follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #1
Zackh10

Drives: 2013 Subaru Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exhaust Setups Need advice/ Questions Answered

Hello everyone, I just got a 2013 Brz and ive been looking around at things to do/add to the car.

So far I've got an OFT and i went with a Spec D tuning full catback exhaust.
I'm currently using a backfire tune that i made after following a few guides on the forums here and ive read that if you go with a catless frontpipe or headers you could shoot flames and that it really brings out the boxer rumble.

Not too concerned with the flames although it sounds cool, but could anyone point me in a direction for what to choose?? The car has alot of drone with the exhaust but ive gotten used to it, so im not looking to make the car sound like a racecar, but more to bring out the rumble and have a cleaner exhaust note.

I've been looking at getting Uel headers but then i heard that i should just get a catless frontpipe, but now im concerned that UEL would make it too loud and that i should go Equal length. I'm pretty new and ive just started learning about cars and things so take it easy on me, thanks!!
Zackh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
j5o5n

Drives: Man
Garage
Send a message via ICQ to j5o5n Send a message via AIM to j5o5n Send a message via Yahoo to j5o5n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackh10 View Post
Hello everyone, I just got a 2013 Brz and ive been looking around at things to do/add to the car.

I'm currently using a backfire tune that i made after following a few guides on the forums here and ive read that if you go with a catless frontpipe or headers you could shoot flames and that it really brings out the boxer rumble.

Not too concerned with the flames although it sounds cool, but could anyone point me in a direction for what to choose?? The car has alot of drone with the exhaust but ive gotten used to it, so im not looking to make the car sound like a racecar, but more to bring out the rumble and have a cleaner exhaust note.

I've been looking at getting Uel headers but then i heard that i should just get a catless frontpipe, but now im concerned that UEL would make it too loud and that i should go Equal length. I'm pretty new and ive just started learning about cars and things so take it easy on me, thanks!!
I personally recommend catless headers and a HFC front pipe if you want a good sound, if you go full catless it won't sound good with that CB in my opinion.. Also you get more performance from catless headers if that's your thing, and if you are wanting the boxer rumble the uel is the only way to do that, however el sounds good as well, just know no cats with a poorly resonated CB = rasp

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
j5o5n is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to j5o5n For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

If you want the rumble you 100% need to get uel. Want it quiet? Don't get a spec d. Spec d is loud as fk and a bit raspy. I know, I had one for over a year. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not going to be quiet. Not even with the silencers on.

I have gruppe s uel headers and I had them with the spec d. Very loud, don't expect to take long trips while keeping your hearing and level head (it will be vibrating for an hour after a 50m trip).

You can't have flames with a cat unless your car is on fire. Stock has 2 cats (headers and fp).

Mine was catless and it was over 110db (with a phone app) easy. Sounds good, but just so very loud.

Cats help prevent rasp and quiet it a little. Now I have a cat, resonator and 7" muffler to keep the sound down to mostly reasonable.

It should be a temp exhaust for you as it was for me, or even a throw on for shows exhaust if you want loud, pops, and flames.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

Last edited by Strife26; 09-04-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Strife26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:57 PM   #4
MCTeeJ

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah I think you should toss the Spec D down the line for a superior quality product.

The largest power gain is in the header. Yes, you can pick up a few hp with a catless front pipe, but be sure to get one that is resonated.

In the simplest of terms UEL is boxer rumble+mid range torque while EL is a smoother more 4cylinder-esque sound with a bit more top end hp.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Random thoughts in no particular order:

1) SpecD catback is loud and droney, as you already know. But further exhaust modifications will greatly exacerbate those characteristics.

2) To shoot flames, you need to be fully catless

3) If you're fully catless, your car will smell like shit and will probably be a little farty

4) Most of the NA power to be gained on this platform is from a catless header. Catted headers seem like a good way to spend money without getting anything in return.

5) UEL and EL headers will have similar volumes, barring other factors. The only difference is rumble vs hondaboi.

6) All things considered, I would suggest a catless header (UEL or EL, depending on your preference) and a catted and resonated FP, like the ultra-quiet FP from JDL. That will give you a good power bump while preventing the fart noises and stinkiness. But once you go that route, you might find the SpecD is too much. If that's the case, I suggest a Perrin 2.5" resonated catback or the Q300.

7) Seriously, if you put a catless header with that SpecD you might hate your life. Seriously.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:37 PM   #6
j5o5n

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to j5o5n Send a message via AIM to j5o5n Send a message via Yahoo to j5o5n

Here is a clip I just made my setup is in the description,this full exhaust setup was close to 1200$ for everything so not crazy expensive considering some CB are close to that

Old 09-04-2018, 04:53 PM   #7
Strife26

I imagine he's going spec d for the price. They are less than 400.

Id get it (already did) but consider it temp. Even if you like it, you'll want a newer quieter setup eventually regardless of your age lol. My head would literally feel like it's vibrating after driving 30 or more miles.

My new setup (can find sounds on my channel above) is amazing imo. It was 3x the price but 100x worth it.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #8
j5o5n

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post
I imagine he's going spec d for the price. They are less than 400.

Id get it (already did) but consider it temp. Even if you like it, you'll want a newer quieter setup eventually regardless of your age lol. My head would literally feel like it's vibrating after driving 30 or more miles.

My new setup (can find sounds on my channel above) is amazing imo. It was 3x the price but 100x worth it.

My cat back was 350$ and is 2.75" by a decent name brand manzo/Megan, so I don't think that price is completely outrageous at least in comparison to the spec D

Old 09-04-2018, 06:11 PM   #9
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by j5o5n View Post
My cat back was 350$ and is 2.75" by a decent name brand manzo/Megan, so I don't think that price is completely outrageous at least in comparison to the spec D

So many hate on both of those. Idk if they are higher quality but Megan is Def a bigger name. Nothing against them. I was actually looking at both. I can't remember why I went with spec d, but had always planned to get something better.
Maybe he's going for the n1 knockoff? I think that may be why I got it.

Why do people hate Megan? They were cool when I had an sti 10 years ago now I see this community calling them trash. Sorry kinda a hijack.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:19 PM   #10
j5o5n

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post
So many hate on both of those. Idk if they are higher quality but Megan is Def a bigger name. Nothing against them. I was actually looking at both. I can't remember why I went with spec d, but had always planned to get something better.
Maybe he's going for the n1 knockoff? I think that may be why I got it.

Why do people hate Megan? They were cool when I had an sti 10 years ago now I see this community calling them trash. Sorry kinda a hijack.

No worries, but I feel the same honestly I remember all the 350Z's used to run Megan exhaust and suspension setups, but point being you're current setup is really nice and it shows in the quality but for those not wanting to spend 1500 plus on a full exhaust I recommend the manzo cat back, its severely underrated

The Following User Says Thank You to j5o5n For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #11
Zackh10

Yea so i indeed went with the Spec D just based on the price, i got a deal and picked one up for $150 with the blue tips because the guy had an UEL and said it was un-driveable.

I only purchased this as a temporary fix because i didnt like how quiet it was stock. I guess ill saveup some more and get a catted resonated Front pipe and a catless UEL. I guess ill have to find a new Catback or something similar before i go UEL though. I think im going to get the phone app to see how many db it is with just the spec d because it really is loud.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zackh10 For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #12
Zackh10

Quote:
Originally Posted by j5o5n View Post
I personally recommend catless headers and a HFC front pipe if you want a good sound, if you go full catless it won't sound good with that CB in my opinion.. Also you get more performance from catless headers if that's your thing, and if you are wanting the boxer rumble the uel is the only way to do that, however el sounds good as well, just know no cats with a poorly resonated CB = rasp

So for the frontpipe i found the Motiv HFC but idk if its resonated or catless
and for UEL's what should i go with?? and will i have to change my CB before i even think about getting UEL's or a frontpipe?
Old 09-06-2018, 09:33 AM   #13
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
You want catless for your UEL as that will give you the most gains and the rumble you want. Gruppe-s is the best bang for buck for performance and quality.

If you do go catless for the front pipe I highly recommend HKS dual resonated fp, it will kill the nasty sounds while still being free flowing.

In the end your current catback is probably going to be the worst sound problem so there are plenty of stock style quieter but free flowing catbacks out there. Some of the better ones are the Q300, Perrin, and HKS Legamax Premium or Sport
Old 09-06-2018, 09:48 AM   #14
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Quote:
So for the frontpipe i found the Motiv HFC but idk if its resonated or catless
and for UEL's what should i go with?? and will i have to change my CB before i even think about getting UEL's or a frontpipe?
HFC = High Flow Cat and they are not resonated. If you found a used Motiv pipe thats great or you can look into Berk they are a good price and not as expensive as the Motiv. For the header there is JDL, Tomei, Gruppe-S, FT86SF, Ace, but Gruppe-S is also not as expensive as the others, but it is a solid header. You can piece your exhaust in whatever order you want just know that the header is usually the loudest part in the exhaust. If i were you id start with the header and go down to front pipe then the catback exhaust.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tuning