follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-22-2015, 03:53 PM   #71
iJeff

Drives: 2016 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
I've never really totally understood the point in leasing a car.It's basically like paying rent on a vehicle.
You're paying for the depreciation. If you plan to change cars under 4 or 5 years you can lose more by selling the car than if you just leased it in the first place.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
iJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:05 PM   #72
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
I've never really totally understood the point in leasing a car.It's basically like paying rent on a vehicle.
Exactly. Most times it is used to pay rent on a vehicle a person could not otherwise afford, aka all the BMW leases. There are people that would prefer to have a brand new car every 2 or 3 years and leasing is a great way to do that.

Most people can never "win" on a lease though, just break even. leasing is mostly used by people who view cars as status symbols, or companies that need their executives to always be driving the latest and greatest.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #73
PoRco
Ef Arr Ess

Drives: Ablaze MT (2016)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Leasing worked out PERFECT for my situation because

1) I wanted ONLY the FRS. I was either gonna get this car or nothing at all. (I actually hated being in a car before I got the FRS, I'd get nauseous etc. I didn't "want a car" and then stumble on the FRS. I saw the FRS and then wanted a car :P)

2) Wasn't sure if I was gonna do my Masters, which would mean lowering my income severely and I would need lower payments (I ended up doign my masters, so thank god for that)

3) I wasn't sure if I was gonna be in the country 3 years down the road, and since I was getting into the "Car-world" for the first time, it seemed less scarier to just hadn it off to leasing company than try to sell it

4) I have no family whatsoever in Canada to pass the car on to if I want to mvoe to a different country for further education

5) This was my first car, and I pretty much learned how to drive MT ON this car. So I wasn't sure how bad I was gonna ruin the clutch/transmission. So I wanted the option to return it without cost (Turns out I picked up MT pretty fast and didn't do any damage)

6) I was just scared =/
PoRco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:24 PM   #74
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Exactly. Most times it is used to pay rent on a vehicle a person could not otherwise afford, aka all the BMW leases. There are people that would prefer to have a brand new car every 2 or 3 years and leasing is a great way to do that.

Most people can never "win" on a lease though, just break even. leasing is mostly used by people who view cars as status symbols, or companies that need their executives to always be driving the latest and greatest.
There are some great benefits for businesses to lease (tax reasons, no hit for depreciation on capital assets , etc). But ya for an individual it is just a way of having something they can't normally afford or if they will always get new every few years. Absolutely a horrid way to go if you clock up mileage though.
iJeff (08-22-2015), SkAsphalt (09-02-2015), why? (08-22-2015)
Old 08-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #75
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Really need ADVICE: Buy out LEASE? Or Lease New Car again?

I'd have been an idiot to buy instead of lease. I work for the big T, so my situation is different than most.

Sent from Tandy 400
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quentin For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-22-2015)
Old 08-22-2015, 08:03 PM   #76
Ec1990

Drives: '14 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post

Some people can come out on top but you just have to be well versed in understanding it. Such as getting a real low money factor and you can end up paying less that owning when done right. Additionally it can be better for those that like the safety aspect of it if something goes wrong such as it being a lemon. Much less hassle and less money lost. I've personally never leased but have looked into it. Also if it works out close to equal to buying but cheaper monthly why not take it and invest the rest. But hey that's just my opinion.
Ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:32 PM   #77
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ec1990 View Post
Some people can come out on top but you just have to be well versed in understanding it. Such as getting a real low money factor and you can end up paying less that owning when done right. Additionally it can be better for those that like the safety aspect of it if something goes wrong such as it being a lemon. Much less hassle and less money lost. I've personally never leased but have looked into it. Also if it works out close to equal to buying but cheaper monthly why not take it and invest the rest. But hey that's just my opinion.
You are right, but good luck going to a dealership and getting them to write the lease right for you. You need to understand every little aspect, and they make the lease forms so complicated it is not easy.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:31 PM   #78
RockRoll

Drives: 2013 Civic Si
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I'd have been an idiot to buy instead of lease. I work for the big T, so my situation is different than most.

Sent from Tandy 400
What is The Big T?
thanks
RockRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:04 AM   #79
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRoll View Post
What is The Big T?

thanks

Sent from Tandy 400
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:07 PM   #80
sachu

Drives: rocketship
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
I am leasing mine.
2 yrs, 15k miles per year deal. 268 a month.

Mainly to see how I like it and if it will fit into my lifestyle before i purchase.

after clocking 11k miles in the 9 months since purchasing it, I am still on the fence.

I am hoping someone can help me in understanding if there is a way to negotiate on the buyout price (currently at 22k). if I can buyout for 20k instead, i'd convert the lease to a buyout today!
sachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #81
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachu View Post
I am leasing mine.

Mainly to see how I like it and if it will fit into my lifestyle before i purchase.

after clocking 11k miles in the 9 months since purchasing it, I am still on the fence.

I am hoping someone can help me in understanding if there is a way to negotiate on the buyout price (currently at 22k). if I can buyout for 20k instead, i'd convert the lease to a buyout today!
Leasing a car to own it is a terrible financial decision almost all of the time...
Old 09-02-2015, 05:20 PM   #82
fridayfrs

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I am leasing mine.

Finish the lease then buy new. The residual (buy at end price) is set by the manufacturer is pretty high which makes it inexpensive to lease typically. I agree above lease to buy is not a smart move most of the time.
fridayfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #83
sachu

Drives: rocketship
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
yeah, that's what I figure. most of the mods i can carry over to the new car.

buyout at the end of my lease period is just under 19k I believe.
sachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:15 PM   #84
ntron1
Sarcastic Bastard

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ, '13 Mini, 1999 Blazer
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I am leasing mine.

Yes you can negotiate. The buyout price is the maximum you would have to pay to keep the car.