follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
pseudo

Drives: 2008 Cayman S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
OFT vs ECUFlash

Let me preface this by saying that I am not asking if OFT is better than ECUFlash or vice versa, I am just trying to figure out what the right choice is for me.

I am a software engineer, so I don't mind a steep learning curve. However, this is my first sports car, so I am new to tuning. My primary goal is to learn as much as I can about tuning my NA BRZ.

As I understand it, both OFT and ECUFlash will use romraider for tuning, but I believe that there are differences between the two. Can you use ECUFlash tunes with OFT and vice versa? Is there a translation step to editing the binary files between the two?

I like the fact that OFT has off the shelf tunes that I can use as a jumping off point. At the same time, there are many books on tuning that I could use to start off with ECUFlash.

Functionality appears to be better in OFT with features like flat-foot shifting and other stuff like that. Honestly, I probably won't use any features like this as my main goal in owning this car is to become a better driver, but I just want to get the whole picture.

I am a hacker by trade, so cracking open the .bin in IDA sounds appealing. I could help out the community by looking for new addresses to edit and stuff like that. For that reason ECUFlash is appealing.

Price is irrelevant, so please don't take that into account.

Overall, OFT seems like the safer/faster choice, but ECUFlash might be more rewarding in the long run.

Based on what I have said above, could you recommend a tuning solution for me?
Thanks!
pseudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Does ECUflash allow logging?

If not, that would tip the scales to OFT.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
From an ease of use point of view, OFT has much fuller support right now. ECUFlash will work, but requires some setup and I've not tried it.

There's nothing special about OFT's OTS ROMs, ECUFlash is able to flash them. Similarly OFT can flash fully custom ROMs. For flashing, ECUFlash does of course require a fully capable laptop, while OFT is just the tablet.

In terms of logging, OFT has great visuals, very useful for on-the-spot diagnostics. Tactrix has no visuals but can log about 10x faster than OFT, so you get much better granularity and the log record's values are grouped tightly together timing-wise for a better "snapshot". Tactrix also uses a microsd and therefor can log for much longer. I use both -- OFT for flashing and first one or two drives so I can monitor it visually, and Tactrix for general logging. I've found Tactrix's logging rate to be very useful for e.g. MAF scaling.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Given that price is not a variable, I think the decision comes down to - do you want to have to rely on a laptop for flashing/datalogging or do you want the self-contained portability of an OFT type of device? Beyond that, OFT is probably the slowest flashing option out there, taking up to 5-7 minutes to write the ROM file to ECU, whereas ECUTek with a capable laptop does it in 90 seconds or so. I presume ECUFlash with the Tactrix would be more inline with the ECUTek flashing speed - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

From a hacker's perspective - either will suffice since you'll be doing your work in Rom Raider anyway.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Personally I think that Tactrix cable would be the way forward for you unless you like the idea of a display in the car to visually display things. I tune on ECUtek and I don't feel the need for the display, it's kind of a nice gimmick in my opinion. If you know what you're doing, the ECUflash & Tactrix combo is the better option IMO.

Just be wary of using OTS tunes due to the ID changes made to allow for flashing newer ROM on older cal ECUs. If you know what you're doing though, it's not an issue.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
diodelphi

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
why you do not use ecutek?
diodelphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #7
pseudo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by diodelphi View Post
why you do not use ecutek?
I don't like the idea of encrypting my ROM to use their software. As I understand it, ECUTek ****s with the ECU's bootloader and makes it so you can't switch to other technologies without first reverting to stock.

This whole process is sketchy in my opinion and I want no part in it.

I also don't like the whole paradigm of having tuners tune your car without you being allowed to edit their tune. I understand that they changed some of this recently, but this always rubbed me the wrong way and I just don't think I want their software on a technological or corporate level.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pseudo For This Useful Post:
BurnetRhoades (05-05-2018), diodelphi (11-14-2014), hmong337 (11-18-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo View Post
I don't like the idea of encrypting my ROM to use their software. As I understand it, ECUTek ****s with the ECU's bootloader and makes it so you can't switch to other technologies without first reverting to stock.

This whole process is sketchy in my opinion and I want no part in it.

I also don't like the whole paradigm of having tuners tune your car without you being allowed to edit their tune. I understand that they changed some of this recently, but this always rubbed me the wrong way and I just don't think I want their software on a technological or corporate level.
The ROM flashed by OFT or Tactrix is the same. Both flash the entire rom

Both will do logging

with Tactrix you need to know the ram addresses for logging parameters.

Launch control/flat foot shift is a patch to rom code.

I have both devices ie Tactrix and OFT like to have a backup.

see links below for more info on both
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #9
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
I think whichever way you jump OP you will be happy. I personally went with OFT as it is a little more user friendly. I also quite like the realtime data display from OFT, being able to see any number of parameters at will is nice and not just from a tuning point of view.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
Thefalls (12-22-2022)
Old 11-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #10
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
We will be releasing some very tuner-friendly functions (user definable conditional alerts/alarms) with the next big firmware revision. If you want to learn how to tune, or experiment with your own tuning, while keeping a nice safety net, the OFT is hard to beat.
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
BurnetRhoades (05-05-2018), mwjcyber (11-17-2014), steve99 (11-13-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #11
pseudo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
We will be releasing some very tuner-friendly functions (user definable conditional alerts/alarms) with the next big firmware revision. If you want to learn how to tune, or experiment with your own tuning, while keeping a nice safety net, the OFT is hard to beat.
I do like the abstraction layer that the OFT provides, though in my case I don't think its entirely necessary. Nonetheless, there is nothing wrong with a safety net for a new user.

Can the OFT just pull the ROM directly so that you can edit it with open source romraider/ecuflash definitions? From what I understand, the OTS tunes flash a specific modified base ROM that doesn't necessarily match up with what is currently in your ECU. I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing, but is this a requirement, or are you free to pull the stock ROM, modify it with whatever tools you want, and upload arbitrary ROMs back to the ECU? Basically if the OFT could act as a souped up Tactrix cable, that would be appealing.

The other thing I really like about the OFT is that I believe you can save profiles on the tablet and flash back and forth between different tunes without a laptop. Is this correct? I run Linux and refuse to dual boot, so the less I need to launch KVM, the better. This feature alone might make it worthwhile.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #12
keen as

Drives: 86 GT MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post

Also, would you please include the option of temperature in Celcius?
keen as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #13
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo View Post
I do like the abstraction layer that the OFT provides, though in my case I don't think its entirely necessary. Nonetheless, there is nothing wrong with a safety net for a new user.

Can the OFT just pull the ROM directly so that you can edit it with open source romraider/ecuflash definitions? From what I understand, the OTS tunes flash a specific modified base ROM that doesn't necessarily match up with what is currently in your ECU. I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing, but is this a requirement, or are you free to pull the stock ROM, modify it with whatever tools you want, and upload arbitrary ROMs back to the ECU? Basically if the OFT could act as a souped up Tactrix cable, that would be appealing.

The other thing I really like about the OFT is that I believe you can save profiles on the tablet and flash back and forth between different tunes without a laptop. Is this correct? I run Linux and refuse to dual boot, so the less I need to launch KVM, the better. This feature alone might make it worthwhile.
Can the OFT just pull the ROM directly so that you can edit it with open source romraider/ecuflash definitions?

YES you can pull your cars stock rom save it to oft then transfer it to PC for editing with romraider using standard Romraider defs as its not calid modified. Then you can load your own customised tune rom back to your car.

If you wanted to update to a later calid the OFT guys have already done this for your just start with an OFT rom for your calid say A00C , but the OFT rom is actually a B01C inside. If you use OFT ROMs you must use their matching definitions that come with their tuned roms due the calid changes in OFT roms .

From what I understand, the OTS tunes flash a specific modified base ROM that doesn't necessarily match up with what is currently in your ECU.

The oft guys base their tuned roms on the latest available rom compatable with your calid. So for example if your original calid was A00C the OFT rom would actually be a tuned B01C rom but with calid adjusted (hacked) back to A00C so the OFT would load it as OFT checks your original calid and will only load same calid roms to your car.

Yes OFT can hold 5 custom roms in addition to your stock rom on tablet and you can flash any of these and log to screen/file on tablet and also read and clear OBD diagnostic codes without laptop . However to load/remove tunes from tablet or download log filesyou will need windows/emulator. Same with RomraiderThe only limitation of OFT is its married to your car untill you write back original tune to your car and erase tablet, then it can marry to another car. The oft will however run its diagnostics/logging obd code clearing reading on any brz/86.

The other limitation is once it read your rom into its memory it wont read another till you unmarry tablet.

Reading/writing to multiple vehicles at once is one reason I have Tactrix as well as OFT.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Pacific (11-15-2014), pseudo (11-13-2014), Shiv@Openflash (11-13-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #14
pseudo

Garage
That is everything I needed to know. Thanks so much for the help, guys.

OFT it is!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pseudo For This Useful Post:
AZOOZ_95 (12-20-2014), Shiv@Openflash (11-13-2014)