follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #15
willimusk

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP CWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakinit View Post
I didn't even know carbon systems would ship to the US...that would have made my whole life easier. I hope to get mine fully wired and installed this weekend.
Yeah, I had to do some cajoling.
willimusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #16
HBKeazy!

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
I bought mine through fasmoto.com got it in 3 days.It's nice that carbon offers that bundle so you can plug and play but it's nothing you can't make yourself if you do the research and probably for half the price too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HBKeazy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #17
willimusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBKeazy! View Post
I bought mine through fasmoto.com got it in 3 days.It's nice that carbon offers that bundle so you can plug and play but it's nothing you can't make yourself if you do the research and probably for half the price too.
Sure, you can do all this yourself. I just didn't want the hassle and headaches of trying source the right cables and pieces to make the HU work. I paid like $925 USD, shipped, so around $275 more than fastmoto. That premium was easily worth it to me. Plus, I appreciate that Carbon takes the time to make videos for installation, etc., and were very responsive to myriad email questions. I like supporting good retailers--even if they're on another continent.
The Following User Says Thank You to willimusk For This Useful Post:
tv4184 (01-23-2018)
Old 07-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #18
HBKeazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willimusk View Post
Sure, you can do all this yourself. I just didn't want the hassle and headaches of trying source the right cables and pieces to make the HU work. I paid like $925 USD, shipped, so around $275 more than fastmoto. That premium was easily worth it to me. Plus, I appreciate that Carbon takes the time to make videos for installation, etc., and were very responsive to myriad email questions. I like supporting good retailers--even if they're on another continent.

The headunit from fasmoto with shipping by DHL is $650 USD it's not really a headache if you do the research. It's about $50 worth of cables and the head unit $650. So $700 OTD, the bundle they sell is basically the exact same cables you would have to order. They sell just soldered couple pieces made it look better and sell it for twice, But if that makes you happy that's cool.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #19
driggity

Drives: Silver Coupe with a Boxer
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
The headunit from fasmoto with shipping by DHL is $650 USD it's not really a headache if you do the research. It's about $50 worth of cables and the head unit $650. So $700 OTD, the bundle they sell is basically the exact same cables you would have to order. They sell just soldered couple pieces made it look better and sell it for twice, But if that makes you happy that's cool.

Did you have to get a wiring harness adaptor for power and speakers or just the USB retention, antenna adaptor, and camera adaptor (which I wouldn't need)? Thanks.
driggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #20
Jakinit

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Limited (MT)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by driggity View Post
Did you have to get a wiring harness adaptor for power and speakers or just the USB retention, antenna adaptor, and camera adaptor (which I wouldn't need)? Thanks.
Power and speakers came with the unit even steering wheel controls (not sure if it works fully with the BRZ yet as I'm having issues with it not recognizing all my controls). You just need USB, antenna, and camera.
Jakinit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jakinit For This Useful Post:
driggity (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 05:25 PM   #21
HBKeazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driggity View Post

Yea what jakinit said, if you have the oem camera you need the camera adapter ax-(toycam3) with the 12v to 6v (ax-cam6v) so you won't burn out the camera and a reverse signal can be retrieved from that harness as well. Then you need the PAC USB retention cable (USB-TY1) and the antenna adapter from metra (40-LX11) it's so cool that this headunit has two high powered USB ports I have the other in my glove compartment that charges my headphones or someone else's phone, pretty useful.

The Following User Says Thank You to HBKeazy! For This Useful Post:
driggity (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 10:41 PM   #22
Jakinit

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Limited (MT)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yea what jakinit said, if you have the oem camera you need the camera adapter ax-(toycam3) with the 12v to 6v (ax-cam6v) so you won't burn out the camera and a reverse signal can be retrieved from that harness as well. Then you need the PAC USB retention cable (USB-TY1) and the antenna adapter from metra (40-LX11) it's so cool that this headunit has two high powered USB ports I have the other in my glove compartment that charges my headphones or someone else's phone, pretty useful.

I'm gonna drill a hole in my center console and route the second USB port there. That way I an use Android auto all the time without a cable hanging by my shifter.
Jakinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:16 AM   #23
Krion

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Has anyone had any issues with their speakers since installation?

I installed my DDX917WS yesterday and the bass in my car sounds awful now. Even with the bass turned all the way up in the EQ it sounds non-existent. Way worse than stock.
Krion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:12 AM   #24
HBKeazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krion View Post

I installed my DDX917WS yesterday and the bass in my car sounds awful now. Even with the bass turned all the way up in the EQ it sounds non-existent. Way worse than stock.

I bypassed the oem amp for that reason

Old 07-14-2017, 11:00 AM   #25
Krion

Quote:
I bypassed the oem amp for that reason

How exactly is that possible? Does the kenwood unit have a built in amp? or did you add an after market amp?
Old 07-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #26
driggity

Drives: Silver Coupe with a Boxer
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakinit View Post
Power and speakers came with the unit even steering wheel controls (not sure if it works fully with the BRZ yet as I'm having issues with it not recognizing all my controls). You just need USB, antenna, and camera.

Thanks for the info. Where did you get your unit from?
driggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:58 AM   #27
willimusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krion View Post

I have no issues with bass.

Go to Audio > Sound Effects > Bass Boost
Old 07-14-2017, 12:20 PM   #28
Krion

I've messed with all the settings already. Maybe it has something to do with the wiring. I guess I'll just take it to a professional.