follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2022, 01:24 PM   #29
Scargod
Track Day Junkie

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
Should be able to re-use parts from the last gen then. Biggest difference in the AP racing thread was the front knuckles had a small clearancing bump on the new bracket. Something most could fix with 2minutes and a grinder
I have all that might be required to modify anything! Is this the "AP racing thread" you speak of?
In this post JRitt said, "If we removed those humps on the bracket and left it on the same plane, that area of the bracket would have been thinned out too far to maintain proper strength."
While I'm not against making the decision about adequate strength, or taking a bit off the knuckle (or both) I'd need to get a bracket in my hand and likely have to commit to a BBK that I'll use with it.
I still haven't seen pictures of anyone doing it or measuring how much material was left...

The post by Pat is typical of what I've run into in my quest for PP brakes or better. I worked with several brake experts and Stoptech's engineers to design a brake system for my 818R. All agreed that I would be better off with big brakes on it. Better pedal feel, better response, less sensitivity and more headroom.
I don't care whether the stock sliders canwork for most people or be adequate. I stated my reasons for wanting them and Pat has ignored some of it and wants to tell me I'm wrong. Again, why did Subaru come out with PP brakes if they're not needed?
I don't want to fool with the stock sliders when trying to change pads in a hurry!

Last edited by Scargod; 02-14-2022 at 01:48 PM.
Scargod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scargod For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 03:18 PM   #30
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
yes, that's the thread and notch i was talking about. now, for you maybe not so much but it's important to note that they tested on a brz aluminum knuckles, where the gr86 has different knuckles that may or may not require the same clearancing. i don't think we've seen gr86 knuckles for bbk's just yet, but haven't followed that thread particularly closely.

i would argue that the pp of the previous gen was more focused on an easy cosmetic 'gimme' than on actual performance. aka, the sports car variant of those parking lot mall crawler pickups that are fully outfitted for overlanding, but the biggest articulation change they see is the curb outside their garage.
Tcoat (02-14-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 05:27 PM   #31
Scargod
Track Day Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
... i would argue that the pp of the previous gen was more focused on an easy cosmetic 'gimme' than on actual performance. aka, the sports car variant of those parking lot mall crawler pickups that are fully outfitted for overlanding...
My two track buddies with 2017 BRZ's, one with the Series Yellow and the other with a PP, and both tuned and sporting upgraded suspensions and slicks, tell me they are very happy with the Brembo brakes and never experience fade. One of them is an ex-SCCA racer like me.
I think the PP brakes are more than eye candy. That something is outfitted for overlanding means that it should be capable of just that, whether the drivers ever does it or not.
At least one administrator for a FB group told me that the average age of forum members were teenagers. A BRZ may be the equivalent of my first pony, but I've worn suits, helmets and Hans devices for a long time and I want real brakes at least equivalent to what the first Gen cars got!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scargod For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-13-2022), WolfpackS2k (02-17-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 08:55 AM   #32
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Our rear brakes don't overheat
Speak for yourself.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:47 AM   #33
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
Speak for yourself.
Interesting. Tell me more. Do you know what causes it?
Old 02-14-2022, 12:50 PM   #34
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Heat. It’s caused by heat.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 01:07 PM   #35
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,327 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I have seen it on my car before using pedal dance, I think it was from EBD interference. I haven't had an issue since using pedal dance now that I have a Trac box the last couple years. I have a picture somewhere. I have also seen it on other cars where they don't disable TC at all and just try sport mode.
Scargod (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 02:45 PM   #36
Baldeagle

Drives: VW GLI 6MT

Start at 2m 30s into the video…..
Baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 05:00 PM   #37
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post

Start at 2m 30s into the video…..
They boiled stock fluid? No surprise there.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 05:13 PM   #38
Scargod
Track Day Junkie

I think I know what you are implying, but it's irrelevant. The stock brake pads were never meant for the track. Other reports have said the same, but again, you're an idiot, and should not be making videos, if you expect the stock pads to hold up to track use. At least Car and Driver included the caveat/disclaimer that they were testing the cars "stock", as delivered to them and to us.
I'll add that, IMHO, in the best of worlds (sans cooling mods) the stock brakes are not up to the task of being driven by a professional, winning, Miata driver like Elivan Goulart (SCDA) or a top SCCA racer... on a badass track like VIR or WGI.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scargod For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (02-14-2022), soundman98 (02-14-2022), timurrrr (02-16-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 05:27 PM   #39
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,327 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargod View Post
I think I know what you are implying, but it's irrelevant. The stock brake pads were never meant for the track. Other reports have said the same, but again, you're an idiot, and should not be making videos, if you expect the stock pads to hold up to track use. At least Car and Driver included the caveat/disclaimer that they were testing the cars "stock", as delivered to them and to us.
I'll add that, IMHO, in the best of worlds (sans cooling mods) the stock brakes are not up to the task of being driven by a professional, winning, Miata driver like Elivan Goulart (SCDA) or a top SCCA racer... on a badass track like VIR or WGI.
At least swapping the factory fluid for some DOT4 would have helped a lot.
new2subaru (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 05:36 PM   #40
zeroomega

Drives: Supra MKV, FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
What is the brake bias of the wilwood kit for the 86 twins?

Also one thing I hate about wilwood brakes is that they use SAE bolts and nuts while the 86 platform is entirely using metric system. The bleeder valve on Wilwood kit is 3/16 inch and there is just no equivalent metric wrench matches that. We have to buy another set of tools just because of that.
zeroomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 05:49 PM   #41
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroomega View Post
What is the brake bias of the wilwood kit for the 86 twins?
Wilwood is good about keeping the bias pretty good to stock. I've had 2 and 4 wheel Wilwood kits on HPDE cars before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroomega View Post
Also one thing I hate about wilwood brakes is that they use SAE bolts and nuts while the 86 platform is entirely using metric system. The bleeder valve on Wilwood kit is 3/16 inch and there is just no equivalent metric wrench matches that. We have to buy another set of tools just because of that.
I've always had SAE/Metric tools, so that doesn't bug me. One of those $250 dollar all-in-one type Sears/Kobalt kits + a Tq wrench was all I needed to swap an S52 in to my E30 13 years ago.

As for the flare wrenchs, you can buy a 3-4 pack that is mixed metric/standard for like $25 at any parts/hardware store.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-SA...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
Scargod (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 05:52 PM   #42
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargod View Post
Who are you yelling at? The guy who made the video, the guy who posted the video or me? lol

The video was pointless IMO. Nobody expects stock fluid/pads to hold up on track.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big brake kit, brz, gonna happen soon, my big break, wilwood