follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
Philly758

Drives: GMC
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Parking Lot Damage - Body Work and Diminished Value?

On Monday, 5/26/14, someone visiting my neighbor hit my parked car in my assigned parking spot. They didn't notice, but I definitely noticed when I brought the trash out later that day. Police were called, insurance collected and report filed.

I got one quote for about $1,000 to repair the door (it is dented) and re-spray/blend the door and fender. Based on the cost of the repair I am definitely going through insurance. Now, if I eventually sell the car my carfax report will state that there has been an accident, this will not help resale value.

My question is, will their insurance pay for the diminished value due to the accident? I wasn't even in the car and this was 100% their fault. Why should I suffer a potential financial loss due to their poor driving? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Although minor, I am SUPER anal about everything being perfect and I don't think my car could every be perfect again. I've started to consider trading in my car for something I don't care about...

Thank you,
Dan

Pictures
(Yes I am parked close to the line, but my neighbor doesn't have a car and cars are rarely parked in their spot. That and my neighbor on the other side was on top of the line so I gave them the most space I could without being outside of my spot. Regardless, people shouldn't drive into other peoples cars.)

Philly758 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philly758 For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (05-31-2014)
Old 05-31-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
mezdup

Drives: 2014 Ice Silver WRX
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
@Philly758 that's terrible, sorry man. did you ask if they'd be willing to not go through insurance? just pay the amount with a check or something so you could avoid the diminished value? i mean yea it's a lot but maybe they'd be up for it since their premium would take a hit too. it'd be beneficial to both of you.
mezdup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mezdup For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (05-31-2014)
Old 05-31-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Sorry for that but honestly that looks like a mostly buff job.
IMO If the offender gives you cash for the repair, I'd buff it and live with the remaining scratches and keep the left over cash. Then you won't be so worried about
Old 05-31-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
Philly758

@mezdup - I got a quote the following day and delivered it to them that evening. They called me the next day and said they had no interest in paying out of pocket... So I am going through insurance.
@ZionsWrath - Unfortunately there is a long dent in the door that you can't see in the pictures. If I were to receive cash, I would probably try to clean it up the best I could and buy something I really wanted for now (wheels/tires).
Old 05-31-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
NIN69
Izzy Gure (Senior Member)

Drives: FR-S TRD Release Series 1.0 / #1459
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Sorry this happened to your car. Someone may need to confirm but my understanding is the car owner has to have their own diminished value coverage on their own insurance policy. Still hope it works out. Keep us posted.

Visit me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/izzygure
NIN69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:06 PM   #6
Shneegle

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
The owners insurance is not in question so that is not even plausible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN69 View Post
Sorry this happened to your car. Someone may need to confirm but my understanding is the car owner has to have their own diminished value coverage on their own insurance policy. Still hope it works out. Keep us posted.

The insurance company that insured the guilty party is the one that matters. With this they will pay to fix it but my guess is that you will not see any Diminished Value from this.

My FRS was rear ended almost 8 months ago and I'm still dealing with the insurance company that insured the driver at fault for Diminished Value.

Diminished Value is tough to get but also depends on who the guilty party has for insurance. Big companies are more willing for diminished value while smaller companies will not give a cent without proof of diminished value. Could even require you to trade in/sell the car to prove diminished value.

Last edited by Shneegle; 05-31-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Shneegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
No cars are perfect. I could probably walk around your car and point out a dozen flaws... Might look into buffing it out and PDR. Doesn't look like it needs repainted.
Turbo95eg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
Philly758

Ok, thank you for the feedback. Diminished value seems like a long shot at best and not worth it for a minor repair (I could understand real collision).
@Turbo95eg6 - I'll see what insurance pays. I bought some PDR coverage when I got my car and haven't used it yet. I have a ding or two in the other door, so maybe I will have them clean up everything then try my luck buffing this out. It will surely be cheaper than the $1000 quote I got.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #9
dvdmzjr

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've had a few damage issues with my car since I got it a year ago.

Three weeks into ownership, I had to have the left front fender replaced, the door repaired, with both repainted, and the cost was about $2200. Parked car collision. I was parked, my DAD was not.

In a separate, and wonderfully shitty incident, I had to get the bumper replaced and the hood buffed out from a collision with a flying bumper from another vehicle. That one was only $600. I paid out of pocket for that one, just because I didn't want the headache of claims and explanations.

Either way, this car costs a lot to repair minor body damage.
dvdmzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:26 AM   #10
NIN69
Izzy Gure (Senior Member)

Drives: FR-S TRD Release Series 1.0 / #1459
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Always a difficult decision. Pay out of pocket or file an insurance claim and have it possibly reported to Carfax. Carfax for a vehicle has become the equivalent to a personal Credit Report for an individual.

Visit me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/izzygure
NIN69 is offline   Reply With Quote