follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
BlackyRose

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
five axis spoiler re-stick help!!

my factory installed five axis is coming up on my drivers side. it has some play when I push it up and down and you can visually see where the 3m tape has become detached. Would it be beneficial to brush some adhesion promoter on the exposed 3m tape and then push down in place and hold? looking for an over the counter solution without going to the dealership, and I dont really want to use super glue.
BlackyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I sure like those FiveAxis spoilers. I BADLY wanted a twin with nothing so I could install one. I wound up with an FR-S that already had an OEM spoiler though and it's since grown on me. But I'm wondering, does the FiveAxis spoiler bolt to the trunk with the OEM bolt pattern? Or is it held on only with adhesive? I was also wondering if anyone has tried 3M spray adhesive, the type where you spray both parts then allow them to become tacky before putting them together. 3M spray adhesive is the best in my experience, we use it for industrial purposes, but I'm not sure if there are long term affects on automotive clear coat. But if it's factory or dealer installed, I'd be tempted to let them deal with it. :-)
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
phanguy

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
fiveaxis actually sells a kit that will allow you to remove and reapply your spoiler. it's like 25 bucks or so. i actually was lucky enough to have the owner of fiveaxis himself do the install for me(early this year) and it's still sticking just fine. great guy and gave me some free stuff too!

@NWFRS the fiveaxis spoiler is only held on with adhesive. you use an adhesion applicator thing on the trunk then slap the spoiler on there. i'm not sure if it would cover the holes you might have now though. when installed correctly it should last pretty much until you pull it off or get in a wreck :P
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
kidgogeta

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
have the same problem as you but on the passenger side, would love to hear any answers.
kidgogeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
fluffy-reindeer-slayer

Drives: fr-s and tc2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
just give five axis a call and have them send you a reinstallation kit for the spoiler, I got one in about a week and did it myself. its simple, the hardest part is getting the dam tape off, I recommend getting a 3m adhesive eraser wheel. you can purchase the wheel at advance auto parts for about 40.00
fluffy-reindeer-slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Drives: FR-S [Raven]
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I noticed mine was lifting up on one end - especially after long drives down the canyons.. seems the cars' twisting makes the ends come up slightly.
I bought one of those home depot crimpers .. I put it on at night and that's all it takes.

someday if this doesn't work I would take it out but probably not necessary.
Attached Images

rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote