follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 01:36 PM   #3431
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Man you're crazy, i'd never put a tree on my car, let alone IN it lol
Hahaha. It was dedicated to track use only at that point so I wasn't concerned about the interior anymore. I remember another time when I went to Home Depot and loaded it up with a bunch of cement bags. With 1200lbs springs in the rear hardly dropped at all.

In a lot of ways I think hatches are more practical than smaller SUVs. At least you get fun factor and gas mileage and utility when needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 01:39 PM   #3432
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
I don't *need* a manual clutch in my sports cars any more than I need to have manually controlled ignition advance. But the positives (quicker shift times, consistently smooth downshifts in braking zones, not having to clutch all the time in stop/go traffic) need to outweigh the negatives (cost, weight, potential for not giving the "right" or expected amount of slip in stop/go, etc. etc.)
I actually perked up at the thought of manual ignition advance. I think you touched on something significant. I'm a tinkerer. As I drive, I mentally picture the moving parts doing what they're doing. I've done that since I was a kid staring down at the primary chain on my first minibike.

I suspect that I'm not alone. Consider all the vintage machines still lumbering around tracks all over the world. For me, it's not about the numbers. It's about mastering all the wheels and levers.

Quote:
The twins are sports cars, so I use it for "sports" driving.

props and kudos to you all for using it for everything else. For all you guys with mostly stock or softer suspension, sure it's probably fine. I've been modifying cars for a long time, and driving something set up for aggressive driving on the streets is really not that fun sometimes.
Not fun? I giggle a little bit every time I turn the key in mine. I would be sad not having that in my life.

Quote:
i don't daily an suv becuase it's fun, I daily it because its practical, safe, and has room for more than two people, and I can pack it up for trips to the gun range/camping/trips/etc/etc with ease. Plus it's comfortable.
Most of you sound so insecure saying you'd never daily an suv.
I bristle at the idea of safety through this vehicular arms race. I get camping and whatnot. We have a wagon with a trailer hitch that mostly sits in our driveway. Daily-driving a three ton road tank, to me, is the height of selfish inconsideration. Now I'll be the one getting all the push-back but, as you said, it's a forum for discussion. Truly, no offense intended.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #3433
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
I do wish my dd got as good gas mileage as the brz, but my commute short it makes up for it. I am constantly hauling shit though, so the space is much needed over the brz
I took too long to type. This, I get.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:49 PM   #3434
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
The NASCAR Toyota Supra’s Big Nose Actually Makes it Faster

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/toy...ra.1329/page-6

Old 08-01-2018, 01:52 PM   #3435
JeremyR

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Hahaha. It was dedicated to track use only at that point so I wasn't concerned about the interior anymore. I remember another time when I went to Home Depot and loaded it up with a bunch of cement bags. With 1200lbs springs in the rear hardly dropped at all.

In a lot of ways I think hatches are more practical than smaller SUVs. At least you get fun factor and gas mileage and utility when needed.
I love hatches! I owned a number of 240sx hatchbacks back in the day and it's still one of my favorite cars. I wish there were more fun two door rwd hatches available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Not fun? I giggle a little bit every time I turn the key in mine. I would be sad not having that in my life.

I bristle at the idea of safety through this vehicular arms race. I get camping and whatnot. We have a wagon with a trailer hitch that mostly sits in our driveway. Daily-driving a three ton road tank, to me, is the height of selfish inconsideration. Now I'll be the one getting all the push-back but, as you said, it's a forum for discussion. Truly, no offense intended.
I get the same giggles, but not so much if it leads me to the grocery store. :/

I probably should of made it more clear that i have a small suv, and not a suburban or a tahoe or expedition or other huge vehicle. Unless you've got a family of 10, those are definitely unnecessary.

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
HKS|Parts Shop MAX|Battle Version|ADVAN|Beatrush
The Following User Says Thank You to JeremyR For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 02:36 PM   #3436
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I love hatches! I owned a number of 240sx hatchbacks back in the day and it's still one of my favorite cars. I wish there were more fun two door rwd hatches available.

I get the same giggles, but not so much if it leads me to the grocery store. :/

I probably should of made it more clear that i have a small suv, and not a suburban or a tahoe or expedition or other huge vehicle. Unless you've got a family of 10, those are definitely unnecessary.
It took me 3 cars over 12 years to get my wife to stop driving oversized SUVs when it was just her in it 95% of the time. Just kept getting slightly smaller until she realized she didn't nee 7 passenger capacity.

What got to us was the comment that it was the "worst possible DD" when in fact for many of us it is the most practical vehicle out there for our needs.

You would probably be appalled at what I put the poor thing through but a SUV (or even a sedan) is just not what I need.
Attached Images

HKz (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #3437
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I'm so thankful that my life does not require much storage space. Passenger seat removed from the FRS is enough space for anything I could hope to move. If not, there's Uhaul.

I understand that many people need the space, and that's fine. But 90% of the road is covered in minivans, and huge SUVs with single occupancy. I value keeping a small footprint in parking lots, in traffic, in my drive way. It has a lot of unique benefits that I only learned after owning my Miata and selling the VR4. Small is good, but only if it fits your needs
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
ermax (08-01-2018), JeremyR (08-01-2018), spike021 (08-01-2018), Tcoat (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #3438
JeremyR

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It took me 3 cars over 12 years to get my wife to stop driving oversized SUVs when it was just her in it 95% of the time. Just kept getting slightly smaller until she realized she didn't nee 7 passenger capacity.

What got to us was the comment that it was the "worst possible DD" when in fact for many of us it is the most practical vehicle out there for our needs.

You would probably be appalled at what I put the poor thing through but a SUV (or even a sedan) is just not what I need.
I triggered a lot of people with that comment lol but i'm a bit jaded because the last sports car I had was was a dd, and was wrecked by some careless person. I put so much time/effort/money into it, to have it totaled by no fault of my own really made me weigh if using a fun car for a daily was worth it to me.

Props to you for driving it in the snow! I don't even drive mine when it rains lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I'm so thankful that my life does not require much storage space. Passenger seat removed from the FRS is enough space for anything I could hope to move. If not, there's Uhaul.

I understand that many people need the space, and that's fine. But 90% of the road is covered in minivans, and huge SUVs with single occupancy. I value keeping a small footprint in parking lots, in traffic, in my drive way. It has a lot of unique benefits that I only learned after owning my Miata and selling the VR4. Small is good, but only if it fits your needs

I think this is why the crossover market is booming.. no one really needs a giant full size vehicle when it's a single person driving it most of the time. People are going as small as they can while still having the room they need.

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
HKS|Parts Shop MAX|Battle Version|ADVAN|Beatrush
Old 08-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #3439
m.box.design

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Thanked 1,662 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
Winning by a nose?

Old 08-01-2018, 03:43 PM   #3440
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
yeah man, saying you would rather kill yourself than drive an suv is a pretty insecure thing to say.
Let’s not get crazy by taking every comment literally. Here you go:

Things I would find highly annoying about daily driving an SUV that would make it intolerable in the long term are the following:

-A tall seat height. I don’t like the feeling like I am sitting on the hood or roof and not in the car.
-A high COG. Excess body roll around turns makes me feel like a fatty.
-Big engines, small responces. Again, there is all this mass that requires big engines, yet there is still poor acceleration and terrible transitions.
-Few/no manuals. Except for the Crosstrek and some Jeeps, AWD and manuals don’t exist, and without the AWD, there are limited manuals in only base models.
-Did I mention they are big and heavy. Yeah that.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #3441
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My Snow and Rock Climbing second vehicle. At 9-10 Mpg, and weighing 5800 pounds it's not a DD
Attached Images

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete

Last edited by stevesnj; 08-01-2018 at 05:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
rvoll (08-02-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 07:25 PM   #3442
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I get why people have bigger SUVs, a lot of families use them to tow and haul. What I dont get are all the CUVs these days like the HVR and CHR. I would much rather have a Honda Fit or Corolla iM.
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 09:00 PM   #3443
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
I get why people have bigger SUVs, a lot of families use them to tow and haul. What I dont get are all the CUVs these days like the HVR and CHR. I would much rather have a Honda Fit or Corolla iM.
Obviously a great many people would rather not!
What sells has nothing to do with what each of us as an individual would rather have. I personally don't have a clue why so many people are buying pick up trucks.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:09 PM   #3444
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Obviously a great many people would rather not!

What sells has nothing to do with what each of us as an individual would rather have. I personally don't have a clue why so many people are buying pick up trucks.

Well in the states people seem to think of the SUV as a status symbol. Not sure they want them for any reason other than to keep up with the Jones. The FRS may not be practical for some people but it’s a lot more practical than a big ass SUV if you have nothing to haul and are single with no kids.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-01-2018)

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose