follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-17-2020, 09:29 AM   #15
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Since I had a hard time getting a MT one in Feb I am afraid I don't hold out much hope for him in July. The funny (from my perspective) thing is that although I don't know exactly where he lives but mine came from a dealership that was probably within an hour or so away from him but took three days to travel to me. It is like some guy in California getting the last one available in Florida.

Agree about the wrap. I have seen some beautiful wraps on cars and it all goes to hell as soon as they open a door. The tS is a pretty fine looking car on it's own anyway.
Yeah it’ll be tough for sure. My friend in CA (apples oranges I know) did just snag one a couple weeks ago though. Manual Hakone. Actually shipping it to Japan since he lives there right now
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
Ghost of Akina (07-17-2020), Tcoat (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 09:38 AM   #16
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Agree about the wrap. I have seen some beautiful wraps on cars and it all goes to hell as soon as they open a door. The tS is a pretty fine looking car on it's own anyway.
Agree too about the wrap. Unless the car was originally black, pop the bonnet (hood ) for example and it’s black obviously and doesn’t look as bad. But white and green not so good...
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dirty Harry For This Useful Post:
Ghost of Akina (07-17-2020), SC10N (07-27-2020), Tcoat (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #17
Ghost of Akina

Drives: DE5 Integra Type S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
At this point it sounds like you should just follow your emotions. So get the car that pumps you up.

With that said, did you sit inside of the tS? Have you test driven it?

Edit: How can a dealership assure they can get you one if there’s none in the country? What are they going to do...trade with a U.S. dealer? I don’t even think that’s possible?
I haven't checked it out yet, my old BRZ did have the PP so I imagine it drives similarly.

Not sure they were adamant they could do, I didn't question all that much because I have dealt with them for years and they have always been good to me...maybe I need to take a drive down to the Subie dealer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #18
Ghost of Akina

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
I think I would get the TS tomorrow. If there is one thing COViD has taught us it is that life is too short! Not gunna lie, the Hakone is a great colour, but in the end, it’s just a colour! :-]
Yeah that's true

Old 07-17-2020, 11:30 AM   #19
Ghost of Akina

Garage
Quote:
Soooo...

When I ordered mine back in early February they we not at all optimistic they could even order more from the factory then. There were only 50 slotted for Canada and 30 were accounted for at that point. They said they could order one from the factory but odds were the other 20 were already in transit and spoken for. The next day they called me and said there were 5 ATs and 1 MT available on lots in the whole country but they had managed to swing a deal with the dealer in Calgary to get the MT shipped here. I said "IT IS MINE"! This was all before Covid messed up the world. Mine was the last car in the city driven off the lot by a customer before the province went into total shutdown on March 27.

Last week I had my first service done and was chatting with a different salesman at a different dealer (I get the car serviced at a dealer near work most times) and he said that a guy saw mine when I brought it in and wanted to buy one but there were zero in the system at any point in the pipeline or on a lot. We know that production ended this month so the probability of more showing up is remote.

You could ask one more time and see if they will give you a VON. If they won't or can't then forget it and get the Ts. That was my plan if I could not get one.

Oh and sorry again for buying your local one.

No, no it is not possible.
Yes , your right that's what I remember them saying now that they could try and get one direct from the factory. But that was back in March and with production ended they probably are just trying to keep me on the hook ... I don't think I'm going to get one.

Damn Covid!!!!
And you Tcoat thanks for taking my local one you jerk, lol just kidding your awesome. I will have admire that colour from a far.

The Ts will put a smile on my face regardless.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:33 AM   #20
Ghost of Akina

Garage
Quote:
Patience is a virtue under most conditions but since these are no longer in production then it may be more of a case of "if you snooze you lose".

It can be hard for guys in places like California to realize just how rare these cars are in Canada. The only places there are more than a handful are the very large cites (my city is 500,000 so not exactly tiny) so I can go weeks or even months without seeing another one on the road.
We get under 10% of the numbers sold in the US. Last year they sold 3400 86s in the USA. Canada had 240 total. So far this year (number to May) there have been 1350 sold in the US and only 81 in Canada. Many of the dealers don't even have them on the lot and you have to order what you want like some sort of expensive exotic.
It is probably safe to say that there are two or three times the total Canadian sales just in your area. It was funny when I attended the Norcal summer kick off meet in 2018 that the number of cars in that one place was well over the whole country wide Canadian sales for 2019!
Yup I will go weeks with out seeing one. Oddly enough I see more Tesla's and CTR's, Golf Rs, then the twins in my city.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:35 AM   #21
Ghost of Akina

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I get the want for a special edition, I really do. There were such limited numbers available, you may just end up needing to find one used unfortunately. The dealership will make any promise they can to get your dollar. I'm sure they have tried. They probably tried calling Toyota and saying " yo, can you make 1 more of those green ones? I have a customer that wants one" and Toyota has probably said "DAME DAME"
She did try to convince to buy the supra they have lol.

Old 07-17-2020, 12:13 PM   #22
N_Raged

Drives: 2019 BRZ Sport-Tech RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The only negative thing against the tS to me is the larger and potentially heavier 18" wheels. Also tires are more expensive because of that. Of course you can switch to 17" rims later if you choose. Just that one thing to keep in mind.

Otherwise the rare suspension and chassis bits on the tS make it more special and handle better. The Subaru dealer parts departments won't even sell me the Flexible V-bars by themselves because corporate decided it is not for individual sale. The Draw Stiffeners and STi pink springs are available though - however that version of the draw stiffener only bolts up to the tS' unique subframe which is different from any other twin, so you would have to replace the subframe just to get that working.
N_Raged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N_Raged For This Useful Post:
JesseG (07-18-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 12:32 PM   #23
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Raged View Post
The only negative thing against the tS to me is the larger and potentially heavier 18" wheels. Also tires are more expensive because of that. Of course you can switch to 17" rims later if you choose. Just that one thing to keep in mind.

Otherwise the rare suspension and chassis bits on the tS make it more special and handle better. The Subaru dealer parts departments won't even sell me the Flexible V-bars by themselves because corporate decided it is not for individual sale. The Draw Stiffeners and STi pink springs are available though - however that version of the draw stiffener only bolts up to the tS' unique subframe which is different from any other twin, so you would have to replace the subframe just to get that working.
Anybody looking at a Hakone isn't likely to be worried about slightly heavier wheels. For street driving they really make no difference at all. If driving on a track the tS is the better choice in stock form anyway.
Not sure if you can even put a 17" on with the Brembos.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:33 PM   #24
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Akina View Post
Yes , your right that's what I remember them saying now that they could try and get one direct from the factory. But that was back in March and with production ended they probably are just trying to keep me on the hook ... I don't think I'm going to get one.

Damn Covid!!!!
And you Tcoat thanks for taking my local one you jerk, lol just kidding your awesome. I will have admire that colour from a far.

The Ts will put a smile on my face regardless.

The funny part is that the only reason the Calgary dealer gave it up was that it had sat there since October without selling.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #25
Ghost of Akina

Garage
Quote:
The funny part is that the only reason the Calgary dealer gave it up was that it had sat there since October without selling.
It's all about timing lol

Old 07-17-2020, 01:02 PM   #26
vicious_cb

Drives: 2020 86 Hakone
Id hold out for the Hakone if you can. For some reason the color scheme makes people think is a far more expensive car than it is.
vicious_cb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vicious_cb For This Useful Post:
Ghost of Akina (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 01:11 PM   #27
Ghost of Akina

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
Id hold out for the Hakone if you can. For some reason the color scheme makes people think is a far more expensive car than it is.
Well I left a message with my rep at Toyota this morning. So we will wait and see what they have to say and go from there.

JesseG (07-18-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 02:17 PM   #28
N_Raged

Drives: 2019 BRZ Sport-Tech RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Anybody looking at a Hakone isn't likely to be worried about slightly heavier wheels. For street driving they really make no difference at all. If driving on a track the tS is the better choice in stock form anyway.
Not sure if you can even put a 17" on with the Brembos.
The Performance Pack trim has 17's that clear Brembos.
N_Raged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N_Raged For This Useful Post:
JesseG (07-18-2020), Tcoat (07-17-2020)