follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-16-2022, 01:53 PM   #15
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,948 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
The pivot is tight to move but the rattle in the video is from that pivot which I found odd.

Exactly what I was thinking along with replacing the sintered bushing in the IRP with plastic bushing.
I question if replacing a metal bushing with plastic will have durability issues

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 02:02 PM   #16
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,337 Times in 7,388 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
I question if replacing a metal bushing with plastic will have durability issues

It for sure won't be as durable, I don't think it will be too bad though. I have some fiberglass reinforced nylon options I am looking at from some of the motion control companies I deal with. I am willing to give it a go for science.
norcalpb (03-16-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 07:28 AM   #17
grumpysnapper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I agree with NOMSG. The shaft passing through the seal should not really be able to "rattle" due to the seal itself. Also, that seal can't be replaced with a bushing or it will leak. I think your next test should be to dampen the joints of the floor shift shaft. Obtain or make a soft or flexible washer that can be compressed to add to the pins connecting the shaft. Perhaps some foam or neoprene can be cut into a washer.

If it is the stub shaft then we could look at making a secondary "seal" that would hold the end of the shaft
Yeah, I dont think the internal shaft rattles against the casing as such, but vibrates through the oil seal, then through the first shaft joint. In other words the internal shaft is the actual cause of the vibration, and the sum of the other attached parts are designed to mitigate the vibration on a standard system.

When any single part of that system is compromised from standard, the whole shift system vibrates/rattles.

The engineers even added a "shift lever damper" into the first connecting joint structure.

That said, my first joint doesnt have the play in it that NoHaveMSG has, on mine (and others I've played with) the shaft rod end moves within the seal. But it is possible that most of the boxes I've looked at are fairly low km units (mine included).

I've tried a couple of versions of the soft washer idea, and it doesnt really work too well. I've also tried the opposite idea of (very) hard packing the washers...and that didnt work either.

I also tend to agree that drilling out the entire bush on the first link (below the gear lever), and replacing it with a flexible liner of some sort might be the best option....but very difficult.

I've even considered attaching small containers 3/4 full tungsten (granules) to the main shift control shaft to see if that might dampen the vibration....

Last edited by grumpysnapper; 03-17-2022 at 07:46 AM.
grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:00 AM   #18
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,948 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpysnapper View Post
Yeah, I dont think the internal shaft rattles against the casing as such, but vibrates through the oil seal, then through the first shaft joint. In other words the internal shaft is the actual cause of the vibration, and the sum of the other attached parts are designed to mitigate the vibration on a standard system.

When any single part of that system is compromised from standard, the whole shift system vibrates/rattles.

The engineers even added a "shift lever damper" into the first connecting joint structure.

That said, my first joint doesnt have the play in it that NoHaveMSG has, on mine (and others I've played with) the shaft rod end moves within the seal. But it is possible that most of the boxes I've looked at are fairly low km units (mine included).

I've tried a couple of versions of the soft washer idea, and it doesnt really work too well. I've also tried the opposite idea of (very) hard packing the washers...and that didnt work either.

I also tend to agree that drilling out the entire bush on the first link (below the gear lever), and replacing it with a flexible liner of some sort might be the best option....but very difficult.

I've even considered attaching small containers 3/4 full tungsten (granules) to the main shift control shaft to see if that might dampen the vibration....
I'm gonna suggest you pull your console out and drive the car with the shifter exposed. That way you can reach through the shifter hole to feel things. Assuming you can get your hands in there.

I'm not really convinced you can replace the bushing with something soft enough to be quiet but still function properly. If you could machine an Oring groove in the bushing, that would be ideal. The Oring would prevent rattle while yielding to shifter actuation. I have my doubts that will be possible though. Have you tried wrapping the shift arm joints in something elastic that will allow them to finding, but hold them right enough to not rattle?

Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
grumpysnapper (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 09:03 AM   #19
grumpysnapper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm gonna suggest you pull your console out and drive the car with the shifter exposed. That way you can reach through the shifter hole to feel things. Assuming you can get your hands in there.

I'm not really convinced you can replace the bushing with something soft enough to be quiet but still function properly. If you could machine an Oring groove in the bushing, that would be ideal. The Oring would prevent rattle while yielding to shifter actuation. I have my doubts that will be possible though. Have you tried wrapping the shift arm joints in something elastic that will allow them to finding, but hold them right enough to not rattle?
I really like the flexible wrapping around the joints idea. I havent tried that yet.
Some sort of long silicone rubber type strip, wound around the joint(s), could potentially work quite well!
grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 08:12 PM   #20
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
I put a plastic washer on the shifter which I believe got rid of my rattle but it would be nice to have someone else try this and report back:

I tried something similar, I bought some PTFE sheet and cut out washers to get the correct thickness. It did not work for my IRP shifter.

I'm wondering if the shifter itself isn't the issue, but rather acts as a tuning fork for whatever resonance is already present.