follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
sittinSideways

Drives: '13 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I dun goofed into a curb

Accident Report
Hi all. So a few nights ago I was driving at about 35/40 mph at midnight in a deserted part of town. I started taking a left turn across the intersection when the left side of the car jumped up, kind of in the same was as you when you go over one of those excessively large speedbumps you find in private parking lots. I pulled over immediately and heard my tires hiss as the air escaped.

It turns out I ran over an unpainted lane divider (construction?) - not parallel, but not perpendicularly either (kind of in between the two). I guess the curb ripped a hole in both tires on the left side of my car. Someone pointed out that they actually looked like knife punctures.

Initial Damage Report
I got out and saw two giant gashes in the both the front left and rear left tire sidewalls. Interestingly enough, the wheels were completely unharmed with no curbrash at all. I took off the wheels and inspected my tierods for play - found none. A cursory look at other pars revealed nothing.

Current Issues
So here's the issue: I got new tires on the car, but since the accident the steering feels really loose and sloppy. It's not tight and precise as it was before the accident. In addition the alignment is off, as I need to tilt the wheel a few degrees to the right to go straight.

My questions
I'm really worried right now that I'll never get that tight, precise feeling back into my steering.

1) Will an alignment for sure fix this issue?

2) Any chance of steering rack issues?

3) Will my car ever drive the same?

Below is a helpful diagram which includes an artist's rendition of the curb and tire damage. Those red marks on the tires represent the gash marks.

Thanks!
sittinSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,101 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittinSideways View Post
Accident Report
Hi all. So a few nights ago I was driving at about 35/40 mph at midnight in a deserted part of town. I started taking a left turn across the intersection when the left side of the car jumped up, kind of in the same was as you when you go over one of those excessively large speedbumps you find in private parking lots. I pulled over immediately and heard my tires hiss as the air escaped.

It turns out I ran over an unpainted lane divider (construction?) - not parallel, but not perpendicularly either (kind of in between the two). I guess the curb ripped a hole in both tires on the left side of my car. Someone pointed out that they actually looked like knife punctures.

Initial Damage Report
I got out and saw two giant gashes in the both the front left and rear left tire sidewalls. Interestingly enough, the wheels were completely unharmed with no curbrash at all. I took off the wheels and inspected my tierods for play - found none. A cursory look at other pars revealed nothing.

Current Issues
So here's the issue: I got new tires on the car, but since the accident the steering feels really sloppy. It's not tight and precise as it was before the accident. In addition the alignment is off, as I need to tilt the wheel a few degrees to the right to go straight.

My questions
I'm really worried right now that I'll never get that tight, precise feeling back into my steering.

1) Will an alignment for sure fix this issue?

2) Any chance of steering rack issues?

3) Will my car ever drive the same?

Below is a helpful diagram which includes an artist's rendition of the curb and tire damage. Those red marks on the tires represent the gash marks.

Thanks!
1) Alignment will definitely fix the turning issue but when you go to a Scion dealer to get it serviced when they go to align it they will probably find something else maybe a minute bend in the tie rods
2) Probably but maybe a slight issue usually your steering wheel will have a loose feel to it not as tight as normal
3) Yes if you get the problem found

I think it is best to go to the mechanic and told them what happened and tell them to align it and describe the issue of the steering feeling loose and inaccurate they'll know better than me at least good luck
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #3
SubaSteve
Captain Cocoa

Drives: CBS BRZ MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I wouldn't worry about trying to figure out if anything else is wrong until you get the alignment done. No reason to fret without taking the first step in repairing and see if if that fixes some of the things that are wrong.
SubaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SubaSteve For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #4
Bt216

Drives: Scion frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
That sucks it might not be same even if you do an alignment since the tie rods are fine.. the only thing the alignment do is make sure the car goes straight. I had a little accident like that and my car wasn't the same thats why I bought a frs
Bt216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #5
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
sounds like you just need to break in the tires lol

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #6
THA STI GUY
DRIFT BUILD

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Take it to scion/toyota or a good aligment shop have them check it out you make have still bent a tie rod or even a contorl arm slightly.

2013 FRS Rocket bunny- PETE
THA STI GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:32 AM   #7
GT 86 Brah
u aware?

Drives: it like a turtle.
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
op dun goofd
GT 86 Brah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GT 86 Brah For This Useful Post:
Burrcold (03-30-2015)
Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I would totally use that as an excuse to get different tires *grin*, Agree with what the others said...start with an alignment and go from there, you were moving somewhat slow, you stopped immediately and inspected. If you said you had rash on the wheels, maybe you'd want to dig deeper. People tend to end up with major issues when they try to gnip-gnop down the street on a limp tire.

I'm sure you've already thought of this but when they put the 2 new tires on, did they put them both on the left? Were they new or reclaimed/take offs? If you had a lot of mileage already they didn't shave them at all did they?
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
jdubious

Drives: 13 Scion FR-S
Two brand new tires on one side of the car will most definitely make it track a bit to one side.

Personally I would throw the new tires up front then get an alignment. If it still tracks a bit to one side you may have to drive it a while, sometimes the tires need to adjust.

Your rack could have taken damage but from the sounds of it probably unlikely. listen for any weird noises, bearing type squeal when turning, pop/clunk when turning at low speeds.

You should be able to get back into tip top shape without too much effort
jdubious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
Dustin2JZ
StatusLow

Drives: 2013 10 Series FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubious View Post
Two brand new tires on one side of the car will most definitely make it track a bit to one side.

Personally I would throw the new tires up front then get an alignment.
That's the same thing I thought of.
You always want to keep matching tires on each axel.

And all logic always says keep your better tires upfront. That's where all the "important" a stuff happens (turning and stopping).

There is a chance any number of things could be bent it it's probably the tires and alignment.

Good luck. Keep us updated
Old 03-30-2015, 05:39 PM   #11
sittinSideways

Drives: '13 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Threads like this are useless without updates. Thankfully I think I found the issue. First though, some background.

Right after I posted this thread, I went to get an alignment done. My specs were off, and they corrected them back - however, my steering didn't feel any better. I continued to drive for a few months like this before I started noticing an issue: whenever I turned right, the car would suddenly pull in very sharply, so sharply that traction control would have to kick in and cut power to my rear wheels in order to stabilize the car. It continued to get worse and worse over time. I took it into Toyota and they inspected it and found nothing wrong. They said it was probably my front-left damper, and that it wasn't dampening effectively. So, I ordered a set of Tein MonoSport coilovers and tested my car out on them - issue still existed, just as bad as before.

However, during the install, I finally found the problem while I was taking off my wheels. When I was taking off the left-front wheel, the one that hit the curb, I noticed it had a lot of play. A friend slipped under the car while I continued to shake the hub and he saw the problem: my ball joint was damaged and extremely loose!

I haven't replaced it yet, but pretty sure that's the problem. Just an FYI for anyone else who may be experiencing similar issues after running over a curb.
sittinSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:49 PM   #12
ntron1
Sarcastic Bastard

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ, '13 Mini, 1999 Blazer
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
1) Will an alignment for sure fix this issue? Nope, not for sure.

2) Any chance of steering rack issues? Yes, there is a chance.

3) Will my car ever drive the same? Yes, if you spend enough money.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:01 PM   #13
canadaRS1.0

Drives: FRS RS 1.0
shit like this is why i have no faith in dealerships, or most shops in general.

how do an alignment shop and a dealership both miss a broken ball joint??

that makes me sad.
canadaRS1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:05 PM   #14
Canehda
poverty cause racecar

Drives: Subaru BRZ JRSC'd
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
wow man you're lucky... the same thing happened to me but i hit the rocker panel... the entire rocker panel was destroyed and cost me almost $2.5k to fix
Canehda is offline   Reply With Quote