follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #71
Rasputin1969
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Drives: Subaru
Location: Alice Springs
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have joined this forum. Not because I own an 86. But to gain more info or to share my experiences with Ecutek.
I currently own an Australian spec Subaru Levorg with the 2.0 litre DIT which is the same as in the current gen WRX.
I went the Ecutek route due to wanting an etune and it was one of the easiest way of achieving that with off the shelf items and software. Albeit a bit expensive.
After finding a tuner who was willing to take on the task after trying one who failed miserably. Things are beginning to progress nicely with my tune.
Due to the time difference of being in different countries we have refined our workflow quite well.
The Bluetooth dongle works brilliantly for this.
What we do.
1. Log using dongle.
2. Upload using phone to shared OneDrive folders
3. When a revised rom is available. I download from OneDrive to a laptop and flash the ecu.
4. Rinse and repeat.

No requirement for emails as we chat through messenger.
Rasputin1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:23 PM   #72
B T
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Drives: 15 Supercharged BRZ
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 308
Thanks: 112
Thanked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My program failed due to faulty connection just after starting. I now have it reading consistently, but it tells me my license is consumed and cannot write the full tune into the car. Is there a way to salvage the license from a partially written ECM?
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:58 PM   #73
Tor
Senior Member
 
Tor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Drives: Toyota GT86
Location: Europe
Posts: 919
Thanks: 369
Thanked 545 Times in 300 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
My program failed due to faulty connection just after starting. I now have it reading consistently, but it tells me my license is consumed and cannot write the full tune into the car. Is there a way to salvage the license from a partially written ECM?
Call Ecutek, they can do it remotely.
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #74
Kodename47
Senior Member
 
Kodename47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: UK GT86
Location: UK
Posts: 3,029
Thanks: 185
Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,100 Posts
Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
My program failed due to faulty connection just after starting. I now have it reading consistently, but it tells me my license is consumed and cannot write the full tune into the car. Is there a way to salvage the license from a partially written ECM?
On 1st write or subsequent flash? If the latter you can usually get around this by manually selecting the vehicle and flashing that way.
__________________
.: Stealth 86 :.
Abbey Motorsport/K47 Tuned Sprintex 210 Supercharger

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #75
B T
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Drives: 15 Supercharged BRZ
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 308
Thanks: 112
Thanked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
manually selecting did work after bending pins in the ECUTek adapter. Then it has problems with a missing license. ECUTek gave me a quick turnaround in getting a replacement license. It's working again, Thanks
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to B T For This Useful Post:
steve99 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #76
djezlee
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 93
Thanks: 34
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I was thinking about buying the ECU connect bluetooth interface, USB dongle and a license. Does the Bluetooth interface eliminate the need for both the OBDII cable and the software programing package?
djezlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #77
Tor
Senior Member
 
Tor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Drives: Toyota GT86
Location: Europe
Posts: 919
Thanks: 369
Thanked 545 Times in 300 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djezlee View Post
I was thinking about buying the ECU connect bluetooth interface, USB dongle and a license. Does the Bluetooth interface eliminate the need for both the OBDII cable and the software programing package?
Yes. You need RaceRom too if you want to do any editing yourself. If you get someone else to make the tune for you, you are set with that stuff you mentioned.
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tor For This Useful Post:
djezlee (07-21-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 03:59 AM   #78
cool7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Drives: BRZ WRB
Location: 604
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If tunes are keyd to the dongle, what stops user from sharing the tune with another car if they buy another ecu license?
cool7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:49 AM   #79
tomm.brz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Location: italy
Posts: 1,446
Thanks: 343
Thanked 534 Times in 434 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Locked tunes don t open if you try to open them with a dongle that has a diffferent 6digit ID to the one they are keyd with
Open tunes open everywhere with every kit
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #80
steve99
Senior Member
 
steve99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: FT86
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,784
Thanks: 1,000
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,893 Posts
Mentioned: 552 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool7 View Post
If tunes are keyd to the dongle, what stops user from sharing the tune with another car if they buy another ecu license?

Thats possible but you have to ise dongle tune is keyed to, the tune is also not editable if its keyed so you cannpt open or change it jist flash it.


The second car would have to be same or compatable ecu calibration id and car have same mods
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:49 AM   #81
Seba
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Drives: BRZ Cosworth SC MY16
Location: Poland
Posts: 107
Thanks: 30
Thanked 72 Times in 44 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hello,

I have got some questions about ecutek BT programming kit before I get the point of it.
I already have a SC and a tune flashed with ecutek proecu kit by a guy who had installed my kit. My ecu has been flashed, so the ecutek licence is already in it.

I want to do a data logging , send it to my SC vendor to check if everything is ok. If a tuner sends me a new updated map, I would like to flash my ecu myself.
As far as I know I need a BT ecu connect with programming, that should also include a deskey/dongle and a mini - usb cable. The dongle has it's own ID, that I will send to a master tuner.

Am I correct?

Seb
__________________
Seba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:14 AM   #82
steve99
Senior Member
 
steve99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: FT86
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,784
Thanks: 1,000
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,893 Posts
Mentioned: 552 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba View Post
Hello,

I have got some questions about ecutek BT programming kit before I get the point of it.
I already have a SC and a tune flashed with ecutek proecu kit by a guy who had installed my kit. My ecu has been flashed, so the ecutek licence is already in it.

I want to do a data logging , send it to my SC vendor to check if everything is ok. If a tuner sends me a new updated map, I would like to flash my ecu myself.
As far as I know I need a BT ecu connect with programming, that should also include a deskey/dongle and a mini - usb cable. The dongle has it's own ID, that I will send to a master tuner.

Am I correct?

Seb

I have a blutooh kit amd yes it can flash via its mini usb portThe blutooth connection is for logging and interacting with tune via the blutooth ecutek app.


Ecutek now sell the blutooth kit with a dongle, you still need dongle and blutooth adapeter to flash a tune.


Ues you need to send the deskey dongle id to your tuner so they can key the tune to your dongle





h
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Seba (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 08:23 AM   #83
Seba
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Drives: BRZ Cosworth SC MY16
Location: Poland
Posts: 107
Thanks: 30
Thanked 72 Times in 44 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thanks,

so, all I need to flash the ecu is: a BT device , mini usb cable, a dongle.

A BT device alone and Iphone/Ipad app is only for data loging, viewing and canceling errors.
If I want to flash the ecu, I will use a dongle, a cable plugged in to the BT device and a laptop.

My licence is assigned to my ecu, not to the previous dongle that had been used primary. My new map will be assigned to my new dongle ID.

Correct?



Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
I have a blutooh kit amd yes it can flash via its mini usb portThe blutooth connection is for logging and interacting with tune via the blutooth ecutek app.


Ecutek now sell the blutooth kit with a dongle, you still need dongle and blutooth adapeter to flash a tune.


Ues you need to send the deskey dongle id to your tuner so they can key the tune to your dongle





h
__________________
Seba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:28 PM   #84
steve99
Senior Member
 
steve99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: FT86
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,784
Thanks: 1,000
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,893 Posts
Mentioned: 552 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba View Post
Thanks,

so, all I need to flash the ecu is: a BT device , mini usb cable, a dongle.

A BT device alone and Iphone/Ipad app is only for data loging, viewing and canceling errors.
If I want to flash the ecu, I will use a dongle, a cable plugged in to the BT device and a laptop.

My licence is assigned to my ecu, not to the previous dongle that had been used primary. My new map will be assigned to my new dongle ID.

Correct?

Yes correct


Ecu licience is universal can be flashed by any ecutel kit with dongle any id.


Tune files are usually keyed to a single dongle id. So if you change dongle id, you can no longer flash your old tunes untill tiner re keys them to your new dongle id, unless they were unlocked\unkeyed tunes but this is rare


Licience in ecu allws flash of thet ecu unlimted times
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Seba (01-27-2019)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PTUNING Plug and Play WMI (Water/Methanol Injection) System and ECUTek Tuning ptuning Forced Induction 71 02-27-2019 08:55 AM
Works Axle Back Muffler Review (Works ABM) ButeraFRS Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 16 03-15-2018 07:23 PM
WORKS Exhaust System - Development 86_ZN6 Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 305 02-24-2014 05:57 AM
Borla UEL Header, works automotive parts and ecutek tune clayrush Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 14 06-27-2013 04:37 PM
subaru brz navigation system wire diagram? watching movies usb works !! SgtBolt Audio/Visual, Electronics, Infotainment, NAV 3 06-22-2012 12:31 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.