follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #85
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I always just show people this video. It drives the point home better than anything else:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2wTg0l3_wI"]Winter Snow Tires vs All-Season Tires vs Summer Tires testing on Ice - YouTube[/ame]
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #86
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It kinda disturbs me that the dealership never even mentioned to me that the OEM tires were summer tires. Not that I didn't know, but I'm sure a typical buyer wouldn't have known on their own.

EDIT: especially considering I bought the car in January when it was definitely freezing cold.

Last edited by PandaSPUR; 03-04-2015 at 01:55 PM.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PandaSPUR For This Useful Post:
Annahra (03-04-2015), Lo (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #87
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
just like @PandaSPUR

i usually dont drive when snow or salty road.
1-3 inches and weather looked warm enough to melt and my wife needed camry today. so i was like "what the heck!" should be ok"

when it's about 4:00pm snow accumulation is increasing and "this is not going to be 1-3 inches" yup. i drove with stock summer tires through these damm snows. yeah get winter tires or avoid driving on snow.
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:47 PM   #88
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Yes seriously. I don't commute with my car and I don't require it to get to work or anywhere. I get to choose to only drive it in good weather. Hence I did not bother to get snow tires yet.

My downfall was trusting the weather forecast this past weekend, combined with unplowed roads. But as long as you're not a complete retard when driving in bad conditions, you'll make it home.

Planning to get new wheels in the summer after I get more use out of OEM tires and then I can use my OEM wheels for snow tires next winter.

But thanks for your helpful post.
You do realize the weakness of summer tires isn't merely the fact that the tread is poor for snow, right? The rubber formula's used are also shit in temps of even 40, snow if you choose to drive your car in the winter here in the north it should be on winter or all season tires regardless of precipitation conditions.
s0sl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:50 PM   #89
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
It kinda disturbs me that the dealership never even mentioned to me that the OEM tires were summer tires. Not that I didn't know, but I'm sure a typical buyer wouldn't have known on their own.

I thought the same thing! What happens if the dealer sells a BRZ in CO in the winter and the new owner gets in an accident on the way home?

I am guessing that the dealer could be sued for letting them leave the lot with summer tires during winter.

And I have had all-season tires my whole life.
I did not know that summer tires were an absolute No-No until that incident had me look into it.
Now with my Hankook Snow tires, I was forced to go around & pass 4X4s this morning that just had no clue how to drive in the snow.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
Koa (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #90
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0sl0w View Post
You do realize the weakness of summer tires isn't merely the fact that the tread is poor for snow, right? The rubber formula's used are also shit in temps of even 40, snow if you choose to drive your car in the winter here in the north it should be on winter or all season tires regardless of precipitation conditions.
Yea I do realize that.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #91
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

EDIT: especially considering I bought the car in January when it was definitely freezing cold.
Typical buyers don't give a shit.

Typical car owner mentality when it comes to rubber: 7 year old tires that are cracked with dry rot? Perfectly fine as long as it isn't at the wear bars.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:04 PM   #92
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBRZer View Post
Typical buyers don't give a shit.

Typical car owner: 7 year old tires that are cracked with dry rot? Perfectly fine as long as it isn't at the wear bars.
Yea that actually makes me MORE surprised that dealers dont warn them. Because in the end a typical buyer who wrecks because of summer tires in the winter could potentially blame the dealership, like @stugray mentioned.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:30 PM   #93
Scenic Driver

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ, 02 Audi TTQ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I had my first proper snow commute in the BRZ yesterday. I've driven it in the snow before but when I knew that the roads & highways would be completely covered I would take my TT. I have a long commute so I'm usually not in the mood to experiment but I decided to finally see how it would do.

It was a hell of a lot better than I thought it would be even on the few hills that I had to deal with. I even got to get a laugh as I was passing the cars that were stuck or spinning out (including the usual 2 or 3 BMWs) and the stopped truck facing the wrong way on the other side of the highway was interesting to see too. On partially or completely covered highway I was still able to drive comfortably at 35-45 mph and changing lanes through the slush wasn't too bad at all.

As long as you are steady and deliberate with your throttle inputs and don't over-react to things it really does a nice job in the snow.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #94
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scenic Driver View Post
I had my first proper snow commute in the BRZ yesterday. I've driven it in the snow before but when I knew that the roads & highways would be completely covered I would take my TT. I have a long commute so I'm usually not in the mood to experiment but I decided to finally see how it would do.

It was a hell of a lot better than I thought it would be even on the few hills that I had to deal with. I even got to get a laugh as I was passing the cars that were stuck or spinning out (including the usual 2 or 3 BMWs) and the stopped truck facing the wrong way on the other side of the highway was interesting to see too. On partially or completely covered highway I was still able to drive comfortably at 35-45 mph and changing lanes through the slush wasn't too bad at all.

As long as you aren't on the primacy HPs/other shit low-resistance summer touring tires, are steady and deliberate with your throttle inputs and don't over-react to things it really does a nice job in the snow.
FIFY

If you were on the stockers, then hats off to you- you're a great driver. No sarcasm- snow driving takes a thorough understanding of physics and/or a looot of blizzard seat time. My college calculus teacher used to drive us up to Mt Hood in Washington (THE worst mountain to drive to in the state) in a '91 Echo with all-seasons and every time, we got there safely and back. I've also almost been killed riding with mates who weren't goofing off in more well equipped rigs, but just didn't understand friction, force normal vs force weight, etc.

For the average driver, this car set up from the factory is a death sentence in any snow or ice condition
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
stugray (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 03:55 PM   #95
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
FIFY
...For the average driver, this car set up from the factory is a death sentence in any snow or ice condition
Problem is that most people don't know that they're average drivers in the snow (at best). Also, it doesn't really matter how "good" a driver has been in the past when they hit ice (the video above clearly illustrates this). Really, both of these points are evidenced by many of the posts in this thread with some peeps calling themselves good snow drivers on summer tires. Bottom line for me is, if you're going to drive in the snow, get winter tires.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Koa (03-04-2015), stugray (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #96
Scenic Driver

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ, 02 Audi TTQ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
FIFY

If you were on the stockers, then hats off to you- you're a great driver. No sarcasm- snow driving takes a thorough understanding of physics and/or a looot of blizzard seat time. My college calculus teacher used to drive us up to Mt Hood in Washington (THE worst mountain to drive to in the state) in a '91 Echo with all-seasons and every time, we got there safely and back. I've also almost been killed riding with mates who weren't goofing off in more well equipped rigs, but just didn't understand friction, force normal vs force weight, etc.

For the average driver, this car set up from the factory is a death sentence in any snow or ice condition
I have Blizzaks, I would never drive in snow with the Primacys or any other summer or all season tire. To be fair, I regularly attend winter driving schools and participate in other winter driving events (I'm going to start ice racing next year) so I have lots of seat time where I could experiment in controlled conditions.

Being a good driver in the snow in any car takes practice no matter what you are driving but as far as this car goes, it really isn't meant for the average driver even when it's not being driven in the snow IMO.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:25 PM   #97
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Ya, I thought the same thing when they sold my BRZ to me in November in the snow belt. Also thought it was funny that it had summer tires and a dash switch for "snow".
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:30 PM   #98
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
Ya, I thought the same thing when they sold my BRZ to me in November in the snow belt. Also thought it was funny that it had summer tires and a dash switch for "snow".
The switch transforms your summer tires into snow tires, obviously.
The Following User Says Thank You to PandaSPUR For This Useful Post:
Lo (03-05-2015)