follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
eddieEndo
Smokin on Dat Endo

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Greddy Evo3 Silencers On VS. Off

Hey all! I just purchased my Greddy Evo3 exhaust today and was wondering how many of you that have this car took the silencers off and what your opinion of the sound is with them on vs off? Thanks for the input
Old 06-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
tokiokun717

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieEndo View Post
Hey all! I just purchased my Greddy Evo3 exhaust today and was wondering how many of you that have this car took the silencers off and what your opinion of the sound is with them on vs off? Thanks for the input
I have them on right now because when I took them off I set alarms off in my parking lot where I live (underground parking lot resonates a ton)...

It all depends on your preference and tolerance to drone. The exhaust sounds much better without the silencers but the drone at highway speeds are pretty bad for the MT. Also, do you have any other mods on the exhaust? When I installed the nameless OP/DP combo with the resonator, the drone lessened and shifted to lower RPM ranges which made it much more bearable.

Ultimately, I would start by taking off the silencers when you install it and then see how you like it.
tokiokun717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
gatorbushmen
Amateur Drifter

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
i took out the silencers when i first got the Evo 3. Yeah, theres drone at highway speeds, but I love being reminded that I have a loud exhaust. Makes me feel like my money was well spent.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
eddieEndo
Smokin on Dat Endo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbushmen View Post
i took out the silencers when i first got the Evo 3. Yeah, theres drone at highway speeds, but I love being reminded that I have a loud exhaust. Makes me feel like my money was well spent.
exactly hahaha i love the sound of it right now with the silencers in but i tooootally get what youre saying! gonna get off work then take em out!
Old 06-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
Deepseadiver

Drives: 2013 BRZ DMG manual Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I like them off! The drone is not that bad and I only have a 25 minute drive to work. On a long road trip I might put them back in, living in Hawaii I don't think that will happen.
Deepseadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
You're defeating the purpose of the Evo 3 system if you're going to keep silencers on it, IMHO.

That said, if you have the manual transmission, expect drone at highway cruising speed. Aside from that, I absolutely loved that system. Unfortunately, I'm very sensitive to harmonic resonance like that so I had to swap it out.

The drone existed with or without the silencers, but it was really bad without.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
eddieEndo
Smokin on Dat Endo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
You're defeating the purpose of the Evo 3 system if you're going to keep silencers on it, IMHO.

That said, if you have the manual transmission, expect drone at highway cruising speed. Aside from that, I absolutely loved that system. Unfortunately, I'm very sensitive to harmonic resonance like that so I had to swap it out.

The drone existed with or without the silencers, but it was really bad without.
omg i want to remove them so bad!!! i shouldve installed them with them out haha between my exhaust being too damn hot and the top bolt being a nightmare to reach i didnt get to take them out last night lol
Old 06-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
eddieEndo
Smokin on Dat Endo

ps thanks for all the very helpful inputs guys
Old 06-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #9
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Track days, take silencers out, go home, put them back on. I can tolerate the drone, but my kids in the back probably cant. UEL header would sound badass with this exhaust IMO
Old 06-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMaster View Post
Track days, take silencers out, go home, put them back on. I can tolerate the drone, but my kids in the back probably cant. UEL header would sound badass with this exhaust IMO
My daughter who sat in the back threw up every time we went on a long highway drive. That was really the breaking point for me.

UEL + Evo3 definitely sounds badass.

For anyone looking for an alternative option, I hear the Perrin 3" system is drone free. Not sure how the sound compares to the Evo3 2.75" but I suspect it compares well if not better.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
Apollo_1092
Flyboy

Drives: Series 10 FR-S MT (Ordered)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had them in for about a month and then took them out. I haven't put them back in since. For me the drone isn't terrible. When I first took them out I thought I was going deaf. It's just something you get used to over time. The only thing that bothers me is that the car rattles while you're accelerating. But if you keep it under 3000 you really don't hear a lot. I've set off car alarms which can be entertaining. The other nice thing is even with the silencers off, the car doesn't have that high pitch exhaust sound (clarification: The car doesn't have that sound with them in either). It has more of a deep rumble. I can't wait to install my UEL Headers when I get another FR-S.

Whiteout FR-S: Totaled due to hail damage
Nobis Non Licet Mediocribus

Last edited by Apollo_1092; 06-09-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Clarification
Apollo_1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #12
eddieEndo
Smokin on Dat Endo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo_1092 View Post
I had them in for about a month and then took them out. I haven't put them back in since. For me the drone isn't terrible. When I first took them out I thought I was going deaf. It's just something you get used to over time. The only thing that bothers me is that the car rattles while you're accelerating. But if you keep it under 3000 you really don't hear a lot. I've set off car alarms which can be entertaining. The other nice thing is even with the silencers off, the car doesn't have that high pitch exhaust sound (clarification: The car doesn't have that sound with them in either). It has more of a deep rumble. I can't wait to install my UEL Headers when I get another FR-S.
taking them off right now sooooo excited
Old 06-10-2013, 02:07 AM   #13
eddieEndo
Smokin on Dat Endo

I finally got the silencers out!! Had to dremel two of the bolts off but THEYRE OFF!!

Silencers off review: LOUD!!!!! The interior drone doesn't bother me if you know the sweet spots of where the drone doesn't occur!! Definitely gives the car some BALLS!! and brings some of that familiar boxer rumble out!! VERY HAPPY and i think it's safe to say the silencers will not be going on ever again
Old 06-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
Spartan65
USMC Veteran Semper Fi

Drives: 2010 WR Blue STi
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I have the Evo 3 Exhaust with a Motiv Concepts Overpipe and Test pipe, It's so loud the other day me and my son went to Sonic and they told me I had to turn the car off to take my order.