follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: Extend the warranty?
Yes 17 16.50%
No 86 83.50%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #57
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddreder View Post
I wish the clutch was covered under my aftermarket warranty.. I know it will be the first thing to go TU on the car. Also I have a feeling engine maintenance later on down the road is going to cost a fortune on this car. From what i've heard the valves need adjusted and certain intervals. And to do it You have to take the cams off the tops of the heads.. That job is going to suck lol

Also side note.. 5 year 90K best extra warranty I could get with a $250 deductible was only $760 lol They are so much cheaper through the bank vs the dealer
Some components of the clutch are considered normal wear items and might not even be covered under the initial warranty. In fact the manual specifically says "clutch linings" are not covered.

As for extended warranties from the bank they are often cheaper but are also not typically the same. They tend to have for more exclusions and limitations so just be sure to read and re-read the fine print.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #58
Ammunition

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I voted "No" - I got roped into purchasing the extended warranty, and thankfully I was able to cancel it (sans a $25 "processing fee"), and I'm glad that I did.

My FR-S was my first new car, and all of that pejorative language they use when trying to work out the financing got me to agree to it at first. Then I realized that I would be looking at an additional $2.8k, or such in the long-run, which wasn't worth it.

I would consider it akin to fronting an emergency bill with the doctor - like others have said, that money is best kept with you. When I decided to cancel my extended warranty, I had talked to several people that did purchase it with their car, and every single one of them said that it was not worth it, and they wished they hadn't been roped into adding it.

Extended warranties were a decent option if you had something like a Taurus (there's a reason you hardly see any of them on the road, even though you see plenty of cars around from a decade prior), but otherwise I would look at it as you would look at your own health - so long as you take good care of your vehicle, perform the necessary maintenance(s), there really isn't anything you have to worry about.

Sure, there is always that "chance" that you might suddenly have a heart attack despite healthy lifestyle choices, but I think that most people would agree it isn't practical to alter your life due to, and capitulate to that fear; if there is going to be an issue with the vehicle, it is going to be because of an accident, in which case the warranty isn't going to help you out there as that's going to be in insurance's territory.

However, this is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt if you do feel that the extended warranty is something that you want - either way, you shouldn't feel badly about whichever decision you make, so long as it is an informed one based on rationale, and with consideration to your personal situation - and not fear, or unsupported anecdotes (they probably fed you some story at the dealership about someone's car crapping out, and they would have been screwed if they didn't have the extended warranty - but thankfully they did, and they walked away with a brand new car).

I would think that especially in your situation, if you'll only have the car for a few more years, that this is something that you wouldn't need. Also, if you're leasing it, I'm fairly sure they will try to offer it to you again if you do decide to keep the car after the lease is up - GL with the decision.

Last edited by Ammunition; 05-21-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Ammunition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:48 PM   #59
Vroomin86

Drives: 2015 Fire
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I blew the tranny in my g37, if it wasn't for my extended warranty I would have had to shell out $4000.... sometimes its worth it
Old 05-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #60
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroomin86 View Post
I blew the tranny in my g37, if it wasn't for my extended warranty I would have had to shell out $4000.... sometimes its worth it
Actually, you would have had to shell out $2000 cause you already paid the insurance company $2000 for the extended warranty!

And once again, while not a good thing, would the $4000 expense have been catastrophic to your finances?

I am a firm believer in "Self Insuring" in other words, I am willing to take the same gamble as the insurance company. By doing so, I enjoy the same level of financial return as my insurance company.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:06 PM   #61
Vroomin86

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHOME View Post
Actually, you would have had to shell out $2000 cause you already paid the insurance company $2000 for the extended warranty!

And once again, while not a good thing, would the $4000 expense have been catastrophic to your finances?

I am a firm believer in "Self Insuring" in other words, I am willing to take the same gamble as the insurance company. By doing so, I enjoy the same level of financial return as my insurance company.

$2000 and well spent in relative to how many times that it happened- 4. Break that down and I paid $500 each time to have a brand new transmission replaced by an authorized infinity dealer.

Would I not had warranty? $4000x4=$16000... wouldn't even be worth fixing.. so again, don't knock something simply because YOU would never need it.

One point however.... Would I buy an extended warranty on a new car? no. Only used.

College person, shell out $4000 for a tranny or $30 more/month on your payment? ....
Old 05-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #62
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
$2000 and well spent in relative to how many times that it happened- 4. Break that down and I paid $500 each time to have a brand new transmission replaced by an authorized infinity dealer.

Would I not had warranty? $4000x4=$16000... wouldn't even be worth fixing.. so again, don't knock something simply because YOU would never need it.

One point however.... Would I buy an extended warranty on a new car? no. Only used.

College person, shell out $4000 for a tranny or $30 more/month on your payment? ....

I would suggest that you may have been driving a car that was beyond your means as a college student. So, yeah, insurance would have been mandatory to cover this event. As your loan officer, I would have demanded it.

That said, I had never heard of a Japanese car that lunched 4 gearboxes. Generally have to go American made to get that kind of consistency!
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NOHOME For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 07:44 PM   #63
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
it depends u wanna touch the eignine or not.

Can't give u an answer without knowing that
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:15 AM   #64
Vroomin86

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHOME View Post
I would suggest that you may have been driving a car that was beyond your means as a college student. So, yeah, insurance would have been mandatory to cover this event. As your loan officer, I would have demanded it.

That said, I had never heard of a Japanese car that lunched 4 gearboxes. Generally have to go American made to get that kind of consistency!

Don't let the mustang guys hear you saying that.

I do understand the concept of "if you can't cover it cash you can't afford it" and I try to live by that rule. However you have to know where you have to use the system. I was buying a USED manual transmission. Just because a Lamborghini is within you're means your willing to pay way more than you should ? Being in my means or not means nothing really, it's the goal that matters.

The car was under my means. I could have afforded a brand new one, but I found a 6speed CPO exactly how I wanted it and at a great deal.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:05 AM   #65
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

I'm sure lottery winners would say lottery tickets are a wise investment...but they aren't!

And that's all an extended warranty is...a lottery ticket.
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #66
Bergen23
Banned

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwot View Post
I'm sure lottery winners would say lottery tickets are a wise investment...but they aren't!

And that's all an extended warranty is...a lottery ticket.
I justified it by the added value services. My warranty was 1900. But it included 5 years of roadside assistance, that exceeded what I was paying for through CAA. My CAA was about 150/yr. (150x5=750). It also included 8 oil changes, which is about 90 bucks at the dealership. (8x90=720). All said and done with that, I'm at 1470 of added services, which leaves me with a balance of about 500 on the warranty. That's easily justifiable to me. I like doing oil changes myself, but with 50 or so dollars of parts, plus an hour or 2 of my time, I'm still at 400 bucks for those 8 oil changes, and a good chunk of time.

Some call it a gamble, for me it's peace of mind.
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #67
pcguru2000

Drives: toyota 86 2017
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyk View Post

I switched from Allstate to GEICO last November when I got my FRS. GEICO matched or increased every coverage item, added roadside assistance and 7-year/100k mile breakdown coverage for a ton less money than I was previously going to pay Allstate (without those additions). A total no-brainer. The coverage is extensive, gets great reviews and has a $250 deductible.
Can you choose where to have the car repaired under geico warranty? Do they give you the runaround to get the failure inspected? I'd be interested in finding out if you've had to use this since you post this a few years ago.
pcguru2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #68
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Put the money on a supercharger and don't worry about any warranty anymore while enjoying your car.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:19 AM   #69
Yoniyama

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It depends on:

(1) The reliability of the vehicle;
(2) The application of the vehicle; and
(3) The cost and coverage of the extended warranty policy.

The Toybaru is not as reliable as a Toyota Camry or Subaru Imprezza. On the contrary, the Toybaru has probably the worst in reliability of all current Toyota and Subaru models.

Do you only drive the Toybaru 9,000 miles a year and 99% on highway, or going to weekend races 52 times a year?

How much is the extended warranty and what coverage?

Do you drive a manual or automatic transmission? (The manual transmission tends to have more problems.)

Answer to the three questions above may yield different conclusions. Therefore, the right answer may be different for different people.

If you drive the Toybaru really hard, you may want to see if there is a cheap and good extended warranty available.
Yoniyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:55 PM   #70
JohnnyWarlord
TTC-FRS

Drives: 2014 FR-S Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
Interesting. I'll definitely will look into this. If it's only like $1200 or whatever for a legit Toyota extended warranty, I would get it. $2100 makes it hard to decide since those monies already could be used to pay for repair bills IF anything were to happen.

Thanks for the heads up.
Call Attrell Toyota in Brampton. They have always treated me fairly. Good luck.
They added 2 years so that makes it a 5 year and a total of 12500 for 800.
JohnnyWarlord is offline   Reply With Quote