follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-25-2014, 01:44 AM   #1
anewprelusion

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Q300 vs Tanabe Touring Medallion

Current performance mods are OFH + OFT + Drop in Air Filter. So far it sounds fine with stock FP and stock catback. But now I'm looking for a catback that has a deeper and more mature sound, without being too loud. The uncatted header doesn't leave many choices on the table.

I know 99% of you would automatically suggest "Q300 Duh!" Believe me, it's the current front-runner as far as my choices go.

My cousin who works in the automotive industry, and has so far supplied me with most of my car parts has suggested the Tanabe Touring Medallion. It's about $350-400 more than the Q300 depending on TI tip or SS Tip. Is the quality of the Tanabe so far off to warrant the price difference? I don't mind paying extra for quality, but the quality needs to warrant the price, and I am well aware of diminishing returns as you go up in price (less bang for the buck). But hey, what do I know? I went with Weds instead of Rota's, Buddy Club instead of SPC, and Project Kics instead of (name cheaper brand) lugs.

There are a plethora of video samples of the Q300, but very few of the Tanabe (particularly with UEL uncatted header). What do you all think?
anewprelusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:06 AM   #2
FRS_FIEND
Whats next?

Drives: '13 Asphalt FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Man honestly Q300 the quality is awesome. Sound is great on throttle, and as quiet as stock when cruising. and for the money its perfect. the BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK is definitely lost on the tanabe. Youre not going to get any more or less noticable power from it to warrant the 350+ dollars, unless its what you want and not worried about money, I say go for it. Really most catbacks on our low hp N/A frs dont give much power anyway, so really all it comes down to is what sound you want what look you want.

Heres a video I have uel headers, overpipe, resonated front pipe and q300. I wish i had more videos of fly bys and such but Im deployed right now when i get back i plan to make more.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60840
FRS_FIEND is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRS_FIEND For This Useful Post:
anewprelusion (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 03:07 AM   #3
FRS_FIEND
Whats next?

Drives: '13 Asphalt FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
get the Tanabe and make some vids! lol.
FRS_FIEND is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRS_FIEND For This Useful Post:
anewprelusion (06-25-2014), jumbaco (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
jumbaco

Drives: FD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tanabe has been around for over 30 years and is actually made in Japan if that matters to you. Fit and finish is top notch, I saw get it and make a video of your own.
jumbaco is offline   Reply With Quote