follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 07-18-2019, 01:52 PM   #169
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Update??

Just FYI there is a diff on FB market place for sale right now in PDX. 3.9 FD with Kaz 2 way LSD for 800.

I paid 575 for a 18' diff with a 4.3 so you could offset your cost selling yours. 4.3's are high demand for older cars like mine, they seem to sell quick.
Got a link?

I'd gladly sell my OEM 4.3 pumpkin; I currently run a 4.1. Good to know!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
mistople (07-20-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #170
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Got a link?

I'd gladly sell my OEM 4.3 pumpkin; I currently run a 4.1. Good to know!
It's an Lexus IS diff but it does fit.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PNW....81302638642068
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:52 PM   #171
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Jackson Racing C30-94 Supercharger + ACE A350 Review

Finally breaking radio silence! My wedding is behind me, and I can now get back to tinkering with cars!

I installed the Jackson Racing supercharger kit about six weeks ago, so I think by now I've made it through the honeymoon period and can give some thoughts on the kit.

Install

Jackson Racing does a great job of providing very detailed instructions with their products. I installed their NA cooler last year and found that, despite me being a relatively amateur wrench-turner, I could step through the instructions with relative ease. With the supercharger kit, it was more of the same.

Most of the initial work involves removing the bumper, the headlights, the stock airbox, and various pulley covers. I had an extra step to remove my NA engine oil cooler since I would be switching out the lines for the FI kit lines later in the installation. Installing the new pulleys and the compressor was by far the easiest part of the install.

Most of the difficulty I faced in the install involved the steps to rig up the charge piping and the intercooler + engine oil cooler + rotrex oil cooler brackets and lines. The charge piping steps are difficult only in terms of getting the tubing aligned correctly. The angled pipe that clears the rotrex unit to connect to the throttle body is still giving me trouble to this day. I've had to realign it several times, else it rubs against the rotrex bracket. I actually have a 1-2mm gash in the pipe which is causing me some concern. It sounds like it isn't a common issue, so I'll work with CSG and Jackson Racing to solve that particular issue.

The heat exchangers and their various lines gave me grief only because of the tight quarters in front of the radiator. It took me several tries to route the lines in a safe manner. I'll be sure to check on them throughout the season to make sure they aren't rubbing against any frame elements in a way that would cause them to rupture.

Aside from that, most of the install is just hooking up various lines and making sure everything is properly tightened. Priming the rotrex unit proved to be somewhat difficult as well. The instruction manual calls for light compressed air on the oil reservoir to blow the oil through the system. I had to improvise and use a bike pump with gaffer tape—whatever works!

Overall, if I can install this kit, you can install this kit. I've only been working on cars for a few years now, so I'm far from an expert. Kudos to Jackson Racing for the great manual. My only feedback to them would be to include more pictures!

Driving impressions

The short answer: It's &%#$@% awesome! Combined with the A350, the kit pulls hard from 3000 rpm and almost surges to redline after 5000. YMMV, but I've never felt that this kit has lacked bottom end. I don't know how much of this is simply the excellent A350 low/midrange, but it's extremely satisfying to drive even under street conditions. It sounds like a jet engine from 2500 rpm and up. Cruising around in first gear yields a very audible turbine sound from the engine bay. Heavy throttle will induce thrilling jet sounds that bring out my inner 15 year old again! Pulling to redline is all smiles. It certainly feels like a "modified" car with the sound unlike the Edelbrock kit.

Track day impressions

Here are a couple hot laps. Not my cleanest of the day, but hopefully it gives some idea of what it's like to drive a JR-powered BRZ around the ridge.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn1tApBsjTE[/ame]

Awwww yeah. Once I got used to increased speed into braking zones and through high speed corners, I was able to push the car to a new personal best time at RMP that was just about four seconds faster than my NA time. On heat cycled SX2s that have 10+ events on them. The JR kit completely brought the car alive on track. No longer am I sitting there waiting for the car to make some power on corner exit. I can stay in third gear where I used to go down to second and it will still pull hard out of corners. I can actually pass cars quickly when given a point by. It's just plain good fun. And that's the best part. The car is just more fun at the end of the day.

I set a best time of 2:01.09. My previous best NA time was 2:05.02. My tires have seen 5 or 6 events since that time was set, so I'd gather the kit yielded even more time than the data would suggest.

My only complain would be that the oil and coolant temps are actually higher than anticipated under track conditions. After a lap or two I'll my Solo 2 DL reporting oil at 245-258F and coolant somewhere in the 220 range (although I'm only looking at the dash for that one—I could be wrong). Apparently I can mess with the air guides around the radiator to help guide the air better. I was really hoping NOT to have to buy a vented hood or cut up my stock hood. I think it will be come all but necessary unless I can find another way to keep temps down.

One other obvious side effect is increased load on the braking system. Going into braking zones 15-20mph faster has had a significant effect on my Winmax pads—I've now outgrown them and need to move up to something with more bit and better heat capacity. I've actually turned the text on my Brembos yellow—bleh!

I also noticed that I am extremely grip limited by my old cycled out SX2s. I have a set of 5 (wet) lap old RE71Rs that I picked up from @rice_classic that I can't wait to throw on. I've been told to expect 3-3.5 second improvements in my lap time. That would bring me to around 1:57-1:58 at the ridge. That's fast. However, I've seen NA BRZs on R comps lay down that time, so there's still quite a bit of driver mod left!

Here are a few shots from my first event with the kit:

Summary

This kit rocks. After a somewhat rough tuning process (no fault of JR), I was originally somewhat skeptical that I would keep the kit. Now that everything is ironed out, and it's obvious the kit is rock solid reliable on track, I'm loving every minute. I know we've beat this one to death, but it's really how the car should have come from the factory. 275-285whp is just what the car needs.
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mistople For This Useful Post:
DuMa (07-24-2019), HachiRokuX (08-01-2019), jflogerzi (07-22-2019), kch (08-07-2019), mb_ (08-01-2019), MCTeeJ (07-22-2019), NoHaveMSG (07-22-2019), WC-BRZ (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 08:02 AM   #172
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
First of all. Congratulations on the wedding.

Secondly.... I’m mad jealous of boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mistople (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 10:28 AM   #173
mistople

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
First of all. Congratulations on the wedding.

Secondly.... I’m mad jealous of boost.
Thanks! You should sit passenger for a session next time we're out at the same event. It's a riot!
Old 07-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #174
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
I really would love to compare your kit with my setup. Right now I am still on stock breaks( waiting a good used deal for the AP Sprint kit) and rather small rubber. Curious how well they compare. I do have e85 and should be making around 280 to the wheels. Do you ever come down to the socal area for any events at Willow springs?

Edit** after talking with my buddy I am going to try and install the beatrush under panel that's meant to flow hot air out through the vents. For 200$ I rather do this first before I cut up my OEM hood. I believe it's the way Subaru and Toyota designed the hood to be high pressure zone. Current on a hot day my engine bay is a furnace after driving for 20-30 mins. Temps are still fine but it can't be good for everything else.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's

Last edited by jflogerzi; 07-22-2019 at 10:31 PM.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:15 AM   #175
mistople

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
I really would love to compare your kit with my setup. Right now I am still on stock breaks( waiting a good used deal for the AP Sprint kit) and rather small rubber. Curious how well they compare. I do have e85 and should be making around 280 to the wheels. Do you ever come down to the socal area for any events at Willow springs?

Edit** after talking with my buddy I am going to try and install the beatrush under panel that's meant to flow hot air out through the vents. For 200$ I rather do this first before I cut up my OEM hood. I believe it's the way Subaru and Toyota designed the hood to be high pressure zone. Current on a hot day my engine bay is a furnace after driving for 20-30 mins. Temps are still fine but it can't be good for everything else.

It's a long drive from Seattle to socal, but I'd love to do it someday.

I just saw that beatrush panel for the first time. I'd be surprised if it works better than traditional hood venting solutions, but I'm curious to see your results.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:54 AM   #176
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistople View Post

I just saw that beatrush panel for the first time. I'd be surprised if it works better than traditional hood venting solutions, but I'm curious to see your results.
Keep you posted.

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
mistople (07-23-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 10:52 AM   #177
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

I have a ace250 with sprintex 210 69mm pulley with WMI. For comparison purposes if you ever decide to get your car dynoed let me know what place you go and I’ll probably get dynoed on the same dyno. Would make for some good data for a lot of people to really compare the two kits in a close to 1-1 comparison.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (07-24-2019), jflogerzi (07-24-2019), mistople (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 12:41 PM   #178
mistople

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
I have a ace250 with sprintex 210 69mm pulley with WMI. For comparison purposes if you ever decide to get your car dynoed let me know what place you go and I’ll probably get dynoed on the same dyno. Would make for some good data for a lot of people to really compare the two kits in a close to 1-1 comparison.
Will do. Typically the dyno at Drift Office sticks a JRSC-powered card around 285whp, FWIW.

Another quick update: I had Doug at Chase Race chop the donut gasket off of my JDL UQFP and get it on the car. It looks and sounds great! The butt dyno results are hard to report on since I hadn't been driving the car much in the weeks before. I'll get some pictures next time I'm up on the lift.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:48 PM   #179
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Will do. Typically the dyno at Drift Office sticks a JRSC-powered card around 285whp, FWIW.

Another quick update: I had Doug at Chase Race chop the donut gasket off of my JDL UQFP and get it on the car. It looks and sounds great! The butt dyno results are hard to report on since I hadn't been driving the car much in the weeks before. I'll get some pictures next time I'm up on the lift.
I actually hit them up a while ago to tune my car and they said they refuse to ever touch another sprintex 210 kit. I never asked about just doing a dyno pull though.

but would just be cool to do dynos on 2017s with ace headers same year calibration dyno etc. main difference being sprintex vs JRSC instead of referencing an older dyno possibly a different calibration, weather, older year car etc...

But carburetor connection in kirkland has a dynojet, was thinking about taking it there would be way closer then drift office, but not apposed to driving an hour to drift office.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
mistople (07-25-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 02:30 AM   #180
mb_
Ex-MR2 owner

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Totally off topic from your car but I see a Canadian flag! Where from Canada are you originally from?
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #181
mistople

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
Totally off topic from your car but I see a Canadian flag! Where from Canada are you originally from?
Toronto. Now living in Seattle.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:21 PM   #182
mistople

I clocked in a personal best of 2:00.18 today at The Ridge in the still-incredibly-warm first session before running into car issues The track was also incredibly hot today, so things were a bit greasy even in the early morning.

After lunch I lost a lot power over the course of a session—it almost felt like I was running with no boost given that the car wasn't pulling hard at all. Typically I'll run 128mph by the end of the straight at RMP, but I was topping out at 115mph before hitting the quiet pedal. Not good.

I pulled in tried to diagnose the issue but couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. It could be a combination of heat soak and a not-quite-sorted DT tune.

I also saw oil temps peak at 262F today. Not sure what to do about it yet. I was really hoping to NOT have to buy a vented hood or cut up my own. While I was NA, the JR cooler kept them at a cool 230. I guess it comes with the supercharged territory!

The JRSC is great, but I'm finding myself missing the simplicity of NA today.

On a more positive note, the RE71Rs are awesome! I didn't find the absolute limit of the tires today, however. I could definitely feel them overheat after a few hot laps as everyone says they do. It was so nice to just be able to dig into corners and have the front stick rather than wash out. I can see how it would be hard to go back to the typical street tire selection! I ran them 32psi hot which seemed to work.

Hopefully I can get the car fixed up before Area 27 later this month!
The Following User Says Thank You to mistople For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (08-03-2019)