follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
ChRZ

Drives: 2017 BRZ SP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Diff Mount Inserts install - Diff won't lower???

Ok I'm at a loss...I am trying to install the Whiteline KDT925 diff insert bushings and after I remove the two front bolts (while supporting the diff with a jack) then try lower the diff a half inch or so to get the bushings in, the diff is not going anywhere. It is not moving downward like it should.

As I look at it this makes sense. The diff rear bushings are supporting the up and down movement of the diff, and the front of the diff is tied to the driveshaft, so how is it supposed to lower down just by unbolting the two front diff mounts? Seems like the driveshaft would need to be unbolted to allow the front of the diff to tilt downwards some (towards the front of the car)
I'm confused. The instructions just say to do as I described above, no mention of unbolting anything else, and I haven't seen any challenges mentioned by anyone either when discussing these, just lots of talk about NVH...

Just for kicks I tried loosening the 4 subframe mounts but then realized that doesn't help either, just lowers the whole assembly altogether- diff and subframe.
ChRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #2
Somerandom18

Drives: 2017 manual BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I never bothered supporting it with a jack. The cradle bolts hold it well enough. It dropped down just enough to slip the inserts above the bushings.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Somerandom18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:06 PM   #3
ChRZ

Drives: 2017 BRZ SP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ok, nevermind, I got impatient and figured it out.
I unbolted the three rear bolts in addition to the front 2, while supporting the differential, and that worked perfectly. Was able to lower the diff down exactly as needed and get the front bushings in.

Again, the instructions just say: "Support the differential....unbolt the two front bolts....lower the diff a half inch.....voila. Insert your bushing inserts and you're on your way. It then says to bolt them back up, torqe em to spec, then move on to the rear three bolts. So according to the instructions the rear three bolts were supposed to be there the whole time I was doing the front two???

Anyways I got it, so this post may help out the next person who runs into this problem in the future. Still, I'm curious as to how others accomplished this. Are the Whiteline instructions just wrong?

Side note....quick review. I did the subframe and the diff bushing inserts together and it is awesome. Right away as I pulled out of my driveway it was more connected. No more caboose effect. Taking up the clutch is so much more solid and instant into 2nd and 3rd gear.
I was nervous about making my nice smooth quiet 2017 (1st brand new car ever) a rattle box but it's totally fine. Definitely a little clunk here and there when taking up the clutch, some diff noise when turning at low speeds as the torsen bits are getting loaded and doing their job, and overall a slight bit more low hum from the chassis above about 25mph. The thing I notice most of all is when I am really on it, like over 5k, it sounds like the exhaust/engine is louder, but it's actually just the drivetrain. Still on stock exhaust but feels like I put on a catback when I get on it, but like normal when I'm not. I like it. It's like I'm more part of the car.
ChRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChRZ For This Useful Post:
Somerandom18 (07-16-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 08:51 PM   #4
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
There's no way the diff will drop with the rear bolts all the way in, what you ended up doing is exactly what I did to install mine as well.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:07 AM   #5
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Mine drooped far enough just by removing the two front bolts.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Somerandom18 (07-17-2017), wparsons (07-17-2017)