follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2021, 11:57 AM   #15
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Signed and breathed some life back into the thread.
Not that I personally wish to track but if there are two sports that should be allowed it is golf and motorsports. Like, really just how much more social distancing can you get while having fun? Unless of course people want to track their 9 passenger minivan full of co drivers!
Sure on track you're likely socially distanced (though people do like to go for ride-alongs) but there's still the behaviour in the paddock. Sure you're outdoors but do you really think all the people who go to all the tracks will remember to socially distance at all times?

The main reason that they aren't opening the tracks though is the chance of accidents leading to people taking up hospital space that's needed for the astronomical number of people catching covid. Ya those are pretty few and far between (anyone got the stats? number/yr in ontario?) but that's their reasoning.

I'm not really for or against opening the tracks. Those who know me know how much I love getting out there. Just stating what I've heard.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:15 PM   #16
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Disclaimer: I have signed the petition. I am also part of PADA (who started the petition) and I am also the CASC-OR Time Attack Director.

That said, the petition makes me kinda pause... on one hand, it seems somewhat out of touch while I see small businesses collapse and here's a bunch of "racers" who want to race circles around the track. Its somewhat tone-deaf to that side of things though you can always argue that the tracks also support a lot of small businesses.

Also, while the driving itself is isolated, the paddock and the car culture thing these days are viewed very negatively with people tending to gather to talk about cars and stuff. That alone, scientifically, would raise alarms as a huddle is something everyone should be avoiding.

On the other hand, there have been ZERO cases of transmission of Covid at a motorsports event based on what we ran in 2020. Granted, that was before we had the new variants but still. ZERO.

So, I'm kinda torn but still signed it.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
N_Raged (05-14-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 05:31 PM   #17
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Disclaimer: I have signed the petition. I am also part of PADA (who started the petition) and I am also the CASC-OR Time Attack Director.

That said, the petition makes me kinda pause... on one hand, it seems somewhat out of touch while I see small businesses collapse and here's a bunch of "racers" who want to race circles around the track. Its somewhat tone-deaf to that side of things though you can always argue that the tracks also support a lot of small businesses.

Also, while the driving itself is isolated, the paddock and the car culture thing these days are viewed very negatively with people tending to gather to talk about cars and stuff. That alone, scientifically, would raise alarms as a huddle is something everyone should be avoiding.

On the other hand, there have been ZERO cases of transmission of Covid at a motorsports event based on what we ran in 2020. Granted, that was before we had the new variants but still. ZERO.

Eh, it can be viewed a number of ways. The way I look at it is this isn't the only petition that exists that desires the same thing for its hobby or activity, this one is simply adding to the pile showing that people in Ontario are not happy. Look at 'OTA' (Ontario Tennis Association lol).

If we simply sit on our hands and do nothing, we'll continue to end up with strange choices being made by the government that no one will support and all anyone will do is whine about it endlessly. This goes for the whole of Ontario, not just pseudo racers with a selfish agenda.

From my perspective, there is a bigger picture, even if these people are rallying behind the wrong reason or voice, I think this can get a pass.

Don't even get me started on boomers and the wealthy and their lasting effect on the housing market.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:07 AM   #18
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
This, plus logistics/quarantine reasons is why IMSA was cancelled again this year. That alone will make me sign any petition to open up tracks. With GTLM dead next year, we'll never get to see/hear the C8.R's in full swing.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:25 AM   #19
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post

The paddock thing could be controlled with some very simple observation and enforcement.

The only objection I had with the statement of petition was the whole "it will reduce street racing". It has been my experience that the vast majority of people that participate in any for of street racing beyond "I beat you at the light" do not track their cars. Part of the whole thrill to them is the very fact that street racing is illegal and they feel like outlaws.
BrahmaBull1990 (05-21-2021), Jordanwolf (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 08:37 AM   #20
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Eh, it can be viewed a number of ways. The way I look at it is this isn't the only petition that exists that desires the same thing for its hobby or activity, this one is simply adding to the pile showing that people in Ontario are not happy. Look at 'OTA' (Ontario Tennis Association lol).

If we simply sit on our hands and do nothing, we'll continue to end up with strange choices being made by the government that no one will support and all anyone will do is whine about it endlessly. This goes for the whole of Ontario, not just pseudo racers with a selfish agenda.

From my perspective, there is a bigger picture, even if these people are rallying behind the wrong reason or voice, I think this can get a pass.

Don't even get me started on boomers and the wealthy and their lasting effect on the housing market.
The Boomers and domestic wealthy have very little to do with the current situation on the housing market. Whole blocks are being bought up by offshore investment companies for stupid high amounts and it is this more than anything else that is forcing prices up.
It is sort of confusing that in Canada people born up to 1964 are even considered "Boomers" in the first place. Anybody that still owns homes or has money will fall into the very tail end of that classification. In reality the "Boomers" here should stop at people born around 1955. Those of us at the tail end of the generation ended up with most of the bad things (decreasing pension funds, the reputation for having an easy time) and very few of the good (walk into a lifelong well paying job, cheap education, low property values, etc.). We are far far closer to what would be called Gen X in the US than we ever were to the Baby Boomers there.
Lynxis (05-17-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 10:58 AM   #21
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Quote:
The Boomers and domestic wealthy have very little to do with the current situation on the housing market. Whole blocks are being bought up by offshore investment companies for stupid high amounts and it is this more than anything else that is forcing prices up.
It is sort of confusing that in Canada people born up to 1964 are even considered "Boomers" in the first place. Anybody that still owns homes or has money will fall into the very tail end of that classification. In reality the "Boomers" here should stop at people born around 1955. Those of us at the tail end of the generation ended up with most of the bad things (decreasing pension funds, the reputation for having an easy time) and very few of the good (walk into a lifelong well paying job, cheap education, low property values, etc.). We are far far closer to what would be called Gen X in the US than we ever were to the Baby Boomers there.
I think that goes for the majority of people who find themselves at the top or bottom of these "gen" ranges. In reality there is a lot of overlap.
I think at this point there is no hope for affordable housing for millennials/gen Z until the boomers and GenX start dying off and we see a mass transfer of wealth. While that sounds great, it will also exacerbate the wealth inequality. I think most Canadians think we're immune to issues America faces in mass wealth inequality but all it takes is a few bad policies and we'll be right there with them. Its clear the government has no intention of stepping in and cooling off the market. The amount of money CMHC pumped into the market during the pandemic was a solid indication.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RayRay88 For This Useful Post:
Berserker (05-14-2021), Lynxis (05-17-2021), Tcoat (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 11:57 AM   #22
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Sorry, when I was saying boomers and wealthy I was over generalizing and including policy makers and people in power (because they're of these standings more often than not).

As a millennial, the most hated generation at the moment (maybe boomers now), like mentioned above, waiting for a wealth transfer in order to be able to afford anything would be an absolute joke, I would be in my 70s. Policy makers and those in power DO NOT care about the up and coming generations of the masses clearly as it seems they're more set on allowing a homeless generation to conjure itself, or get into an extreme debt sentence that will reduce your ability to do much of anything else.

Maybe I'm just greedy and think myself and other young people deserve a lot more, a chance rather, despite being seen as given handouts all the time from those who had to 'struggle'.

I'm going to go build a tiny home.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Berserker (05-14-2021), BrahmaBull1990 (05-21-2021), Tcoat (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 12:07 PM   #23
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
I think that goes for the majority of people who find themselves at the top or bottom of these "gen" ranges. In reality there is a lot of overlap.
I think at this point there is no hope for affordable housing for millennials/gen Z until the boomers and GenX start dying off and we see a mass transfer of wealth. While that sounds great, it will also exacerbate the wealth inequality. I think most Canadians think we're immune to issues America faces in mass wealth inequality but all it takes is a few bad policies and we'll be right there with them. Its clear the government has no intention of stepping in and cooling off the market. The amount of money CMHC pumped into the market during the pandemic was a solid indication.
Nothing sounds great about waiting for my parents that are only 20 years older than me to die off so I can afford a home.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 09:56 PM   #24
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Sorry, when I was saying boomers and wealthy I was over generalizing and including policy makers and people in power (because they're of these standings more often than not).

As a millennial, the most hated generation at the moment (maybe boomers now), like mentioned above, waiting for a wealth transfer in order to be able to afford anything would be an absolute joke, I would be in my 70s. Policy makers and those in power DO NOT care about the up and coming generations of the masses clearly as it seems they're more set on allowing a homeless generation to conjure itself, or get into an extreme debt sentence that will reduce your ability to do much of anything else.

Maybe I'm just greedy and think myself and other young people deserve a lot more, a chance rather, despite being seen as given handouts all the time from those who had to 'struggle'.

I'm going to go build a tiny home.

I think whatever generation you are part of is the generation you'll probably think is most hated although, even as an older millennial, I think boomers objectively take the most shit. I have a lot to say on the matter but this is a car forum so let's try to get back on track.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:24 PM   #25
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
I think whatever generation you are part of is the generation you'll probably think is most hated although, even as an older millennial, I think boomers objectively take the most shit. I have a lot to say on the matter but this is a car forum so let's try to get back on track.
I can agree, that's why I said maybe boomers now as the young people simply annihilated them via social media. Gone are the days we argue about the torque dip haha..

Let's hope the June events don't get canceled now too. I had big plans for this season to attend basically every autox I could, but things are looking bleak.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (05-18-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 06:42 PM   #26
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
There is some news out there for people who may have missed it.

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/1...n-the-province
Old 05-21-2021, 08:15 AM   #27
Muskoka800

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Release Series 2#439
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
There is some news out there for people who may have missed it.

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/1...n-the-province
Time to pull those new track tires out of storage! Yippie!!!
Muskoka800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muskoka800 For This Useful Post:
Berserker (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 08:50 AM   #28
Berserker

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Tmp lehgo