follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
FR-S89

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Suspension reccomendations

Hi all,

Finally purchased the wheels I've loved ever since I was playing gran turismo as a kid I wanted the wide look too and read that many of you are against staggered setups, so i went square.. the specs are 18x9.5 + 40

Now the next step will be suspension.. I have approx 3 months to decide on my suspension setup. I don't think 9.5 will clear on the front so am I restricted to coilovers, or can i purchase a good spring set as well without worrying?

This is my first time modifying suspension. I want something good for DD, won't be tracking - just spirited driving on country roads with twisties. Please recommend something suitable

Edit: i want a decent drop too, maybe 1-2 finger gap.But if this is not possible without sacrificing functionality then scrap it
FR-S89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
fika84

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S89 View Post
Hi all,

Finally purchased the wheels I've loved ever since I was playing gran turismo as a kid I wanted the wide look too and read that many of you are against staggered setups, so i went square.. the specs are 18x9.5 + 40

Now the next step will be suspension.. I have approx 3 months to decide on my suspension setup. I don't think 9.5 will clear on the front so am I restricted to coilovers, or can i purchase a good spring set as well without worrying?

This is my first time modifying suspension. I want something good for DD, won't be tracking - just spirited driving on country roads with twisties. Please recommend something suitable

Edit: i want a decent drop too, maybe 1-2 finger gap.But if this is not possible without sacrificing functionality then scrap it
I'm not entirely sure on the width issue and the coilover or spring, but I do know that if you search you will find a LOT of information talking about/reviewing different suspension setups that will do what you want. Seems pointless to start another thread about it.
fika84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
ApolloSki
Stealth

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You will probably want coilovers with that width as I dont think you want to run spacers. Look up ST Coilovers, good for a DD.
ApolloSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
What's your budget? And what type of tires are you running?

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Firestorm_86 (12-24-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
Pkush

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I have a similar questions, subbing to see what people say.
Pkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
FR-S89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
What's your budget? And what type of tires are you running?

- Andy
No budget in mind.. if coilovers are my only option then I would like to spend under 2g on coils. If those ST coils are good enough then 1,000 is not bad

Springs, hopefully less

I want to keep the suspension cost minimal, mainly to accomodate the wheels and spend the money on other mods like OFH + tune, but i don't want to compromise the ride of the car
Old 12-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #7
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
No budget in mind.. if coilovers are my only option then I would like to spend under 2g on coils. If those ST coils are good enough then 1,000 is not bad

Springs, hopefully less

I want to keep the suspension cost minimal, mainly to accomodate the wheels and spend the money on other mods like OFH + tune, but i don't want to compromise the ride of the car
Only to spend it later when you upgrade the suspension? I didn't see it asked yet, but what is your intended use? Daily? AutoX? Occasional track days? Show only? Ever need someone in the passenger seat without complaints?
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Only to spend it later when you upgrade the suspension? I didn't see it asked yet, but what is your intended use? Daily? AutoX? Occasional track days? Show only? Ever need someone in the passenger seat without complaints?
he said it in the beginning- no autox/track but country twisties and dd.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
cjd (12-23-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:

Springs, hopefully less

I think you would be fine with springs for your uses but I'm not a fitment guru on really wide wheels so that could be a problem. Our RCE Yellow springs are a great choice if you care about ride and handling. Only a 20mm drop though. You can go lower with just springs, but that's when you start making sacrifices (and I personally wouldn't do it). Eibach Pro-kit are another good choice and you'll get a tiny bit more drop.

For coilovers...

If you live in a salty environment, I would skip the ST coils. KW V1 would be the stainless steel corrosion resistant version of those. No damper adjustment, but they're pretty good out of the box.

We have RCE Tarmac 0 coilovers, which are a custom valved and sprung KW V1. A little more aggressive in handling than the KW V1 and ST coilovers.

KW V3 would work well but are probably beyond your budget. Lots of damper adjustments to work with and good quality. Not super hardcore race stuff, but good ride and handling.

Bilstein PSS10 (B16) are a good option. Great quality and durability, plus some damper adjustment to dial in the ride and handling. Not super hardcore race stuff, but a big step above a lot of the other stuff out there. You might have trouble fitting them due to wider progressive springs.

Bilstein PSS (B14) are an okay option. Non damping adjustable and inexpensive, but IMO they could use some adjustment. Also use progressive springs which could be a problem.

DON'T skimp on suspension...dampers are something you feel 100% of the time in your car, whether you're driving hard or not. If you get crap, it gets old pretty fast.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (12-24-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #10
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
he said it in the beginning- no autox/track but country twisties and dd.
Reading comprehension 101... I think I was scanning for AutoX so missed the "DD, no track" ... Even reread it before I asked! whee. And I actually managed to ditch the migraine earlier so that's not an excuse any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
DON'T skimp on suspension...dampers are something you feel 100% of the time in your car, whether you're driving hard or not. If you get crap, it gets old pretty fast.

- Andy
One unexpected back injury later and ... yeah. It gets old really fast. And I drove my previous car 13½ years, injured back the last 3 of that. My wife started refusing to ride only a few years in, but with <3000mi/yr on the car it was hard to justify a change.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
Koa (12-23-2014), Racecomp Engineering (12-23-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Im happy with my Fortune Auto 500s
Cockatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cockatoo For This Useful Post:
Kami Speed (12-23-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #12
Kami Speed

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Kami Speed
18x9.5 +40 will not fit stock suspension. The suspension will hit the wheel/tire. You will need at least a 3mm spacer to clear if you want to run just springs on stock shocks.

There a various different coilovers for this car, all different price ranges. A budget coilover for DD will be the BC Racing or Fortune Auto coilovers. Add some Swift springs and make them an even better coilover.

Or you can step up to KWV3 or V1 which is great for daily and canyon runs.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Kami Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #13
FR-S89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kami Speed View Post
18x9.5 +40 will not fit stock suspension. The suspension will hit the wheel/tire. You will need at least a 3mm spacer to clear if you want to run just springs on stock shocks.

There a various different coilovers for this car, all different price ranges. A budget coilover for DD will be the BC Racing or Fortune Auto coilovers. Add some Swift springs and make them an even better coilover.

Or you can step up to KWV3 or V1 which is great for daily and canyon runs.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
What would you recommend personally?

With the KW V1s/V3s i would have to buy top hats too, from my understanding

I just want no headaches, fit these wheels on my car and have em look good without a harsh ride... obviously will need an alignment but i think I can install myself
Old 12-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #14
Kami Speed

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Kami Speed
Yeah if you do not want to deal with the top hat issue. Than the Fortune Auto 500 with or without Swift springs are a great coilover for the price.

Swift gives you a more comfortable DD ride at the same spring rates. They are a much superior spring than any of the other coilover springs out there. They are also easily rebuildable with great customer service and a five year warranty. Comes with everything needed to install.

Last edited by Kami Speed; 12-23-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Kami Speed is offline   Reply With Quote