follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #15
sprintertrueno86

Drives: 2018 BMW M2
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The ticking is not from the gauge cluster. I believe mine is coming from the front speaker grill on the dashboard.

I do have this rattle that came from the center clip that holds the gauge window to the gauge cluster. I drove around with the gauge cluster hood off for a few days and holding the clip down stopped the rattle. I 3m taped all the clips down and taped the seams for a tighter fit. Also foam taped that area while I was at it.

Last edited by sprintertrueno86; 08-10-2014 at 08:36 PM.
sprintertrueno86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprintertrueno86 For This Useful Post:
jeepmor (11-12-2015)
Old 09-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #16
omega_factor

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Black Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
OK it has been fixed!

I had many rattles, initially the parcel shelf, which was fixed, and re-fixed 2 more times after 6 months each time.

Then the dash which had a strange rattle near the window (probably in the above pic), this was fixed with insulation, then again with more insulation and was gone.

But the car returned with more noise, a metallic type sound in the steering column. I was so angry, I escalated the issue to customer service.

The dealer removed my entire dash again, and I even test drove it without the dash, I have pics and videos LOL! A Toyota Engineer even visited and said it was all by design, no issues!

I was pissed! We could not pinpoint the issue, but it returned with a little less of the metallic rattle.

Today I had the dealer replace a panel near my cluster that was scratched. As I was driving out, I decided to adjust the steering wheel a little higher. I notice that it made a slight difference, but didn't completely fix the problem.

Then, today, as I was adjusting up and down, I think I accidentally accelerated and the break through. The bloody steering wheel also comes out, not just up and down. I am sure I knew this, but seem to have forgotten.

SOLUTION:

Anyhow, I kept adjusting the setting, and found a spot where the steering wheel wasn't touching anything, in terms of both up and down and also out towards me.

Believe it or not, the problem is gone, no more metallic rattle!

F#@cking amazing, I love my 86 again! I was so upset with this rattle, but now, finally after months, it's fixed. A combo or rattles and human error! All solved!

I hope this helps others out there! Cheers!
omega_factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #17
Wilcats

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
You mean the rattling / clunking noise (that seem to be coming from the steering column when going over corrugated roads) is gone just by adjusting the steering wheel position??

Like what setting? how many % towards you / up / down?
Old 12-22-2014, 06:30 PM   #18
Sleeper86

Drives: FT86 GTS white AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
tried adjusting the steering wheels and the noise still come up.
Sleeper86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:09 PM   #19
Sookainian

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcats View Post
You mean the rattling / clunking noise (that seem to be coming from the steering column when going over corrugated roads) is gone just by adjusting the steering wheel position??

Like what setting? how many % towards you / up / down?
Any fix for this ? I'm having the same issue. I notice anything below half the adjustment point will have this sound.
Sookainian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:52 AM   #20
86Tony

Drives: 2015 AOZORA EDITION
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yea try adjusting your steering wheel it stopped. For me after I did that
86Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:10 AM   #21
Sookainian

Drives: Toyota GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Tony View Post
Yea try adjusting your steering wheel it stopped. For me after I did that
But do you know the cause ?

Because if I adjust the steering wheel till it stop, the steering position is too high for me

I would like to solve it instead
Sookainian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:18 AM   #22
Ingen

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S 6MT
I have this noise also, and have heard that it may be caused by a loose skid plate. When the filter / oil I ordered get here I intend to get under the car and take a look. You might check that before you try to rip your dash out...

Car Received: 10/18. Break in ended: 10/28

Goal: Openflash UEL headers, Stage II 93 oct, TRD intake, arm rest :P
Ingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:24 PM   #23
86Tony

Drives: 2015 AOZORA EDITION
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sookainian View Post
But do you know the cause ?

Because if I adjust the steering wheel till it stop, the steering position is too high for me

I would like to solve it instead
Nope no clue, did you try pushing the wheel forward towards you? That also helped
86Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #24
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintertrueno86 View Post
The ticking is not from the gauge cluster. I believe mine is coming from the front speaker grill on the dashboard.

I do have this rattle that came from the center clip that holds the gauge window to the gauge cluster. I drove around with the gauge cluster hood off for a few days and holding the clip down stopped the rattle. I 3m taped all the clips down and taped the seams for a tighter fit. Also foam taped that area while I was at it.
Sorry if this is a thread revival, but I had this same rattle from cluster hood. I placed foam tape (3/8w x 3/16 thick at front and sides of contact edges of the hood. 3,6,9 o'clock. I then wrapped an inch or so around a putty knife edge, compressed it, then pushed it into the corners of the cluster frame to dash surface to create a wedge. There was obvious noise coming from here when evaluating where to put the foam.

Wife test drove, seems to be fixed. Just did it, will chime in if a quick redo is required.

Last edited by jeepmor; 11-12-2015 at 08:38 PM.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:38 AM   #25
Futaba

Drives: GT86
Garage
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I recently developed this issue in the steering column/cluster area, putting forward pressure or pulling on the steering wheel while driving seemed to stop it, at least while the pressure/pulling was applied, so today I pulled out the bottom plastics and had a look underneath on my back.

I found that if you wobble the steering shaft theres a click that sounds identical to the one happening while driving, after probing around for a bit i narrowed it down to a particular part. (Ignore the cable ties, those were applied while diagnosing the clicking issue as I wanted to rule out movement in the cables).

This plate circled in orange, if you apply really light pressure with your finger you get the click, if you apply a little force to it and try wobbling the steering shaft again the click doesnt happen, I figure there is metal on metal rub going on in this area, would also account for the click being intermittent depending on if it was a hot or cold day too.

So i disconnected the black connector (in the orange socket, right in the way), backed off the silver screws a few turns, took a syringe and some copper grease and applied a little to everywhere the highlighted plate and bolted on plate meet, then torqued it back till the blue markings matched up, put everything together and the noise is now completely gone even on the bumpiest of ground.

tl;dr :
Before you go ripping the car apart, do this quick and easy check.
Scoot the driver seat back, reach under the footwell, grab the steering shaft and give it a wobble, if you hear clicking while wobbling it, it's coming from the above location.
Futaba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Futaba For This Useful Post:
Mandy (03-29-2021), Mykii (07-15-2021)