follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 09-01-2022, 01:57 AM   #29
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subito View Post
Dan Edmunds writes for Car and Driver magazine, he knows his stuff.
Problem is, I'm already past that horsepower level and would only be shopping for one to upgrade immediately with a supercharger.

I lean BRZ after that review. But still, I can currently buy a bad mamma jamma track FRS with over 10k in upgrades for 17.5k. I like the new car for performance, but not looks. Wife does not approve of the new looks, cast that bait already, no bites.

I should go test drive them both though to be sure. And plan more upgrades.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 01:35 PM   #30
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmor View Post
Problem is, I'm already past that horsepower level and would only be shopping for one to upgrade immediately with a supercharger.

I lean BRZ after that review. But still, I can currently buy a bad mamma jamma track FRS with over 10k in upgrades for 17.5k. I like the new car for performance, but not looks. Wife does not approve of the new looks, cast that bait already, no bites.

I should go test drive them both though to be sure. And plan more upgrades.
You let your wife determine what car you buy?
Old 09-01-2022, 04:20 PM   #31
foshjowler

Drives: 2022 BRZ; 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
You don't value your significant other's opinions on major purchases?

Autox Videos
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 10:11 PM   #32
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Throttle mapping is different, but as reported and evidenced by dyno's WOT is no different between the two cars.

We have seen from the throttle maps of the OG ones that it follows pretty typical throttle delivery, and perhaps the mapping on the GR86 requests a bit more torque generally at lower throttle pedal angles that before - certainly this would give that impression they are talking about, not unlike a throttle controller might.

Again it just points to a little but of the daily drive differences, with the BRZ trying to be more liveable, and the GR86 wanting to make it feel a bit more aggressive. On the track I do think its a bit of a suprise that they are very similar, and while the slight changes to the front are interesting in themselves I have to admit I think the set-up of having that direct body rear suspension while doing the softer rear bar and how its allowed the BRZ to a bit better on the street but still keep that 'stiffness' as far as the dynamic effects at higher G cornering is something I do wish GR had just done.

The BRZ is not hard to lose the rear with, so I find it hard to understand why they needed to emphasise it so much when clearly the throttle tuning is a really nice point of difference. Its like they specifically chose an inferior suspension just so that we could feel the bumps more, and as its been said elsewhere in the winter it then shows up some of the cheapness in the dampers.

Just my uneducated opinion of course, I get to back to back them in a couple of weeks, so really looking forward to that as I plan to push them.

I'm not sure about the steering, perhaps there is a difference in the pre-facelift to the post-facelift OG models, because my 2012 86 had lighter steering than my 2022 BRZ. When you are on a long sweeping turn going at pace there is certainly a great sense of feel and pressure on holding that line, so along with the improvements with the steering latency (so steering movement to car movement) its been a better experience for mine. I would like to go back and try my old car again, because so many people talking about it means I feel like a bit of an outlier in that opinion and perhaps I'm just getting so old my memory isn't what is used to be.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blighty For This Useful Post:
PBR (09-02-2022), siko232 (10-09-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 01:50 AM   #33
PBR

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited 6 speed manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
Throttle mapping is different, but as reported and evidenced by dyno's WOT is no different between the two cars.

We have seen from the throttle maps of the OG ones that it follows pretty typical throttle delivery, and perhaps the mapping on the GR86 requests a bit more torque generally at lower throttle pedal angles that before - certainly this would give that impression they are talking about, not unlike a throttle controller might.

Again it just points to a little but of the daily drive differences, with the BRZ trying to be more liveable, and the GR86 wanting to make it feel a bit more aggressive. On the track I do think its a bit of a suprise that they are very similar, and while the slight changes to the front are interesting in themselves I have to admit I think the set-up of having that direct body rear suspension while doing the softer rear bar and how its allowed the BRZ to a bit better on the street but still keep that 'stiffness' as far as the dynamic effects at higher G cornering is something I do wish GR had just done.

The BRZ is not hard to lose the rear with, so I find it hard to understand why they needed to emphasise it so much when clearly the throttle tuning is a really nice point of difference. Its like they specifically chose an inferior suspension just so that we could feel the bumps more, and as its been said elsewhere in the winter it then shows up some of the cheapness in the dampers.

Just my uneducated opinion of course, I get to back to back them in a couple of weeks, so really looking forward to that as I plan to push them.

I'm not sure about the steering, perhaps there is a difference in the pre-facelift to the post-facelift OG models, because my 2012 86 had lighter steering than my 2022 BRZ. When you are on a long sweeping turn going at pace there is certainly a great sense of feel and pressure on holding that line, so along with the improvements with the steering latency (so steering movement to car movement) its been a better experience for mine. I would like to go back and try my old car again, because so many people talking about it means I feel like a bit of an outlier in that opinion and perhaps I'm just getting so old my memory isn't what is used to be.
I also find the new steering to have better feel. It doesn't weight up as heavily which is what people are confusing for feel. And I agree about the tension in the steering on a long bend. It's also more precise, consistent from lock to lock and requires less movement off center to change direction. The motor is also smaller so it should be damping out less "feedback." An EPS system acts like a mass damper. I would definitely prefer a more linear throttle map and the rear assembly should provide more lateral rear stiffness if im not mistaken. I modified mine with Bilstein B8/Swift Spec R. Softer spring rates up front and stiffer in rear. -1 camber all around with Cusco rear control arms. Higher quality, inverted montube dampers with high quality linear springs. Less squat, dive and roll with more front end grip and now even more tail happy. Ride quality is still very good. And aluminum knuckles for less unsprung weight. And stiffer bushings. Win/win in my book and why the BRZ was an easy choice for me.
Attached Images

PBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PBR For This Useful Post:
Ash_89 (09-02-2022), Blighty (09-02-2022), DylanJZA (09-02-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 02:32 PM   #34
jeepmor

Quote:
She doesn't think the new ones look as good as the first gens is all.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeepmor For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-08-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 02:30 PM   #35
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
You don't value your significant other's opinions on major purchases?
No we talk about things, but we also have the policy of "If you can afford it, and it's not going to impact paying the mortgage/utilities/food/entertainment/contributions to savings, etc, do what you want with your money.

Quote:
She doesn't think the new ones look as good as the first gens is all.
1. She won't be driving it.
2. She won't be able to see the outside when you're driving her to brunch.
Tokay444 (09-16-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 03:19 PM   #36
Ghost of Akina

Drives: DE5 Integra Type S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
No we talk about things, but we also have the policy of "If you can afford it, and it's not going to impact paying the mortgage/utilities/food/entertainment/contributions to savings, etc, do what you want with your money.
Same as my wife and I.

Mine was actually disappointed when I passed on my 2022 that I had ordered even though she wouldn’t be driving it lol.

I have a 2023 on order now haha.

Last edited by Ghost of Akina; 09-12-2022 at 06:16 PM.
Ghost of Akina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghost of Akina For This Useful Post:
OkieSnuffBox (09-12-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 10:33 PM   #37
jeepmor

It's all good, wife doesn't control any of my decisions, just chimes in. We're married, we talk. I don't want a car payment or big 35k withdrawal of late, market has taken it already. I also do not like the gen 2 body versus the gen 1. Not a hater, just still prefer the original FRS/86 nose is all. The new one is starting to grow on me and I see enough fanfare I want to test drive one to see the differences. It does get plenty of 'they actually listened to customer input' type reviews.

I also appreciate there are significant differences between Toyota/Subaru model lines even though the only differences are minor, like the suspensions.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeepmor For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-16-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 09:55 AM   #38
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
It's all good, wife doesn't control any of my decisions, just chimes in. We're married, we talk. I don't want a car payment or big 35k withdrawal of late, market has taken it already. I also do not like the gen 2 body versus the gen 1. Not a hater, just still prefer the original FRS/86 nose is all. The new one is starting to grow on me and I see enough fanfare I want to test drive one to see the differences. It does get plenty of 'they actually listened to customer input' type reviews.
If you don't like it, don't buy one? I mean I wouldn't spend $30k+ on something I was really excited about it.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:16 PM   #39
greengs

Drives: 2022 BRZ, 2022 Tacoma Pro
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
When it comes to cars I just get what I want. I asked the wife what she wanted and she said a Tacoma Pro so I got a BRZ and got her the truck she always wanted. Difference is she will keep her truck for many years, I will likely get something different in 12-18 months.
greengs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greengs For This Useful Post:
jeepmor (09-16-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 03:05 PM   #40
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengs View Post
When it comes to cars I just get what I want. I asked the wife what she wanted and she said a Tacoma Pro so I got a BRZ and got her the truck she always wanted. Difference is she will keep her truck for many years, I will likely get something different in 12-18 months.
I asked the fiance if she wanted to trade in the '18 Mazda 3 we've been sharing since she just got a killer new job with a monster raise, her response:

"No, I just want to pay this one off and not have a payment."

We both WFH so it's not like either car is going to see very many miles.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:47 AM   #41
jeepmor

Ah snap, is this therapy for car guys now? Actually it is a bit.

My sister and her first husband went through cars faster than I go through underwear. They caused themselves a lot of grief in their 30 somethings stacking debt with a new car every 6 months.

Just talk to your spouse about your plans, it's okay not to be on the same page going forward. Even if they disagree, they know it's coming.

If you are single, just do WTF you want.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:30 AM   #42
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
"...but it has that character where once you hang onto your speed, you may never need to brake." *hits brakes*
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote