follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 09-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Ae86

Drives: scion tc
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
RX-9 Rotary Rumor Mill Churning Again

There is news out of Japan regarding the RX-9. Whether fact or speculation, a few sources have now said that Mazda is working with Toyota hybrid technology. Whether the RX-9 will be the worlds first Rotary Hybrid sports car or not is remain to be scene, but it does appear that Mazda will enter into the Hybrid market very soon.
It’s an interesting notion that Mazda may deploy a battery cell system paired with the wankel rotary engine, for a few reasons. One being that the rotary engine has long suffered from poor fuel economy, despite it’s small displacement (typically 1.3 liters). Another interesting benefit is that electric motors provide low end power, which would benefit the infamously low torque found in the RX-8′s Renesis engine. There is, however, a major downside to deploying a hybrid battery system in the RX-9, and that is weight. A rotary sports car’s worst enemy is weight, and unevenly distributed weight would be a showstopper. If Mazda is able to properly balance the added weight from the battery systems, it is possible with other weight saving techniques, they could keep the sports car to a weight of around 3400 lbs (500 of which would be battery cells), which would not be the end of the world but would require the new engine to output over 300hp to be considered a proper sports car in this day and age.
Picture below is another concept that seems to be inline with some of Mazda’s latest prototypes, which typically foreshadow their sports car lineup pretty well:
Ae86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ae86 For This Useful Post:
quik1987 (09-04-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
kendalldwhite

Drives: Mint-Tiffany blue FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
The body style look way different then any mazda Iv seen. this Is the first pics Iv say of the rx9 also
kendalldwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Ae86

Mazda is plotting a gasoline range-extended electric car and, as usual, is choosing to take its own path in the development, relying on engine technology exclusive to the brand.

According to company boss Takashi Yamanouchi, the Japanese automaker is committed to the rotary engine. And while a next-gen rotary sports car isn’t out of the question, for now Mazda will focus on using the technology in a plug-in hybrid.
Speaking at the Moscow Motor Show this week, Yamanouchi commented that roatry engines are at their most efficient at low rpm and under constant load. That said, it’s ideal for use in range-extended engine – similar to what is found in the Chevrolet Volt. The system would work by having the rotary engine charge batteries that would then be used to move the car via an electric motor. With the electric capacity already on-board, it’s all but certain to also have a plug-in component.
Mazda has been on a product and technology offensive as of late, launching its SkyActiv models, including the 2012 Mazda3, CX-5 and most recently the 2014 Mazda6. With a next-gen Miata in the works, the new plug-in rotary vehicle will arrive first, debuting next year. It’s not clear if the car will be based on an existing model or be an all-new model, though Mazda has confirmed it will initially only be available to lease in Japan.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
whateatsrabbits

Drives: 2013"Road scalpel"FR-S MT
That thing looks sexy, kinda reminds me of the mazda furai. but hybrid=fail
The 86 is a precision car, it does not compensate for driver error, on the road or on the track. This is the kind of car thats created to be the surgeons scalpal of the mass-consumer car world, not a drag car.
whateatsrabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Ae86

YES yes it does
Old 09-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Travis

Drives: FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hybrid sports cars do not interest me in the least
Old 09-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Sorry to say this but Mazda is my last choice of Japanese brands in North America. Nothing they do interests me in the least. Rotary engines are a novelty item IMHO. And the lack balls for the most part.

Do they have any factories in Canada/US? If so then at least I could say they help create decent paying jobs here.

Mazda philosophy of doing business here=fail.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
S2kphile
Resident HoneyBadger

Drives: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
First off, wrong section to post this. Should be post in the "Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions" but I'll let that slide since your a newbie.

Secondly, I find Mazda vehicles very fun to drive ie Miata/RX-7 and also their Mazdaspeed variants. I can't wait to see what Mazda comes up with their next iteration of the RX line. I think a rotary hybrid would make sense as long as they develop a chassis that is balanced & fun to drive like their previous generation.

Walk like a King, Be like a Sir, Swag it out like a Boss
S2kphile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S2kphile For This Useful Post:
Snoopyalien24 (09-02-2012), whateatsrabbits (09-01-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
midenginebias

Drives: 2001 Mr2 Spyder
It's sad that there is such a poor view of Mazda, considering they actually have the sportiest lineup of all "generic" cars.

If anything, they're even smarter by deploying their Skyactiv philosophy; reduce weight, increase area, increase gas mileage, increase power, utilize diesel, no hybrid.

Having driven the entire modern line, I think they get a bad rap.

The Mazda5 drives like a bigger Mazda3, still fun to drive and doesn't scream minivan.

The Mazda6 is along the lines of a Suzuki Kizashi (also underrated), and is more fun to drive than a Camry and on par with a modern Accord.

The Mazda3 and Mazdaspeed3 are the closest to having a mild/hot hatch outside of a GTI, Cooper S on this side of the states.

Mazda2 is like driving a TRD Yaris; better designed, better suspension.

CX-5 is the "sporty" SUV next to a Rav4/CRV.

Mazda should just find a way to more efficiently utilize hydrogen into their rotary engines.

Owned N/A '93 Mr2, N/A '91 Mr2, '98 Corolla, Mazdaspeed Mx-5, '07 Legacy Wagon, E90 328i well maintained and lit up on fire while driving on the freeway in traffic.
midenginebias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to midenginebias For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (09-06-2012), Boxer-86 (09-03-2012), JimmyMac (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
1st: Wrong thread but our awesome Mods will move it soon

2nd: I hope they do what Toyota did and keep lots of its concept's aspects in the final design off for production.

3rd: 300hp with 2800-3000lbs FR coupe and a <50in height shouldn't be too hard right?
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
pr0j

Drives: 2010 Forester X
I guess it depends on how the hybridness, hybridity? is deployed, and with what purpose in mind.
pr0j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
They need to take the "gay" out of Miata.