follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-06-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
pleong

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cruise Control with Aftermarket Steering Wheel **SOLUTION**

(Wasn't sure if this was the right section to post in, but I posted in the electronics section as well)

So I've read a few posts on here about how people don't want to lose their cruise control functionality with getting an aftermarket steering wheel. Or if you're like me, you just want the functionality of being able to switch maps on your EcuTek tune.

I'm about to retune the car since I'm done breaking in the rebuilt motor.. I was trying to think of a way to retain it when it dawned on me.

I have no need for the TRAC/VSC buttons by the shifter. Especially since I have the @Beastronix module (which is an amazing piece of technology if you haven't tried it!) and he's been a HUGE help with all of his knowledge of the twin's wiring and electronics!

My friend Paul and I decided to utilize the TRAC/VSC buttons as the cruise control buttons, and no one would even be able to tell. Simple and clean.

We've both been quite busy but we have just now finding time to get this project started.

I bought a spare cruise control stalk and a spare TRAC/VSC unit from an automatic FRS.

Why automatic? Because it has an additional button/toggle for "SPORT" and "SNOW" mode. The only issue with having a MT FRS and using the AT unit is that it has two extra wires and pins inside the connector for the sport and snow modes. So right now the only challenge is finding the right pins to put into the connector.

We plan to use the sport and snow modes as the +Res and -Set modes.

The TRAC button will be used as the Cancel mode on the cruise control stalk and the VSC button will be used for the On mode for cruise control.

We're hoping to get this done fairly soon (hopefully by the weekend or early next week).

After we test it out and everything looks good, I'll probably find a way to make it look a little nicer with labels for cruise and some arrows pointing up and down and cancel lol but that's the last thing on my mind for this project.

Let me know what you guys think or if yall have any suggestions to make things easier or simpler.

TEAM NEMESIS | NEM 86 | IG: @NEM_86
PTE5858 Turbo | Integrated Engineering Fuel Surge Tank | 1300cc Injectors | Exedy Twin Disc | RAYS Volk ZE40 | 295/30/18 | 522whp @ 6,600 Dyno Dynamics
The NEM86 Build Thread
pleong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pleong For This Useful Post:
BAMF86 (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #2
BAMF86
much slow

Drives: 13 Raven FRS, 05 Rio Yellow S2000
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Can you please make a DIY when you finish? I'm tired of switching back and fourth between left and right foot to gas on long drives

BTW your tuner should be able to change ecutek map switching through max accel + defog switch, or just the standard traction control buttons
BAMF86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
pleong

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF86 View Post
Can you please make a DIY when you finish? I'm tired of switching back and fourth between left and right foot to gas on long drives

BTW your tuner should be able to change ecutek map switching through max accel + defog switch, or just the standard traction control buttons

Yeah I can change it but I've read it doesn't work well on the other modes.. I've always used the cruise control and I like it better that way.

PTE5858 Turbo | Integrated Engineering Fuel Surge Tank | 1300cc Injectors | Exedy Twin Disc | RAYS Volk ZE40 | 295/30/18 | 522whp @ 6,600 Dyno Dynamics
The NEM86 Build Thread
Old 10-06-2015, 02:34 PM   #4
adamg

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Cool idea!
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #5
djliquidsteele

Drives: Scion FR-S
Well if you have an FR-S, why not utilize the blank space where the seat warmer buttons are on the BRZ and just install a couple rocker momentary switches?
djliquidsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
pleong

Quote:
Originally Posted by djliquidsteele View Post
Well if you have an FR-S, why not utilize the blank space where the seat warmer buttons are on the BRZ and just install a couple rocker momentary switches?

My ethanol content analyzer is there

http://dsportmag.com/word/wp-content...olAnalyzer.jpg

The NEM86 Build Thread
Old 10-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #7
djliquidsteele

Drives: Scion FR-S
Nice. Well definitely do a DIY with the wiring. If you could show which wires to run to get yours to work, those of us that may want to install momentary switches should be able to figure it out from there.
djliquidsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djliquidsteele For This Useful Post:
pleong (10-07-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #8
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I came here expecting a solution. go figure...
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote