follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2023, 01:30 AM   #9493
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Oh and in other news, yes I bought the SC’d car. Probably paid a bit too much but I should come out okay in the end as it had a lot more parts on it then I thought. Not known for making the smartest decisions. It absolutely has rod knock but ran well enough to get it on/off the trailer. Yes the wheels will be the first thing to go, before the bad engine even.
Looks like it even has the Spec D (deez) headlights.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (12-12-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 07:09 AM   #9494
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
I heard people die after they retired, that's mean work is health?
Pretty sure that stat is 100%.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (12-12-2023), NoHaveMSG (12-11-2023), pope (12-12-2023), Teseo (12-11-2023), Ultramaroon (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 08:47 AM   #9495
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Oh and in other news, yes I bought the SC’d car. Probably paid a bit too much but I should come out okay in the end as it had a lot more parts on it then I thought. Not known for making the smartest decisions. It absolutely has rod knock but ran well enough to get it on/off the trailer. Yes the wheels will be the first thing to go, before the bad engine even.

Wait, I'll take those wheels lol.
Old 12-11-2023, 10:11 AM   #9496
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,859 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Looks like it even has the Spec D (deez) headlights.
Nuts, you noticed them.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
spike021 (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 12:17 PM   #9497
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
lol
Old 12-11-2023, 12:23 PM   #9498
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,244 Times in 8,612 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I was thinking the same thing. 100% even if you don't retire.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 10:16 PM   #9499
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Almost every day I'll say something at work and my teammates respond as if either I've said something stupid or incomprehensible.

I'll reword it a few times and many times they still don't understand.

OR they'll clearly mishear what I said or ignore half of what I said and fill in the blanks themselves.

I've even sent screenshots of the conversations that happen online and not over calls to a couple of my software engineer buddies, one who's staff level (one of the highest seniority titles with more years of experience than me) at another company, and they both understand exactly what I meant.

Today it was half misunderstanding and half assuming I'm a dimwit. Basically in software you usually have a test environment so you can test changes and stuff without screwing up stuff being used by customers, and then the production environment is what customers use. So I was telling my team I need to test something manually in our testing environment instead of our automated process in order to find out why it's broken. They all got on me about how "no we only use the automated process even for testing because it's against protocol to do things manually and besides even if you figure out the problem you'll have to fix it in the automated part anyway"

So I was saying it's our test environment for a reason, it's pretty common to have to troubleshoot and debug something manually if the automated system has a failure that not everyone understands. Somehow from what I just typed I also got a complaint from another teammate how this isn't the way to do things and you can't do it in production either!! (Like I was implying I'd be fixing it manually in production)

All I wanted to do was manually test it in our test environment to try proving a theory and then if that panned out figure out how to fix our automated system to handle it IN the test environment first (because why wouldn't I?) and then once that's confirmed push it out to the production environment using the updated automated system.

I'm like not sure what to do at this point because this is the second job in a row where I have coworkers like this.

It feels like because I'm shitty at some of the work we do, my teammates (not all but at least half) end up generalizing and assuming everything I say is shit.

There's been times when a couple teammates of mine will message me later on saying "yeah I knew what you meant but it's a losing battle" (paraphrasing)

Maybe I'm just thin skinned and this shouldn't be bothering me like it is but it's really demotivating when I need to ping coworkers about something and they refuse to understand what I'm saying and leap to unnecessary conclusions.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (12-12-2023), Spuds (12-12-2023), Wally86 (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 08:53 AM   #9500
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Almost every day I'll say something at work and my teammates respond as if either I've said something stupid or incomprehensible.

I'll reword it a few times and many times they still don't understand.

OR they'll clearly mishear what I said or ignore half of what I said and fill in the blanks themselves.

I've even sent screenshots of the conversations that happen online and not over calls to a couple of my software engineer buddies, one who's staff level (one of the highest seniority titles with more years of experience than me) at another company, and they both understand exactly what I meant.

Today it was half misunderstanding and half assuming I'm a dimwit. Basically in software you usually have a test environment so you can test changes and stuff without screwing up stuff being used by customers, and then the production environment is what customers use. So I was telling my team I need to test something manually in our testing environment instead of our automated process in order to find out why it's broken. They all got on me about how "no we only use the automated process even for testing because it's against protocol to do things manually and besides even if you figure out the problem you'll have to fix it in the automated part anyway"

So I was saying it's our test environment for a reason, it's pretty common to have to troubleshoot and debug something manually if the automated system has a failure that not everyone understands. Somehow from what I just typed I also got a complaint from another teammate how this isn't the way to do things and you can't do it in production either!! (Like I was implying I'd be fixing it manually in production)

All I wanted to do was manually test it in our test environment to try proving a theory and then if that panned out figure out how to fix our automated system to handle it IN the test environment first (because why wouldn't I?) and then once that's confirmed push it out to the production environment using the updated automated system.

I'm like not sure what to do at this point because this is the second job in a row where I have coworkers like this.

It feels like because I'm shitty at some of the work we do, my teammates (not all but at least half) end up generalizing and assuming everything I say is shit.

There's been times when a couple teammates of mine will message me later on saying "yeah I knew what you meant but it's a losing battle" (paraphrasing)

Maybe I'm just thin skinned and this shouldn't be bothering me like it is but it's really demotivating when I need to ping coworkers about something and they refuse to understand what I'm saying and leap to unnecessary conclusions.

I can understand where you are coming from. My work is not software related but we follow strict guidelines and there are a so many processes that is hard to keep up. But I've found that deviating from procedure/protocol/guidelines is a necessary evil that can be considered a process improvement in the end. So I just do it, and if it works, it works. If it doesn't then we use what it is already established.

Do it manually, test your theory and then share your results against using the automated system. Who knows, the automated system might be bugged in itself and no one is willing to say anything because "Its the way we have always done it". Change is something that it is very hard for people to accept, no matter in what situation it is. Change doesn't mean replacement, but it can improvement, and things can and should always be in constant improvement in order to keep up with the times.

Unless it would be against company policy and policy specifically says that deviating (Testing Manually) from procedure can mean discharge, then don't. But to me protocol means 'The way we have always done it". If not, share your findings and incorporate into the process.
Spuds (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 10:42 AM   #9501
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Sitting on a management training where they are explaining the new "Daily Pay" option, where employees can withdrawal against their paycheck every day.

There are no fees for "next day" pay, and a "small fee" for same day pay.

Don't get me wrong I see the advantage if you have an emergency, but this just seems like it will make bad habits worse rather than really helping anyone. I could also see it advantageous if you get paid monthly (like MomHawk does) to set up a more frequent payrate, but I'm really struggling to see where this is a true benefit for most.

Last edited by Dadhawk; 12-12-2023 at 12:28 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (12-12-2023), Spuds (12-12-2023), Ultramaroon (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 11:44 AM   #9502
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The big story on the news this morning is that the first In-N-Out burger in Idaho opens today. People have been lined up over night........for a burger.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (12-12-2023), pope (12-12-2023), Spuds (12-12-2023), Ultramaroon (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 12:36 PM   #9503
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Once I built an entire machine out of spare parts my way while at the same time addressing my customer's issue their way. Wasted several weeks following orders. My way was correct. Sometimes you just have to be a rebel to get shit done.
Old 12-12-2023, 03:37 PM   #9504
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Got scene at the VA today and hit up the triage to expedite everything. They got my physician to come by and take a look. While she didn't suspect it to be malignant, they are referring me to dermatology. So hopefully I will be able to see them within a week or so.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
86-75309 (12-13-2023), Dadhawk (12-12-2023), NoHaveMSG (12-12-2023), Sapphireho (12-12-2023), Spuds (12-12-2023), Ultramaroon (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 05:20 PM   #9505
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On the eleventh day of Christmas the forum gave to me,

Eleven perfect fitments

Ten catbacks piping
Nine crickets chirping
eight valves a leaking
Seven rods a knocking
six tires a burning
Five broken liiiiiiiiiiinks
Four Polling Nerds
Three trollers trolling
Two new posts
And a database error in a tree
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-12-2023), NoHaveMSG (12-12-2023), pope (12-12-2023), Spuds (12-12-2023), x808drifter (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 07:49 PM   #9506
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

On the twelfth day of Christmas the forum gave to me,

Twelve spots a chipping
Eleven perfect fitments
Ten catbacks piping
Nine crickets chirping
eight valves a leaking
Seven rods a knocking
six tires a burning
Five broken liiiiiiiiiiinks
Four Polling Nerds
Three trollers trolling
Two new posts
And a database error in a tree

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (12-12-2023), pope (12-12-2023), Spuds (12-12-2023), Ultramaroon (12-13-2023)

Tags
have you turned it off/on, i heart my boxer, i still hate you all, kiss me, maple syrup, multipass, next one is a prequel, ow my balls, special_k abandoned you, the search for more money