follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #1
JR23

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Possible to get burbles after acceleration?

Hello everyone, to start off I just want to mention I don’t know much about running at all.

But I was wondering if it’s possible to get subtle burbles out of our exhausts after accelerating. The type of burbles that you would hear from a Veloster N-spec or a BMW M3.

I’m not referring to the pop tune ones where you can accelerate and then slightly press on the gas and then the car backfires. I’m speaking burbles that strictly come from after letting go of the accelerator.

I don’t know if this is possible for our cars but I was curious and thought I’d ask the experts on here. Thank you for your time.
JR23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:40 PM   #2
Gamace

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR23 View Post
Hello everyone, to start off I just want to mention I don’t know much about running at all.

But I was wondering if it’s possible to get subtle burbles out of our exhausts after accelerating. The type of burbles that you would hear from a Veloster N-spec or a BMW M3.

I’m not referring to the pop tune ones where you can accelerate and then slightly press on the gas and then the car backfires. I’m speaking burbles that strictly come from after letting go of the accelerator.

I don’t know if this is possible for our cars but I was curious and thought I’d ask the experts on here. Thank you for your time.
Do you mean like when you hear the boxer rumble deceleration sounds?

Toyota 86 in the building!
Gamace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:20 PM   #3
JR23

Drives: 2015 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamace View Post
Do you mean like when you hear the boxer rumble deceleration sounds?

Here’s a video of the burbles I meant after pressing on the accelerator. Their subtle but there.

JR23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:29 PM   #4
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you just get a regular stage 1 tune and a catback or muffler delete you'll get some random backfires which are a lot of fun. The car will still keep its normal exhaust character.

If you go stage 2 with a header change and exhaust, you'll get a lot more of that, but it will still be livable and not sound like a popcorn machine.

The popcorn tunes on the 86 platform that are specific for making pops and bangs are excessive and take away from the natural smooth running character of the engine. It just backfires all the way down on acceleration. I would avoid, it makes the car sound broken. I'd cringe to death if I was slowing down through a construction zone or a speed trap and it sounds like slapping and banging in the back of the car.

Last edited by radroach; 06-17-2020 at 08:46 PM.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:01 PM   #5
Gamace

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR23 View Post
Here’s a video of the burbles I meant after pressing on the accelerator. Their subtle but there.

My HKS Deep Package has some burbles but its the Subaru Rumble burbles which is orgasmic! But its not as loud as that video you sent. Different strokes for different folks though as I don't like my exhaust note loud, just deep.

The other guy is correct about the backfire tunes for this car. The backfires to me just ruins a car.

Gamace is offline   Reply With Quote