follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #1
idkwhatimdoing

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S 1968 Camaro BB402
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ogura Racing Clutch 309D-SE

Hello all,
Recently ordered a new clutch and just installed it this weekend, felt I should post about it in case anyone was interested...
Mav made a post way back for the install of a 559(I think) which is the twin-plate version of the 309. The unit is gorgeous, the construction is similar to a twin plate but this one only has a single friction disk, and the pressure plate is comprised of two separate components: the floater plate and the pressure plate. I weighed in the assembly at ~21lb (mine is the lightweight version, with large holes drilled into the flywheel), and I believe the factory flywheel weighs around there (without clutch). This unit is rated for 300PS which is somewhere around 300HP. If anyone is interested Ill tell you my impressions after the break-in. One thing is certain, it is very noisy. Idling at 750-800rpm the clutch is splendidly silent. Once the car warms up and drops to its 500rpm idle the flywheel lets its presence be known to everyone on the block. Pushing the clutch in produces a metallic ringing noise but it isnt horrendously loud.

People WILL think your car is broken. Anyways, heres some pictures:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
idkwhatimdoing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to idkwhatimdoing For This Useful Post:
ls1ac (12-18-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 10:07 PM   #2
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Very interesting unit with obvious high-quality machining and attention to detail - please tell us more as things develop and thanks for sharing.
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #3
idkwhatimdoing

Update @ 1000 miles of driving!
So, initially this clutch was kind of a bitch to work. On and off, no slipping her. Im not sure what material this plate is, its most certainly not organic; looks to me like some sort of sintered copper/ceramic... anyways:
Ive noted that the flywheel tends to emit a slapping noise only once the engine is warmed up. Sounds like an old Mercedes diesel. It also matches the sound level of aforementioned Mercedes (you decide if thats a good or bad thing). Clutch in, rings like the lunch bell. Hard accel anywhere under 3.8ish-k produces a chatter. Decel from that rpm produces chatter.

With all that being said, I daily this car and I have to say its not a big pain, even when the clutch wasnt bedded in. Car feels faster, not sure if it actually is. Shifting close to redline feels fantastic, smoother than normie 3k shifting. You can certainly drive it on lower rpms, but in order to truly enjoy it I recommend flooring it. Careful of 1st and 2nd, theyll get you in trouble

Old 01-07-2019, 11:14 AM   #4
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Why did you not try the Exedy metallic clutch? It has been used for years by STI in the WRX (it was a part of the light track package) and by TRD in the 14R60 or as an optional performance part.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #5
idkwhatimdoing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Why did you not try the Exedy metallic clutch? It has been used for years by STI in the WRX (it was a part of the light track package) and by TRD in the 14R60 or as an optional performance part.

Well for one, that kit is nearly twice what I paid for the Ogura unit. Second, though Exedy may be one of the more secure choices in clutches Ive read on multiple forums that the more hardcore friction disks can wear out quickly from street use. The Ogura unit was rated very well over multiple platforms (S2K, Integra, etc.) and I thought Id give it a shot.
I also knew Ogura specializes in friction/fluid-coupling in the industrial world, and they made superchargers (OEM type stuff) for Mercedes (C230K?), Volvo and I think some others...