follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
Strive-2-B-A-Driver
Better yet.. "DrivenSoul"

Drives: IS350, Honda Fit Turbo, FD3S RX-7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FR-S driven on outdoor go kart track

This was filmed at Adam's Motosports Park in Riverside, CA

Sorry for the shaky filming, we were not able to find a mount so the passenger had to hold the camera. This is my first lap out so I was trying to get a good feel of the car and how the Stability Control kicks in. I was also just giving some starting suggestions for his first time out here. I don't think my style is the fastest, but I find it to be easy to learn and usually it helps bring down lap times for first timers.

Even will all electronics "shut off", the car tries very hard to keep the rear end planted during trail braking and rough steering input. The car will come into almost any corner just slightly understeering but very neutral and a tip of the gas will easily send the rear end outwards. I can literally feel the rear end asking me mid-corner if it could come out, a simple blip would do the trick. Trying to upset the balance of the car with the steering wheel is tough as the car fights back trying to keep the car in a balanced, skid-free state. It also applies brakes to the rear wheel that spins faster, acting like a mechanical diff. That's all I can feel while driving it but other things may also be happening that I'm not aware of, power never seems to get reduced.

Overall I think that I prefer the less tail-happy nature of the BRZ which keeps things a little more predictable. The FR-S is more fun to drive but is a little bit of a handful. It slides around just a little more than I would like, whereas the BRZ has IMO a perfect balance between safe and fun. It takes more effort to get the rear end out, but not much. You're able to choose between neat driving or hooligan driving more easily in the Subaru.

Tell me what you think!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k4u4CHKd5Y"]Scion FR-S Mini-Track Test - YouTube[/ame]
Strive-2-B-A-Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strive-2-B-A-Driver For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-02-2012), einzlr (11-03-2012), MarkRacerX (11-03-2012), Spartan65 (11-03-2012), travace (11-02-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
TTGT

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Looks fun!
TTGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
ThePoet

Drives: Scion FR-S
Man that looks awesome. How do you get in on one of those track meet things? I live about 20 minutes from Riverside and would love to do something like that sometime.
ThePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:33 AM   #4
Moshpit37
FR-S Owner!

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strive-2-B-A-Driver View Post
Even will all electronics "shut off", the car tries very hard to keep the rear end planted during trail braking and rough steering input. The car will come into almost any corner just slightly understeering but very neutral and a tip of the gas will easily send the rear end outwards. I can literally feel the rear end asking me mid-corner if it could come out, a simple blip would do the trick. Trying to upset the balance of the car with the steering wheel is tough as the car fights back trying to keep the car in a balanced, skid-free state. It also applies brakes to the rear wheel that spins faster, acting like a mechanical diff. That's all I can feel while driving it but other things may also be happening that I'm not aware of, power never seems to get reduced.
I hate to ask this, but are you sure you had the nannies fully disengaged? Were you in VSC Sport mode or did you hold down the TC Off button for the 5-6 seconds required to actually completely disengage the Traction and Stability controls (the two lights both illuminated amber, not amber/green) ? I ask because what you are describing sounds more like VSC Sport mode to me. When I turn everything off completely, I can induce a drift just taking a hard left out of a stop light at full throttle, and I drive an automatic (so I'm having to come up through the torque dip and everything). As long as I keep my go-pedal planted, the back end will swing free with no feel of any brakes being applied out back.

Frances - 2013 Scion FR-S in Ultramarine
Owner's Journal
Moshpit37 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moshpit37 For This Useful Post:
Freeman (11-03-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Strive-2-B-A-Driver
Better yet.. "DrivenSoul"

Drives: IS350, Honda Fit Turbo, FD3S RX-7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePoet View Post
Man that looks awesome. How do you get in on one of those track meet things? I live about 20 minutes from Riverside and would love to do something like that sometime.
Every tuesday starting at 6pm it's open for anyone with $5 gate fee, $20 per hour long session (3 sessions available every tuesday), and $5 helmet rental if you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshpit37 View Post
I hate to ask this, but are you sure you had the nannies fully disengaged? Were you in VSC Sport mode or did you hold down the TC Off button for the 5-6 seconds required to actually completely disengage the Traction and Stability controls (the two lights both illuminated amber, not amber/green) ? I ask because what you are describing sounds more like VSC Sport mode to me. When I turn everything off completely, I can induce a drift just taking a hard left out of a stop light at full throttle, and I drive an automatic (so I'm having to come up through the torque dip and everything). As long as I keep my go-pedal planted, the back end will swing free with no feel of any brakes being applied out back.
Yes everything was fully off, I held down the left button only. I can see the lights still flashing when I try to get the car off-balance
Strive-2-B-A-Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strive-2-B-A-Driver For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (11-03-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
MarkRacerX

Drives: 12' Evo X , prior 1st 86 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Right on, Looks like a Fun Lil Course !!!! When I did open drifting in mine, everything OFF I didn't get any lights at all flashing.

Thanks for sharing!
08' STi, 04' 350Z, 04' STi, 02' WRX. 96' GSR, 04' SE-R/SpecV
MarkRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
nice! looks fun
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strive-2-B-A-Driver View Post
Every tuesday starting at 6pm it's open for anyone with $5 gate fee, $20 per hour long session (3 sessions available every tuesday), and $5 helmet rental if you need it
Wow that sounds great! Wonder if there's something like that up here...

"Simplicate and add lightness." - Gordon Hooton
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote