follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

User Tag List

Old 09-15-2016, 07:03 AM   #99
alxtheoreo

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Autobahn Manassas league started today. Plenty of fun, good racers. Some insanely good.

There were 25 racers, and I am sure they could accomodate a few more, so if you guys want to join, it's going to continue for 8 weeks, every Wednesday at 8.
Great reporting, dude. I still need to try their track. So far, I plan on going to their "Mario Kart Madness" event on OCT 1.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
mdm (09-15-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 11:42 PM   #100
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Autobahn announced they are going to open another track in DC area, in Dulles VA, pretty close to where Allsports track was. No date give though, even preliminary.

Also I hear that there is virtually no chance for Allsports to come back.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mdm For This Useful Post:
alxtheoreo (10-18-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 11:25 AM   #101
mdm
not a twin owner

Winter league at Autobahn Manassas starts Jan 4. And there is 2-hr long enduro race palnned for 12/28.
https://www.facebook.com/ManassasLea...34489983650983
alxtheoreo (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 10:53 AM   #102
alxtheoreo

Quote:
Winter league at Autobahn Manassas starts Jan 4. And there is 2-hr long enduro race palnned for 12/28.
https://www.facebook.com/ManassasLea...34489983650983
That enduro sounds interesting. How many people are on your team & how does it work with charging the karts?

Old 12-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #103
mdm
not a twin owner

I don't have anyone on my team yet, it's still being organized and actually it might be postponed. Now the plan is that we'll run first 4 weeks of the league starting Jan 4, then do the enduro, then the remaining four weeks of the league. 4 people per team according to the plan.

I have not participated in an enduro yet, but from what they told me you change drivers and karts at the same time. So the driver exits the track, stops in the pits, takes the timer out of the kart, runs to waiting drivers' box, gives the timer to the waiting driver, who runs to a new kart, puts the timer on, and drives off.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:59 AM   #104
mdm
not a twin owner

Quote:
I went there (Dominion Raceway) Saturday. The place has potential, but for now it's somewhat mixed experience.

Pros:
- currently it's the only gas kart track AND the only outdoor track that is sort of in the DC area
- the layout is not as bad as I thought, at least when you drive a "Superkart". They changed it a bit (but not much) compared to that picture above.
- the (super)karts are pretty good. Fast and light enough to respond to body movements, like leaning outside in a turn. They are very new, so tight and pretty consistent. Some teething problems though, one superkart had pretty bad vibration at full speed, and the chain fell off another one while I was driving (I got a free race for that)
- I liked the helmet, it was very comfortable for me. Some weird manufacturer "Awina" but had DOT3 certification.
- they give neck collars (Sparco anatomic or similar), which is good for karts with no rollbars or seat belts (I used my Valhalla though)

Cons:
- the layout still could be more demanding amd interesting, with good racing line (if you're not afraid of driving inches from barriers) much of the track except two or maybe three turns can be driven full throttle even in a superkart, at least on a hot day (meaning good grip). The long straightaway is still too long.
- the "regular" karts are far too slow for the track. You can drive the entire track full throttle without much effort. On the straightaway you get very bored. You could read a book driving a regular kart, much easier than Clarkson drifting an 86. Unfortunately, you have to drive at least once in a regular kart to "qualify" for a superkart. The qualifying is purely qualitiative, meaning that the guy looks at you driving the regular kart and judges whether you're good enough, and asks you how do you feel about it. This is because...
- there is no electronic timing system. No electronic timing board, no printouts afterwards. Not to mention online access to previous results. So you cannot see if you are improving. You actuallycannot really compete with other people on the track. This is probably the worst part.
- there were very few people there, so not much fun racing. Especially when some racers were in regular karts and other in superkarts. There could be, I think, about 15 maybe 20 karts on the track, when I raced there was between 2 and 4 people. Hopefully this will change, it was the first day.
- the whole thing is set up within car racing oval track, which imposes serious limitation. The layout cannot be improved much, it must be that long straightaway (a part of the oval) plus a narrow windy part within the infield. The schedule is dictated by the schedule of car races. To get to the ticket/starting area, you need to cross the oval and the karting track, meaning you can only enter or exit the facility only between kart racing and wait in the sun while race is on. It is a bit annoying.
- it is far from DC area (which is a potential large market), and worse, the access is via I-95 which is notoriously jammed south of DC. It was supposed to be 1 hr away from the place I live, it took me almost 2 hours to get there, on a Saturday afternoon.

Not sure if pro or con: for a superkart on that grippy asphalt on a hot day, you really need gloves. I have a huge blister on my hand after just 4 and a half races, including one in a regular kart.
I hear much is going to change this season. From electronic timing with online access, to alternative track layouts, to leagues and enduros, to easier access to the tarck (no need to cross the kart track, so no need to wait until race has ended). It looks like that last season they were just trying it out, now they are getting more serious. They say they'll open in February.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:53 PM   #105
mdm
not a twin owner

DR Superkarts reopen this month. On 2/18 and 2/19 they offer unlimited racing for $150 (for one day). Details on their FB page.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #106
JoeCFRS

Drives: 2013 Firestorm red FRS manual
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Went to the new Dulles track this weekend. Its the best one in the area. If you are a regular and/or know what you are doing they will let you use the paddle shifters. I set the new track record there with a 27.103
JoeCFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #107
Whooppee777

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCFRS View Post
Went to the new Dulles track this weekend. Its the best one in the area. If you are a regular and/or know what you are doing they will let you use the paddle shifters. I set the new track record there with a 27.103
Noice!

'14 BRZ Limited
'17 Crosstrek
'87 Buick Grand National
Whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #108
MarkR171

Drives: '05 Elise
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
How do their electric karts compare to the gas karts? I've never been a fan of electric karts but I've never driven one of the karts w/ shifters.

ex '15 Scion FR-S
MarkR171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #109
alxtheoreo

Quote:
Yo, where is it? I live in Sterling.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #110
mdm
not a twin owner

Quote:

Impressive! Soi they did let you use paddle shifters on Sunday? They said recently they would only do it on weekdays because of complex logistics of explaining paddle shifters to inexperienced weekend drivers.

I still have to go to Dulles, but I went to Dominion Raceway yesterday, did 8 races in superkarts, most parts of my body ache today ;-)

Alex: 45448 E. Severn Way Sterling, VA 20166
alxtheoreo (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 11:18 AM   #111
JoeCFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
How do their electric karts compare to the gas karts? I've never been a fan of electric karts but I've never driven one of the karts w/ shifters.
Ive never driven gas carts. The paddle shifters make it much more fun than the standard electric carts though.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:25 AM   #112
JoeCFRS

Quote:
Impressive! Soi they did let you use paddle shifters on Sunday? They said recently they would only do it on weekdays because of complex logistics of explaining paddle shifters to inexperienced weekend drivers.

I still have to go to Dulles, but I went to Dominion Raceway yesterday, did 8 races in superkarts, most parts of my body ache today ;-)

Alex: 45448 E. Severn Way Sterling, VA 20166

Yea they did. There is also a boost button which you can use 1 to 2 times per race which they let us use also. The track was pretty empty when we went. The one guy asked me about my helmet and i was talking to him about autocross. So, they asked if I wanted to use the paddle shifters. I think if you know what you are doing and they can see that you can ask and they will let you.

Ive been wanting to do the dominion karts. Looks like a lot of fun.