follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2022, 11:43 PM   #1
Zeuscannon3777

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Recall 2013

I have a 2013 frs
The day started 10-15 minute warm up
Drive for 3 hours. Then when I was pulling into canes chicken. The car shook and died. The maintenance on it has been done ever 6k miles. It was just hitting 5.5k miles. I have it sent to carmax for the warranty. They said they don’t work on engines. Then I had it sent to Toyota for the work. They called me and said it was a engine failure. Then call back 2 hour later and said there was no coolant. Brand new engine cost 17k. I start doing research and notice a recall on my car. I tell them it could be a recall. And they said due to there being no coolant it would be considered neglect. I reported it to highways safety association. That a company won’t do my recall. I have a few questions.
If a car doesn’t have coolant would the car last 15 minute being on?
Next isn’t there a safety shutoff for the car when it hits a certain temperature?
Instagram: complicated_speeders
No I don’t race the car nor speed. I am still paying it off.
Zeuscannon3777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:03 AM   #2
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuscannon3777 View Post
I have a 2013 frs
Drive for 3 hours. Then when I was pulling into canes chicken. The car shook and died. The maintenance on it has been done ever 6k miles. It was just hitting 5.5k miles. I have it sent to carmax for the warranty. They said they don’t work on engines. Then I had it sent to Toyota for the work. They called me and said it was a engine failure. Then call back 2 hour later and said there was no coolant. Brand new engine cost 17k. I start doing research and notice a recall on my car. I tell them it could be a recall. And they said due to there being no coolant it would be considered neglect. I reported it to highways safety association. That a company won’t do my recall. I have a few questions.
Next isn’t there a safety shutoff for the car when it hits a certain temperature?

1: Yes
2: No
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:01 AM   #3
gt86ser

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I have a 2013 frs
What kind of engine failure?
If the engine overheated that bad, if would of mix oil and coolant due to blown head gaskets. Some engine are repairable after a blown head gasket, if it wasn't driven to long.
gt86ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:08 AM   #4
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I have a 2013 frs
Also, The recall pertains to valve springs not anything related to coolant. So if you are losing coolant you have another problem. Good luck hope you get this sorted out.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vital For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 09:15 AM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt86ser View Post
What kind of engine failure?
If the engine overheated that bad, if would of mix oil and coolant due to blown head gaskets. Some engine are repairable after a blown head gasket, if it wasn't driven to long.
If the engine overheated due to lack of coolant the head gaskets may be just fine and nothing would show in the oil.
That does beg the question of where exactly did it go though? Also just how long was it low? If low for a while there could be accumulative damage and it just didn't reach catastrophic levels until the last drive. Should have been warning if that was the case.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:47 AM   #6
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Who did your 6k maintenance?
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blsfrs For This Useful Post:
FRSapex (05-17-2022), x808drifter (05-17-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 11:14 PM   #7
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
...I start doing research and notice a recall on my car. I tell them it could be a recall. And they said due to there being no coolant it would be considered neglect. I reported it to highways safety association. That a company won’t do my recall.
the recall is for a different part. but even if the recall was associated with the failure you're describing, failure to perform the recall means you took on the liability/risk of the part breaking.

it's no different than a buddy coming by and saying "hey, your water heater is 30 years old, you should replace that before it breaks." if it breaks a month later, you can't make your buddy pay for the new water heater.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:20 PM   #8
Zeuscannon3777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital View Post
Also, The recall pertains to valve springs not anything related to coolant. So if you are losing coolant you have another problem. Good luck hope you get this sorted out.
No losing coolant. They said that to no want to do the recall.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:23 PM   #9
Zeuscannon3777

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
Who did your 6k maintenance?
I did. I’ve been doing maintenance on cars since 07 or 08. There was coolant. The overall question is. How do I prove they are lying to cover their ass to do the recall. I literally bought the car November 2021 drove 250 miles out of the 10k miles on someone else put on. Then engine gets destroyed.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:24 PM   #10
Zeuscannon3777

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
the recall is for a different part. but even if the recall was associated with the failure you're describing, failure to perform the recall means you took on the liability/risk of the part breaking.

it's no different than a buddy coming by and saying "hey, your water heater is 30 years old, you should replace that before it breaks." if it breaks a month later, you can't make your buddy pay for the new water heater.
Didn’t know there was a recall on it. Carmax didn’t say there was or wasn’t. Overall question everyone’s skipping. After they first said it was a mechanical failure. Then a full 24 hours later call and say there was no coolant and now they can’t do anything. How do I prove they are lying about it
Old 05-17-2022, 01:01 AM   #11
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
No shit they said the engine failed first then 2 hours later gave you a possible cause.
Step one simple shit like dead battery, no gas ect.
Yeah it isn't starting. Or was it seized?
They look into it further.
Now they find the coolant is non existent and call you back.

If you've been doing maintenance on cars as long as you say you should know there should be obvious proof there was no coolant, honestly IMO you should have way more info than this if you've been working cars this long.

How did the engine fail?
Seized?
Blew a hole in the block?
Ect?

When was the last time you checked the coolant? More importantly WHY did you check it recently if you've only driven it 250 miles in 6 months. You say maintenance every 6k but according to what you've said that means the last time anything was done it wasn't you. Also what is the month and year the car was built. I know you said 2013, but cars built in 2012 are called 2013's and some built in 2013 are 2014's ect.< ANSWER THIS PLEASE

You asking to have the recall done AFTER the car dies is like having the Takata Airbag recall done after the car was wrapped around a tree.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-17-2022), Th3rdSun (05-18-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 09:49 AM   #12
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
How long have you owned the car and how many miles have you put on it?

Did you yourself do the last maintenance on the car or did carmax? What exactly was done?

What was the open recall for? Valve springs?
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:04 AM   #13
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post

There was no time limit listed on the recall so it would be covered if it was indeed a valve spring that went.
Doesn't matter.
It apparently was not the valve springs that went.
If it was it would be one of about 5 reported cases of a spring actually failing.
If it was a spring the whole engine would not be taken out anyway.
There is a pile of conflicting statements here with the OP obsessing that they "lied" to him.
I see no evidence presented that it was NOT a lack of coolant and the constant referral to the recall is meaningless grasping at straws to blame somebody else.
You do your own maintenance and you sacrifice the documentation saying what was checked and any proof you could have had that the dealer screwed up.
This is no different than the guys that money shift over rev, throw a rod through the block and then say that the dealer must have screwed up their car.
All and all this whole thread is shady as fuck!
Opie (05-18-2022), soundman98 (05-17-2022), Vital (05-18-2022), x808drifter (05-18-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 10:52 AM   #14
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I did. I’ve been doing maintenance on cars since 07 or 08. There was coolant. The overall question is. How do I prove they are lying to cover their ass to do the recall. I literally bought the car November 2021 drove 250 miles out of the 10k miles on someone else put on. Then engine gets destroyed.
You have been working on cars since 07'-08' and don't know how to answer this yourself?
x808drifter (05-18-2022)