangers like from Perrin larger or tighter than the stock ones? Would they do the trick for solving this or should I just try to stick something else along side the hangers to help block them from shifting?
- jest get over that perfectionist hang up.

Like ol @Ashikabi suggests, just use some baling wire and wire it over.

Attached Images
 
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (09-18-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 07:24 PM   #10
PulsarBeeerz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Drives: BRZ
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 666
Thanks: 498
Thanked 489 Times in 270 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have the same exhaust and had the same problem. I installed these guys, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FLYLFP3 and haven't had an issue since.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (09-20-2021), jeepmor (09-19-2021), norcalpb (09-20-2021), Yoshoobaroo (09-19-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 10:18 PM   #11
jeepmor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: 84 CJ7, 09 Dbl Cab Tacoma, 2014 FR-
Location: Oregon
Posts: 316
Thanks: 157
Thanked 79 Times in 63 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Another order made on PulsarBeeez recommendation for a fix. Thanks again. Just adjusted this again this week, with my new urethane hangers. No change, still shifts. Even loosened and wiggled the exhaust clamps. Still moves. Mine goes from center to driver's side.

Last edited by jeepmor; 09-19-2021 at 11:01 PM.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #12
blsfrs
Senior Member
 
blsfrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Drives: 2013 frs base
Location: central Virginia
Posts: 246
Thanks: 175
Thanked 104 Times in 67 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How about a hose clamp on the shaft of the hanger.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:14 AM   #13
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD
 
Yoshoobaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,528
Thanks: 2,296
Thanked 3,516 Times in 1,689 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
How about a hose clamp on the shaft of the hanger.
I did a hose clamp on each hanger for a while, it works, but the thin sheetmetal of the clamp starts cutting into the rubber hanger after a while. A shaft collar like @PulsarBeeerz linked would be better long term.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (09-20-2021), Dzmitry (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 11:31 AM   #14
Dzmitry
Senior Member
 
Dzmitry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Location: Phildalphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 778
Thanks: 1,504
Thanked 485 Times in 314 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
I have the same exhaust and had the same problem. I installed these guys, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FLYLFP3 and haven't had an issue since.
Yes, this might be great to give a shot. Kind of similar to what @NoHaveMSG linked, but these look a bit easier to work with and possibly stronger in regards to clamping. I agree with @Yoshoobaroo in regards to a long term fix, hence why I don't exactly want to go the "stick something on there" route that keeps it from moving for some time but may or may not work up to a certain point.

Appreciate the info everyone, I'll try this out. Won't bother reporting back about it, but if there's some failure in the future with it, I'll mention it.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exhaust Hangers Maverick986 Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 10 07-27-2016 11:49 AM
Exhaust Hangers FrSnake Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 11 01-20-2014 02:45 PM
exhaust hangers jazztennor Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 7 02-19-2013 10:57 AM
Exhaust hangers yomchi1989 AUSTRALIA 4 12-01-2012 02:15 AM
Rusty exhaust hangers? finch1750 Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 5 11-12-2012 01:29 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.