follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 07-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
RealShkillz
The White Pearl

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
LED sizes Length, Width, Type

Hey guys,

I have found a lot of info on FR-S led's out there, and although a lot of vendors on here sell led kits they are usually rather expensive. If you go online you can find led's cheap, however I have some questions because the info doesn't seem to be out there.

1. What are the actual length and width sizes on the bulbs? I know the bulbs I.E the reverse lights, trunk lights, license lights and side markers are a mix of W5W, 194 and T10 bulbs, but whats the max size length and width you can put it without it being a problem.

2. Is there a problem with using Cree led's for more than the reverse lights, because I would prefer to use them everywhere if possible instead of the 5 smd 5050 leds you see everywhere online.

3. Does the volts or watts really matter for each different bulb and location in the car? or can they all be similar as long as it's a low number?

Sorry for all of the questions but I just don't want to order a bunch of bulbs and they don't fit, or they end up causing problems.

Thanks for any help!
RealShkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
3. There is a difference in consumed wattage between the various colors and sizes. Some colors operate at lower voltages while other require higher voltages. They all roughly run at the same current though. Depending on the number of individual emitters and whether you decide to run them in parallel or series, you need the right resistance at a given voltage.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Garage
I kind of got cut off.

1. Go measure the holes with calipers, a ruler, or even drill bits or something.

2. Crees typically run a bit hotter, but provided there is space, I don't see how it would be an issue.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #4
KI_ZN6

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Checkout our online store. We have categorized our FR-S lighting and have confirmed fitment for our products so it would be a plug-and-play, easy installation and no modifications are required. Also have options depending on your preference for LED brightness.

www.hidpowerhouse.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealShkillz View Post
Hey guys,

I have found a lot of info on FR-S led's out there, and although a lot of vendors on here sell led kits they are usually rather expensive. If you go online you can find led's cheap, however I have some questions because the info doesn't seem to be out there.

1. What are the actual length and width sizes on the bulbs? I know the bulbs I.E the reverse lights, trunk lights, license lights and side markers are a mix of W5W, 194 and T10 bulbs, but whats the max size length and width you can put it without it being a problem.

2. Is there a problem with using Cree led's for more than the reverse lights, because I would prefer to use them everywhere if possible instead of the 5 smd 5050 leds you see everywhere online.

3. Does the volts or watts really matter for each different bulb and location in the car? or can they all be similar as long as it's a low number?

Sorry for all of the questions but I just don't want to order a bunch of bulbs and they don't fit, or they end up causing problems.

Thanks for any help!
KI_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Garage
I don't think this is the right thread to advertise in.

Sent from my mind using telepathy.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
CREE style LEDs can be used for more than just reverse lights. We sell them for turn signals, fog lights etc..

They don't have the same output as HID's, but they are brighter than most SMD style bulbs and have a really clean look IMO.

If you guys have any questions about LEDs or HIDs feel free to shoot me a PM.

Thanks!
Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diode Dynamics For This Useful Post:
RealShkillz (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
iJDMTOY

Drives: 2008 Honda Civic Si
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealShkillz View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks for any help!
1. That's a difficult question to answer. As long as you get the correct base size, it'll fit the socket and all. The issue comes to the style of LED bulb, there are so many styles of LED bulbs with different amounts of LED chips which can dictate the physical size of the bulb.

Keep in mind that just because there are 100-SMD LED chips on the bulb, it's going to be as bright as the sun. LED brightness depends on the type of chip being used; i.e. three 1210 LED chips is equivalent to about one 5050 style LED chip, etc. Sometimes less is more, it all depends on the bulb and who you get it from.

2. You can use CREE LED bulbs for other parts of the car, but make sure you research the bulb you're getting. CREE LED bulbs are indeed bright, but brighter LED chips tend to create more heat and heat dissipation is critical to the life of an LED bulb.

3. 12v is a requirement for all or most aftermarket LED bulbs. Your car uses different wattage incandescent bulbs depending on how bright it needs to be, but with LED's, the wattage produced is much less and shouldn't be the determining factor in the purchase.

LED brightness is measured in lumens and that should be your deciding factor in which one to buy, more lumens = brighter.

I would recommend contacting the people you are interested in buying from and they should be able to give you a more definite answer as every retailer has different products. :happy0180:
iJDMTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iJDMTOY For This Useful Post:
RealShkillz (07-05-2013)