follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #309
babydriver
Hit the road and I'm gone

Drives: 2015 FR-S Burnt Orange (Hot Lava)
Thanked 1,786 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
A lot of work went into this, too:

Yeah, but it can't corner worth a damn.
Sarlacc (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 09:54 AM   #310
babydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choco View Post

This is the ugliest FRS I've seen.
There could be a reason for that: it's not a Twin.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #311
babydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
They're not pretty, does nothing for the aesthetics, but they make me feel less sorry for my car when doing scandinavian flicks on dirt roads.
Man, that black car and those rims in the snow are simply awesome.
Sarlacc (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #312
babydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
The OEM ones aren't really "flaps", they are minimal extensions that actually do a pretty good job. Here's a photo of a Firestorm with them on (I also have them but these are better photos @NoFear99.)
Actually, they are called "mud guards". I'm putting a set on my baby today.
$95 U.S. list, $42 on eBay.

P.S.: These mud guards and the TRD cold air intake are two items that, in my opinion, should have been included as stock items on the base model. Consider that we have three holes (two visible) in the rear part of each fender/bumper cover/wheelwell liner to accommodate attaching these things. The car comes in the U.S. without even plugs for these holes. The mud guard appears to be a part intended to be included originally, but for some reason ($$$) was left off at the last minute. So it's now an "option."
Dadhawk (02-02-2015), Sarlacc (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 11:05 AM   #313
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydriver View Post
Actually, they are called "mud guards". I'm putting a set on my baby today.
$95 U.S. list, $42 on eBay.

P.S.: These mud guards and the TRD cold air intake are two items that, in my opinion, should have been included as stock items on the base model. Consider that we have three holes (two visible) in the rear part of each fender/bumper cover/wheelwell liner to accommodate attaching these things. The car comes in the U.S. without even plugs for these holes. The mud guard appears to be a part intended to be included originally, but for some reason ($$$) was left off at the last minute. So it's now an "option."
They are included on all Canadian cars. We also get heated mirrors as standard.
I guess they figure that the need stops at the border.
Choco (02-02-2015), Dadhawk (02-02-2015), shifter907 (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #314
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
The OEM ones aren't really "flaps", they are minimal extensions that actually do a pretty good job. Here's a photo of a Firestorm with them on (I also have them but these are better photos @NoFear99.)
Those look great, the OEM look is awesome.

Here is my vote, for an awful looking car:
The Following User Says Thank You to Timmy_Jones For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #315
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM7 View Post
If there was a guy at work that everyone thought was some jacked alpha male bodybuilder, and then one day you noticed he's wearing a foam muscle suite underneath his clothes, would you think he were an honest and respectable person? Would you lose respect for him?

That's how I view it, and I just think it's pathetic. Just an attempt to give yourself a fake image.

Perhaps I should explain. Would I, Personally, lose respect for him? Yes. Yes I would. Would I run around the office telling everyone "OH MY GOD!!!! HE'S WEARING A FOAM BODY SUIT AND LYING TO PEOPLE!!!!" -- No. No I wouldn't. Why not? Because I'm not the one wearing the body suit or interested in seeing what said person really looked like.

If you play that game, then everyone woman who has fake breasts should be flamed too right? -- WOAH!!! Let's not take it so far, right?

Last edited by Celadrielas; 02-02-2015 at 11:26 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celadrielas For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (02-02-2015), Kuzuri (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #316
Bergen23
Banned

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I guess they figure that the need stops at the border
Wish I knew that the FRS had heated mirrors before buying aftermarket mirrors. Would have gotten ones that were heated. Oh well shouldn't be too hard to sell the ones I have at the moment.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #317
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Drives: Uphill
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,420 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I guess they figure that the need stops at the border.
Funny that, the need should be the same in Norway. We get heated folding mirrors as standard, but I had to convince the Toyota dealer that the OEM mud guards existed and I had to pay quite a lot for them, considering they're just molded plastic. (Don't ask how much, I'm not good with numbers)
Old 02-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #318
NemesisPrime909

Drives: 91 Toyota Supra 16 Nissan Versa
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
You know some of us old guys shouldn't say much if we were into mucle cars in the 70s!
Not mine (don't know if any pics even exist) but my 70 R/T looked just like this:

and one of my dream cars was this:

Sort of reverse stance and a big wing is a big wing no matter how you justify it.
Just as silly in hindsight!

but then again, the R/T was built like that to get the most traction, and while it wasn't a total success that wing was added to keep the the vehicle stable while racing in an oval.

my point is, while the cars do stand out, they were designed with function in mind.

My philosophy is "Function over form, however the function in an off itself can make for one hell of a form."
Tcoat (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #319
fang_gt86
FR Noob

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choco View Post

This is the ugliest FRS I've seen.
C'mon now at least give him/her some creds for using mostly Subie parts!

6MT FR-S Whiteout:OFT- OTS V2 Stage 2 (93oct & E85), Tomei UEL, Invidia OP, JDL UltraQuiet FP, Ark Grip catback, GS hood struts, Perrin Inlet & K&N drop-in
The Following User Says Thank You to fang_gt86 For This Useful Post:
Choco (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 04:23 PM   #320
ImBatman
My Tumbler is an FRS

Drives: exclusively in the fast lane
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
Instead of just telling someone their car sucks, you could say that "you think the car might work a little better if you did not do any of the stuff that you did to it in the first place"
^^^ How's that? ^^^ Is that better than just saying that they PERSONALLY think a certain 86 is ugly? Or should we give everyone trophies for buying a twin and making it their own, even if their work looks like a hot wheels car that's been stepped on too many times?

This is a PUBLIC forum for people to share ideas, opinions, tips and information. Not a circle jerk where we make everyone feel better by singing kumbaya and making smores (though I am down for some smores if anyone wants to organize an 86 camping trip )

Every person is entitled to make their car how THEY like it... once it is shared with the world via the internet, we are all entitled to have an opinion of it, good or bad, and we are all entitled to share that opinion on this public forum.

If you don't like it, don't read it. Or if you enjoy open debate, tell me why you don't agree with my opinion by expressing your own... But bashing someone for explaining why they don't like a certain mod, trend, style, etc. is hypocritical and is just an attempt to suppress free-thinking and open, constructive discussion.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:31 PM   #321
Choco
Embarrassed Doge

Drives: Shibaru BRZ
Thanked 1,674 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fang_gt86 View Post
C'mon now at least give him/her some creds for using mostly Subie parts!
I think the front is smexy though.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #322
Bergen23
Banned

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBatman View Post
^^^ How's that? ^^^ Is that better than just saying that they PERSONALLY think a certain 86 is ugly? Or should we give everyone trophies for buying a twin and making it their own, even if their work looks like a hot wheels car that's been stepped on too many times?

This is a PUBLIC forum for people to share ideas, opinions, tips and information. Not a circle jerk where we make everyone feel better by singing kumbaya and making smores (though I am down for some smores if anyone wants to organize an 86 camping trip )

Every person is entitled to make their car how THEY like it... once it is shared with the world via the internet, we are all entitled to have an opinion of it, good or bad, and we are all entitled to share that opinion on this public forum.

If you don't like it, don't read it. Or if you enjoy open debate, tell me why you don't agree with my opinion by expressing your own... But bashing someone for explaining why they don't like a certain mod, trend, style, etc. is hypocritical and is just an attempt to suppress free-thinking and open, constructive discussion.
Well, most people in this thread have simply stated "it looks stupid". Then when they give reasons, the wrong terminology is used. I'm all for an open debate, but with the way opinions have been expressed, some people need to get off their high horses.

For example, @636 car. I've said I love his car, but for me he's running a bit too much camber. That's a lot different than just saying "your car is dumb because camber". But, his car stands out quite a bit and I really, really like that about it.

Like it or not, "stance" is here to stay. And I have that in quotations because there could be infinite examples of stance. Stance, to me, is simply how a car sits. "Hellaflush" cars have stance, jacked up trucks have stance. The only thing I will hate on in the car community is someone doing something to their car which is definitely going to end up being unsafe for other motorists. Excessive tire stretch, cut springs, running bald tires, that kind of shit.

Personally, I like a wide range of car types. Lowriders, muscle cars, track beasts, trucks (all kinds for all applications). And I think that closing yourself off to one narrow view of cars is going to make you miss out on a lot of cool stuff that you may never have seen before.

And let's be honest here, negative camber WILL help with handling (not in extreme cases, such as oni) and a 0* camber angle will only really help in a straight line, which, time and time again on this site its been stated. "This car is not meant for a straight line"
The Following User Says Thank You to Bergen23 For This Useful Post:
Kuzuri (02-02-2015)

Closed Thread