follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-01-2022, 07:17 AM   #15
grumpysnapper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twasd View Post
I am interesting to upgrade my front brake to the "Essex - AP Racing Competition Endurance", and I see the disc size is 325x32mm.

Now, from this discussion, I understand I don't need to upgrade the Rear Brake, just replace the pad to the same as the front brake use.

And if I leave the Rear parts as it is, the OEM disc is 290 x 18mm.
I am wondering is there a need to upgrade the rear disc?

Not just for the performance, but also for the looks as well.

Or maybe I just chose the Essex AP Racing Big Brake Kit (SPRINT) - 299x32 mm version. It is 600 USD cheaper

I don't do heavy track. I DD my 86, but spirited driving my car in any chance I get.

Any feedback will be appreciated.
I think the sprint kit is magic with more than enough headroom in braking capacity....and the weight saving is a bonus.

You certainly dont "need" to change the rears... but then most of what we do isnt strictly "needed"...
I changed the rears to the STI 2 pots and put slotted DBA disks on, looks better, easier to change pads, might perhaps be functionally better in some ways in some instances...but makes me feel better.
I haven't been able to detect any negative brake balance issues since doing it 5 years ago...and I suspect given the degree that I've changed the dynamics of the car, whatever the standard brake bias was, I doubt that it would have any meaningful relationship to the way the car reacts now.
grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grumpysnapper For This Useful Post:
JRitt (10-06-2022), soundman98 (10-01-2022), twasd (10-01-2022)