follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
HawaiianMike

Drives: 2015 Brz Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Modified Works Turbo Kit? JDL>?

I was wondering if anyone has tried to modify a works turbo kit:
http://store.worksmotorsports.com/WO...p/142.212c.htm

Modifying it in a way that would allow you to run an externally WG'd gtx series turbo.

It might not be worth it but I am in the process of trying to get a turbo kit that would allow me to run a high flow cat, and have a recirculated WG.
I have looked into a JDL kit with a recirc WG and trying to fit a cat in there but havent really gotten any specific answer

It seems like these two things could be done easily with the works turbo kit, and I know that the carb legality to it would be ify, but i'm fine with that.
I just don't want to buy something like a JDL turbo kit with no cat and be in a situation where it is blatantly illegal and have to revert the car to stock just to clear up some things.

I may just end up going with a supercharger kit, and save myself the trouble.

Let me know what you guys think, I'm always up for some crazy ideas!
HawaiianMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:44 PM   #2
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I've seen people pass emissions in NY, you should be able to get the JDL kit and just run it with a catted/resonated front pipe.

If emissions is really that bad there, just get a supercharger. there's Edelbrock and Jackson both have CARB tunes ready to go, and will give you the power you need.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:15 PM   #3
TachyonBomb

Drives: 06 Evo GSR SE, 17 Series Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You are the reason my last 2 days have been consumed research into modifying this kit!! damn your front mount intercooler!! lol

But ya back on topic. The only turbos that will bolt onto this kit are those with the t25 hotside. That hotside only comes in the following GTXturbos of both gen 1 and gen 2 families:
GT25r
GTX2860r
GTX2863r
GTX2867r
GTX2871r
GTX2967r
GTX2971r (84 and 90 trim)
GTX2976r
GTX3067r
GTX3071r
GTX3076r
GTX3576r
GTX3582r

If all my trolling research was correct I believe you are the only works kit with the GTX2976r that has the 2-bolt inlet/3-bolt outlet sr20 style cold side with the a t25 5-bolt internal wastegate hotside.. idk your A/R size, so if you want to share it I would love to know.

There is another guy on these forums that got tuned by moto-mike and he is running the GTX2976r but he has a different non-sr20 cold side with a larger inlet and outlet. His hotside is the t25 5-bolt internal wastegate option (idk his A/R size either).

If you want to go bigger the GTX3067r all the way to GTX3582r come with T25 5-bolt hotsides but those hotsides only come with the external wastegate option. All of them only come with the larger coldside but that does not matter in your case because you are just running a filter off of the turbo inlet. So if you want to run the works kit intake piping you'll have to get a silicone adapter that steps down in diameter.

So to answer your question...yes you can get a larger GTX turbo and if you do go larger by default it wall have to be externally wastegated to fit with the T25 5-bolt connection of the works kit.

I also found some options for bigger (inside engine) water to air and air to air intercooler options but you already got the front mount lol.
TachyonBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:53 AM   #4
Fred E

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TachyonBomb View Post
There is another guy on these forums that got tuned by moto-mike and he is running the GTX2976r but he has a different non-sr20 cold side with a larger inlet and outlet. His hotside is the t25 5-bolt internal wastegate option (idk his A/R size either).
That's me! Running a GTX2971R actually with a 4" inlet. We were originally using a t25 turbine housing with it, but that has since been replaced with a vband housing, custom uppipe/downpipe, and external wastegate and dump. We're recirculating the dump and dropping in a built engine soon. Next step is an upgraded intercooler, but I'm going to be sticking with water-to-air.
Fred E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #5
TachyonBomb

Drives: 06 Evo GSR SE, 17 Series Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred E View Post
That's me! Running a GTX2971R actually with a 4" inlet. We were originally using a t25 turbine housing with it, but that has since been replaced with a vband housing, custom uppipe/downpipe, and external wastegate and dump. We're recirculating the dump and dropping in a built engine soon. Next step is an upgraded intercooler, but I'm going to be sticking with water-to-air.
Nice man!! How did you like the GTX2971r?

what psi were you at?
What RPM did it reach full spool?
How much hp/tq where you making?
What fuel were you using?
What is your reason for going bigger?

On my evo I have a stock frame turbo with a 30r wheel shoved in it. I make over 500hp on e85 with stupid quick spool and a stock looking engine bay and exhaust. I pretty much wanted to have a similar set up with on my brz but with about 400hp. Somedays my evos acceleration scares the hell out me so for a rear wheel drive application with less traction I wanted to tone it down a little lol.

At the moment I'm stuck with what turbo size to choose.
GTX2967r
GTX2971r
GTX2976r

It's hard as hell to find any useful info on any of these turbos. A few audi, GTR (twin turbo set up) and VW gti examples come up but they all have different engine sizes so their info is pointless. MotoEast has a video on youtube with a miata running a GTX297xr and they seem to be the main shop online that includes these turbos in any onling conversations about the GTX turbo line.

As for an upgraded water to air intercooler what size and configuration where you going with?

I was looking into these sizes (same shape/configuration as works):
10x4.5x4.5
10.5x9x4.5
It looks as though the alternator bracket will work on them, The turbo should hook up the same. The pipe at the throttle body should be around the same angle and all that is needed is a longer coupler from the throttle body pipe that still keeps a similar 90 degree bend.

As for air to air intercoolers I looks like if you rotate the throttle body pipe a little you can make use of an STI style intercooler. A custome pipe from the turbo to the intercooler would have to be made and some brackets for the intercooler but it seems possible.

I plan on running the Seibon FA style hood (the one with a wrx/sti style scoop in the middle and vents on the sides) which is why I'm trying to keep the IC inside the engine. Plus I won't have room in the front bumper because of the water radiator and oil cooler.
TachyonBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #6
JDLAutoDesign

Drives: 13 FRS
Thanked 1,437 Times in 652 Posts
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
We've down catted downpipes for turbo kits before upon request. A cat before the turbo is a horrible idea and just asking for trouble.
JDLAutoDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
HawaiianMike

Drives: 2015 Brz Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLAutoDesign View Post
We've down catted downpipes for turbo kits before upon request. A cat before the turbo is a horrible idea and just asking for trouble.
I've been looking at your kits and love what I see. At first I was looking at your twin scroll kits because of the gtx series turbos. But also the uel kit.

If I can get a catted recirculated waste gated kit, with a gtx286-r. Would the twin scroll or the uel kit be "better". What are the tradeoffs. And can this even be bought haha.

Thanks so much for the input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
HawaiianMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #8
JDLAutoDesign

Drives: 13 FRS
Thanked 1,437 Times in 652 Posts
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianMike View Post
I've been looking at your kits and love what I see. At first I was looking at your twin scroll kits because of the gtx series turbos. But also the uel kit.

If I can get a catted recirculated waste gated kit, with a gtx286-r. Would the twin scroll or the uel kit be "better". What are the tradeoffs. And can this even be bought haha.

Thanks so much for the input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Honestly the twin scroll is not needed for smaller turbos like the gt(x)28 series. They spool very quick on these motors. In fact we just put one the guys here at the shops car on the dyno yesterday for the hell of it...Stock motor, UEL v2 kit with old school GT2860rs (Disco Potato)...Broke 400whp @12 psi on E85...300 ft lb's by 3500 rpm.

We can definitely do a Catted and recirculated downpipe, however the cat's we use for this aren't cheap. They are the Gesi HO- Series and are the only thing we've found that will last being placed right after the turbo.

Feel free to PM us for more info.

Thanks!
JDLAutoDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:56 AM   #9
extreme-86

Drives: 86, Nissan 200SX, Honda Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLAutoDesign View Post
Honestly the twin scroll is not needed for smaller turbos like the gt(x)28 series. They spool very quick on these motors. In fact we just put one the guys here at the shops car on the dyno yesterday for the hell of it...Stock motor, UEL v2 kit with old school GT2860rs (Disco Potato)...Broke 400whp @12 psi on E85...300 ft lb's by 3500 rpm.

We can definitely do a Catted and recirculated downpipe, however the cat's we use for this aren't cheap. They are the Gesi HO- Series and are the only thing we've found that will last being placed right after the turbo.

Feel free to PM us for more info.

Thanks!
Big fan of your work and support for the platform as well as the killer Evo parts. Just a question, are you sure this turbo wasn't a GTX2860 or GT2871R because the old school GT2860RS shouldn't be able to support more than 350whp as its only a 35 lb/min turbo.

The power curve looks awesome, the peak number just seems a bit inflated for a true GT2860RS
extreme-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extreme-86 For This Useful Post:
Lee@JDLAutoDesign (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 09:29 AM   #10
Lee@JDLAutoDesign

Drives: Corrado
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The SAE correction at summer time Phoenix temperatures is probably inflating the peak numbers a bit, but yes, definitely an old school gt28rs and definitely impressive
Lee@JDLAutoDesign is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, catalytic converter, jdl, turbo, works