follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 02-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #29
mhughett

Drives: 2015 Crystal White BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantobe View Post
In the land of socal there isn't a ton of flat ground.

Definitely going to invest in one of these. My only concern would be how much residual fluid/particles it leaves behind.

I've been using these types of suction devices for about 10 years on BMW's. The first time I used it, when I was done, I opened the drain plug to see what else was in there. Only a couple drops came out. If the oil was warm, my pneumatic MityVac sucked out 7 quarts in 3-4 minutes. Takes longer if the oil is cold. If you are diligent about changing your oil frequently (every 6 months or so), I wouldn't worry about sludge or other contaminants building inside the oil pan. In fact, I just found out that my wife's Audi Q5 TDI does not even have a drain plug in the oil pan. It was designed from the factory to change the oil with a suction device. Interesting.
mhughett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #30
afoust50

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
I used this oil extractor on my last oil change. Has an 8 qt capacity. Quick and easy to use. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop
I use this one as well, so far it works beautifully.
afoust50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:28 AM   #31
viscositosis.rex

Drives: Currently 2018 Taco
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I really like to roll around in the gutter, in my pajamas, while changing my motor oil. Do it with style.
viscositosis.rex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to viscositosis.rex For This Useful Post:
8R6 (03-17-2016), fatalelement (03-05-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 03:48 PM   #32
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm gonna look into a suction change next time. My first at a random place was north of a hundy. Seems I can cover the device, filter and jugs of oil for same amount
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:30 AM   #33
Kibbles

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Garage
We've got these at work, only it uses compressed air to really suck up the fluid. Works absolutely amazing. Would recommend.
Kibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:31 AM   #34
choiboie

Drives: 2013 Fr-S UltraMarine
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
i did my oil change tonight using a vac and tube through dipstick. i measured the length of the dipstick and marked my tube. made sure i didn't go too far past the marked line. now few mins go by and already i start hearing hissing noises. i pushed the tube in a lil further and oil suddenly starts pulling through the tube. I ended up inserted the tube at least another 10 inches possibly till there was no more oil. if i push another few inches it wont go any further.

so im just curious ( hoping someone else ran into this problem )
is it normal to insert the tube pass the length of the actual dipstick

also i couldn't get my oil filter off wit my hands. This i realize after no oil in the engine. I just ended up pouring the new oil in. topping off and drove home. going to pick up a filter wrench tomorrow at autozone. I hope i'm ok lol
choiboie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #35
mhughett

Drives: 2015 Crystal White BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by choiboie View Post
i did my oil change tonight using a vac and tube through dipstick. i measured the length of the dipstick and marked my tube. made sure i didn't go too far past the marked line. now few mins go by and already i start hearing hissing noises. i pushed the tube in a lil further and oil suddenly starts pulling through the tube. I ended up inserted the tube at least another 10 inches possibly till there was no more oil. if i push another few inches it wont go any further.

so im just curious ( hoping someone else ran into this problem )
is it normal to insert the tube pass the length of the actual dipstick

also i couldn't get my oil filter off wit my hands. This i realize after no oil in the engine. I just ended up pouring the new oil in. topping off and drove home. going to pick up a filter wrench tomorrow at autozone. I hope i'm ok lol

If you think about it, the dipstick is only measuring the TOP level of the oil or an inch or so below that level. But to remove all of the oil, you are trying to get to the bottom of the oil pan--somewhere the dipstick will never see. So of course you will put the tube down further than the dipstick. Make sense?
mhughett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhughett For This Useful Post:
choiboie (03-08-2016), JohnJuan (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 08:50 AM   #36
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Sure sounds convenient, but I thought that the dirtiest stuff naturally collected at the lowest spot, i.e., the drain plug. Even if the suction device DID get out as much of the oil as draining from the plug did (I still am skeptical, but I'll take everyone's word for it), wouldn't it be better to drain from the plug and let that stuff collected at the plug drain first, rather than have it swirl around and maybe get sucked up by the siphon tube (or not)?

I think the biggest win for the suction oil change devices is that it makes the process a bit easier and more convenient, so folks do their oil changes more frequently and on schedule. That is definitely a big win. On the other hand, if you'd do the oil change no matter what, my gut tells me you'll get a bit more dirt out by draining at the plug.

As always, I'm more than ready to be told I'm wrong.. I'm all eyes.

Best,

Barry
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:57 AM   #37
JohnJuan

Drives: 2013 FR-S, Hot Lava; 2012 Z1000 CBO
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Sure sounds convenient, but I thought that the dirtiest stuff naturally collected at the lowest spot, i.e., the drain plug. Even if the suction device DID get out as much of the oil as draining from the plug did (I still am skeptical, but I'll take everyone's word for it), wouldn't it be better to drain from the plug and let that stuff collected at the plug drain first, rather than have it swirl around and maybe get sucked up by the siphon tube (or not)?

I think the biggest win for the suction oil change devices is that it makes the process a bit easier and more convenient, so folks do their oil changes more frequently and on schedule. That is definitely a big win. On the other hand, if you'd do the oil change no matter what, my gut tells me you'll get a bit more dirt out by draining at the plug.

As always, I'm more than ready to be told I'm wrong.. I'm all eyes.

Best,

Barry
I've done two changes on my FR-S with the vacuum, and probably four on my girlfriend's corolla. Should I take a video and drain through the regular plug?
Old 03-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #38
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJuan View Post
I've done two changes on my FR-S with the vacuum, and probably four on my girlfriend's corolla. Should I take a video and drain through the regular plug?
Don't go to the trouble on my account. A video wouldn't really show much conclusively. To be honest, it'd be tough to prove either side; the amount of oil that may or may not be left behind would be difficult to measure and compare unless you let the car sit and drip until not a single drop remains which would take forever. I can't think of a way to quantifiably measure which method removed more dirt, either, becuase you'd have to do two separate oil changes, and already that enters more variables because..well.. it's two different oil changes. Even you could figure out a way to normalize the test, you'd need some extremely sensitive way of measuring the different specific gravities of the two oil samples to show any difference.

SO, we're probably stuck with theory and conjecture on both sides. The big win for the suction device is that it makes it easy to do oil changes, so folks won't let'em slide if they dread doing them. That's bigger than any other difference. I don't mind changing my oil by crawling under the car; it let's me inspect the underside anyway, check for leaks, etc., so I'll keep doing it that way.

Thanks for the offer.. appreciated.

Barry
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MuseChaser For This Useful Post:
JohnJuan (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 01:05 PM   #39
choiboie

Drives: 2013 Fr-S UltraMarine
Garage
Doing the topside last night was my first time doing my own oil change it was very easy to do. I put in 5.5 of oil on my last oil change. I poured in 5.5 last night and this morning oil level is where I want it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
choiboie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #40
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
@choiboie you'll be fine. Just let your car sit for a while after you park before swapping filters (no danger, but it allows more oil to drain from it=less mess).

Also, when re-installing the new filter, hand tight only. So many people/oil places/dealerships put those things on waaaay too tight.
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
choiboie (03-08-2016)

Tags
diy, oil