follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2020, 06:01 PM   #15
mrhayes1

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS white
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I actually hit a curb for the first time in my life about 8 months ago. And man I made it count, I made that curb my bitch. It was a very weird and oddly tight intersection and I scrapped both right side wheels (front and back) pretty good. I got quotes of over $100 to have it repaired (each wheel). Seeing as how the wheels are only $175 or so new, this was crazy expensive.

Anyway, I have a Dremel and so I hit them with that and grinded down the damage to smooth. It was pretty bad originally. Then I hit it with the polishing compound that comes with any standard Dremel kit. After, the wheels look fine and you can't even tell they were ever damaged unless you are looking at the wheels from a couple inches away. Even then, you have to really search for it. Since your wheels are black this will be more of a challenge for you then mine since mine were polished so there was no reason to paint them or anything. My suggestion is to leave it or buy a new wheel unless your are confident you can color match decently. You could easily repair the damage yourself and have it smooth, but respraying it to get a good color match will be the hardest part. If your wheels are more matte finish its probably easy to color match. Color matching gloss to gloss can be pretty difficult without respraying the entire wheel.
mrhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote