follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 07-12-2015, 09:48 PM   #1
TCR

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TCR's weekend/track car from Australia.

So not long after I sold my Sierra Cosworth, I started looking for a new weekend toy.

I wanted something that I could take for a run through the hills or out to the track, had potential for development, was easy to get parts for, and at the end of the day if I binned it, I could walk away from without losing too much sleep. Hence the Toyota 86 GT.

I started looking around on Carsales etc, and then got a call from a mate who had recently acquired an 86. He tells me he's had a change of mind as is looking to offload his new toy. The car already had an intake pipe, headers, exhaust, coilovers, Enkei RPF1 wheels, a remapped ECU and only 7,500 klms on the clock. Picked it up from him the next week.

First thing to do was purchase a few more track orientated bits, so I ordered a set of MCA Reds from Josh Coote, QFM A1RM brake pads, braided brake lines, brake fluid, GTS calipers and rotors, Mishimoto oil cooler and catch can, and Hankook RS-3 tyres.

Before I started on fitting up the new parts I set about contacting Tony Young at Coyote Tuning to get a custom E85 tune done. The car had already been remapped by Willall Racing, and had 4 different maps including E85, but I wanted to run exclusively on the E85, and wanted to make sure if was going to be a safe tune for the track. So I dropped in a K&N air filter into the standard air box and ended up with a conservative 133 rwks. Tony did a great job and I would highly recommend him to anyone.

So by the time the tune was sorted, the new bits had arrived and it was time to fit them up. I won't bore you with details as it's all fairly straight forward stuff, save the front brake calipers. Interestingly the pistons in the GT calipers and slightly bigger than the GTS calipers, so whilst I fitted the GTS brakes to allow the use of the larger, ventilated GTS rotors, the front caliper ended up being a "hybrid" of sorts using the sliding part of the GTS caliper and the GT part containing the pistons.

I wanted everything I did to the car to be about performance rather than looks, but I did feel it looked a little cut off at the rear end so I fitted a 5 Axis rear lip.

First track day was a Time Attack event at Lakeside Raceway. As it was more of a shakedown than anything, I took it pretty easy at first, and only did a total of three sessions. In saying that I was pretty happy with a fastest time of 62.95, especially on the Hankook RS-3s. With some decent R specs, I reckon there's a high 60s to be had.

Last weekend I managed to get out for my second track day at Queensland Raceway. Thankfully we were on the shorter Sprint circuit, and after 4 sessions, managed a 60.6, which I was pretty happy with considering the basic mods to date.

I'm not sure where this will end up in the future, but I may end up taking out the rear seats to put in a half cage for continued weekend straps and track work, or strip it out completely to build a Prod Touring or Prodsports race car, or maybe turbo it for more fasts if i get bored with the NA configuration.

Current mods include:

Engine/Exhaust:
E85 tune - Yeilding a conservative 133rwks (178hp)
XForce uncatted EL headers
SME catted frontpipe and overpipe
Perrin silicone air intake
Perrin lightweight crank pulley
Mishimoto oil cooler
Mishimoto catch can
K&N air filter
Amsoil 5W-30 engine oil.

Brakes:
Standard GTS front and rear calipers
Standard GTS rotors
QFM A1RM brake pads
Braided Brake Lines
TRW GP600 brake fluid

Wheels/Tyres:
Enkei RPF1 17x8 ET35 wheels
225/45/17 Hankook Z221 tyres

Suspension:
MCA Red coilovers
Whiteline lower control arm offset bushes

Exterior:
5AD rear spoiler

Future Mods:
DBA 4000 rear rotors
DBA 5000 front rotors
Brake master cylinder brace
Invidia Q300 Catback exhaust
4.55 diff ratio
Lightweight battery
Rear seat delete
4 point AGI roll cage
6 point harness
Race seat

Last edited by TCR; 02-09-2016 at 06:46 PM.
TCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:24 AM   #2
TCR

Just ordered a set of 17x9 ET35 RPF1 wheels to use for the street, so that I can put some decent R Spec tyres on the existing 17x8 RPF1 wheels.

I also added a mod list to the original post so that it's easy for me to update and everyone else to follow
Old 08-10-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
TCR

Went back to the track for a Time Attack event over the weekend. Same setup as before, so just focused on tweaking the suspension and tyre pressures. It was a nice fine day, 22 degrees Celcius (70F), and managed to take six tenths of my previous PB.

I was a little concerned that oil temps got up to 105 degrees Celcius (220F), even with the oil cooler, but from some searching on this forum that seems acceptable.

I made myself a GoPro mount with some 32mm pvc tubing from the local hardware store.

Here's my fastest lap of the day.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3g-sbVHNwk"]Lakeside 08-08-15 - YouTube[/ame]

And a nice shot from one of the photographers.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #4
BWilky

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR View Post
I made myself a GoPro mount with some 32mm pvc tubing from the local hardware store.
Love the DIY GoPro mount, I will have to remember that one!

BWilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:18 PM   #5
TCR

With three track days under my belt, I thought it was time for a little maintenance work and see how everything was wearing.

Both tracks I ran are clockwise, so I was interested to see how the left hand side tyres were coping. So far so good, but might need a little more camber or a toe adjustment on the rear. Will purchase a tyre pyro in the near future to get some more proper readings on things.

All the rotors are wearing well considering they're stock GTS items, but I suspect the fronts are getting a little too hot. Will switch to some slotted DBA units once they wear out. Brake pads still have a few track days left in them yet. Also took the opportunity to flush some new fluid through each caliper.

The other reason I had to take the wheels off, was to fit my new 17x9 RPF1 wheels and 245/40/17 rubber. This'll mean I can put some proper R Specs on the 8" RPF1s when the current Hankook RS3s are done.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:32 PM   #6
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
X-Force headers, huh. Never heard of them. Are they only available in Australia? I like the name though!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:43 PM   #7
TCR

Yes, Australian company.

http://www.xforce.com.au/bolt-on-sys...cid-1063040100
Old 08-17-2015, 12:32 AM   #8
Juvenile

Drives: 86 GTS
Thanked 1,430 Times in 417 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Nice work, any pics of the Sierra ?
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:08 AM   #9
TCR

The Following User Says Thank You to TCR For This Useful Post:
Juvenile (08-17-2015)
Old 02-07-2016, 06:38 PM   #10
TCR

Not much to report in the way of mods. I did change my "hybrid" GT/GTS front calipers back to standard GTS front calipers to see if it changed the brake balance much. The J2 catback exhaust got a bit loud for me, so I installed an SME catted frontpipe and overpipe to replace the OEM stuff, and then put the standard catback exhaust on to replace the J2 catback. The result was a much quieter car and all of 1kw difference on the dyno I also replaced my Hankook RS3 tyres with some Hankook Z221 tyres, still in 225/45/17.

Not really a mod, but I also got myself an AIM Solo DL, so need to get that setup and learn some data analysis.

It's still summer here, so not ideal for setting hot laps, but went to the track on Saturday and managed to take off 1.3 seconds of my PB with the new boots. The fastest ever lap around here in an 86 is 60.88 in a car with similar specs to mine, but with a BBK. Mine still has standard GTS brake calipers and rotors, so I'm reasonably confident that with cooler temps and a brake upgrade of some description I'll get there at some point this year.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enIwomWad7A"]Lakeside Sprints 06-02-16 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by TCR; 02-07-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:20 PM   #11
TCR

Photo and results from Saturday's track day.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:18 PM   #12
TCR

Had another meeting at one of our local tracks, and finally got to test out the Solo DL properly.

Good news was I set another PB and reset the lap record for an 86, only to be pipped by someone else late in the day. Bad news was I came off trying to improve my lap and sustained some damage. Mostly cosmetic, so hopefully I'll get it all fixed and back out of the track later in the year.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ABNFZUNK-c"]Lakeside 1:00.80 - YouTube[/ame]