follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #29
sure74

Drives: 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Premium
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
If the car stalls, the key will still be in the ON position so the headlights stay on. My other Subarus all shut the lights off when the key is turned to ACC or OFF and I never had any problems. It was great because I never had to worry about running the battery dry because I forgot and left my parking lights on.

I tried the double-lock button thing mentioned earlier and it didn't work. I'll try to remember to test if the lights turn of automatically tonight.
I hear you about not wanting to leave the lights on but that is why I like the auto. At the same time I am glad that we have the option to override the auto lights, options are good!

Double lock is supposed to turn off the lights if they are left in the on position? If so that is pretty cool. I'll test that when I go to grab lunch later.
sure74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #30
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sure74 View Post
I hear you about not wanting to leave the lights on but that is why I like the auto. At the same time I am glad that we have the option to override the auto lights, options are good!

Double lock is supposed to turn off the lights if they are left in the on position? If so that is pretty cool. I'll test that when I go to grab lunch later.
Well it didn't on mine. But the post above said it worked on the 6AT. I have no idea why it would be different for a different transmission.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #31
86design
Attack By Demons

Drives: 2022 BRZ (pre ordered)
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
It's not a brake light, it's a rear fog light.
yeah lol that's what I mean't to say...
Old 06-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #32
86design
Attack By Demons

Drives: 2022 BRZ (pre ordered)
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotvoice View Post
"JDM brake light" is not a thing. That red triangle is actually the rear fog light and it should not be wired to any part of your braking system. If you DO wire it correctly, put it on its own independent switch or wire it to the front fogs if you have them, then post your pictures in my Rear Fog Thread - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4689
will do....were making a "on and off" switch...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p1azGa9oBg"]EDM/UKDM DC2 rear fog light installed on a 2005 Acura RSX - YouTube[/ame]
Old 06-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #33
robotvoice

Drives: 07 STI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86design View Post
will do....were making a "on and off" switch...

PERFECT!! That's the way to do it Make sure you post a write up with some pictures so others can wire this up properly as well!!
robotvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:24 AM   #34
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedbag View Post
Try clicking the lock button on your key twice, they should shut off after the second press. (they do immediately with auto at least)
Did not know this... will try sometime.
Quote:
I tried the double-lock button thing mentioned earlier and it didn't work. I'll try to remember to test if the lights turn of automatically tonight.
Bothers me too that the lights don't turn off when the ignition is off but I figured if you twist the light stalk to off then back to auto... BAM... the lights turn off. The manual control you wish for without risk of battery draining.

Toyota wants the headlights to stay on for a bit as a safety feature which, I think, is better than not. I've drained my battery leaving the lights on on another car (no auto light feature) after a 3am food run while working overtime, dazed and hungry. Don't know how human you are but I definitely am. Because of that, auto (compared to manual) lights are the lesser of the two evils.

Edit: I came to this thread searching for "brz cigarette lighter power when off" and just now realized all the June posts (other than mine) were from... 2012.

Last edited by switchlanez; 06-13-2013 at 03:34 AM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:53 AM   #35
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Old 06-13-2013, 03:56 AM   #36
Killerbee

Drives: GR86 / Supra MK5 MT / MR-S / Z4
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Did not know this... will try sometime.

Bothers me too that the lights don't turn off when the ignition is off but I figured if you twist the light stalk to off then back to auto... BAM... the lights turn off. The manual control you wish for without risk of battery draining.

Toyota wants the headlights to stay on for a bit as a safety feature which, I think, is better than not. I've drained my battery leaving the lights on on another car (no auto light feature) after a 3am food run while working overtime, dazed and hungry. Don't know how human you are but I definitely am. Because of that, auto (compared to manual) lights are the lesser of the two evils.

Edit: I came to this thread searching for "brz cigarette lighter power when off" and just now realized all the June posts (other than mine) were from... 2012.
To join in on the necro thread here, puzzles me a bit that my GT86 (with HID) and lights in position "on" does turn off the lights automatically when I turn off the car.
Either this is a brz special thing, or maybe its just an electroncal setting that is different in the US than in Europe. If that would be the case, you should be able to change this setting (like you can turn off the "beeping" sound when you do not wear a seatbelt)
Killerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:25 AM   #37
Froylavin

Drives: GT86
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
To join in on the necro thread here, puzzles me a bit that my GT86 (with HID) and lights in position "on" does turn off the lights automatically when I turn off the car.
Either this is a brz special thing, or maybe its just an electroncal setting that is different in the US than in Europe. If that would be the case, you should be able to change this setting (like you can turn off the "beeping" sound when you do not wear a seatbelt)
I have a GT86 in the Middle East and my lights also turn off automatically when I turn off the car, in "auto" and on the "on" position. Let me know if you figure out how to keep them on for 30 or so seconds after switch off. Its a feature I miss especially because the lights are so sexy
Froylavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #38
Marcoscrdo

Drives: 13' DGM Built FBM BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Brake light/Rear fog video would be amazing. Would appreciate it if done thoroughly step by step.
Marcoscrdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #39
Chee-Hu

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
When I first got the car, the lights would turn off while on "auto" after 30 seconds, or if the lock button was pressed twice. When I took it to the dealer to get tinted a month after, the lights wouldn't turn off unless it was turned off manually. It doesn't bother me now as I'm used to turning it off, but would like to have the option to leave it on for 30 minutes for security purposes (walking into the building while the lights are on, etc.)
Chee-Hu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #40
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I figured everyone knew that was there already
Give me a man who READS.
Attached Images

BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #41
laguayo

Drives: BRZ Limited DGM Automatic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So I've tested the lights on my Limited Auto many times and found:

1. Auto On Setting Lets light on for 30s after car is off, you can force off by double clicking lock on remote.
2. Full On Setting won't allow lights to turn off after ignition is off.

I like this feature because when I'm walking into my home at night I have the path lit up so I am not walking in the dark. What is annoying is with auto on setting and cranking the engine causes the lights to flicker with each crank, I think this will kill the longevity of my HID ballast or bulbs but eh I do like the auto feature on it's own.
laguayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:52 PM   #42
Snoopysvet

Drives: 2023 Wr Blue Pearl BRZ manual
Looked for the cigarette lighter, checked the manual, the index does not refer to a cigarette lighter, then I searched the forum! Thanks found the cigarette lighter port. I need it to air my bicycle.