follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-06-2021, 12:28 PM   #1
golemslord

Drives: 2014 White FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Increasing Rake

Hi,

I currently have Tein flex Z on 18x9.5+35 wheels with 245/35 tires

Front is maxed out low around maybe half a finger gap (cannot fit one finger) from fender
Rear is at around 2 finger gap from fender

(I do have thin fingers for reference lollllll)

Will this cause too much over steer or negatively affect balance? and is this amount of rake too much?

Planning to go with around -2 camber front and -1.5 rear

Reason being for this setup is that the rear coils are seized.. rip

(I do like the look of little rake though)
golemslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:54 PM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
It isn't going to make that much of a difference, I ran that much rake before just messing around and it loosened up the rear of the car a bit, but it was manageable. I do not recommend running Flex Z's that low unless you are going for that slammed look specifically. They get really unsettled when they are on the bumpstops. I found my car was quicker on track when I ran it at a slightly higher ride height when I had Flex Z's as it was more forgiving to drive.
golemslord (05-06-2021), Pat (05-07-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 04:52 PM   #3
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You really want to measure from hub to top of the fender arch and compare that to the oem reference numbers to really get accurate ride height. Finger gaps aren't very accurate or comparable.

I'm pretty sure oem rake is somewhere around 1/2 an inch higher in the rear, I would try to not stray to far from this if you want to keep stock like balance.

Best way is to corner balance the car.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:00 PM   #4
marco_mc22

Drives: Toyota 86
With that ride height on those coils oversteer is the latest of your problems..
marco_mc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:08 PM   #5
golemslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_mc22 View Post
With that ride height on those coils oversteer is the latest of your problems..

In other words I shouldn't even worry about it right
Old 05-06-2021, 11:59 PM   #6
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Right. Ones that prioritize slamming above everything and are willing to sacrifice everything for that, including denying suspension any ability to do it's job, shouldn't worry about handling. Car handles badly? Drive is uncomfortable? You got your slamming down, it was your goal, live with that. Ones that got coilovers for their function, don't do overlowering past recommended ranges, don't slam car for it to rest on bumpstops and require various extra suspension mods eg. diff riser and roll center adjustment mods.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #7
golemslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Right. Ones that prioritize slamming above everything and are willing to sacrifice everything for that, including denying suspension any ability to do it's job, shouldn't worry about handling. Car handles badly? Drive is uncomfortable? You got your slamming down, it was your goal, live with that. Ones that got coilovers for their function, don't do overlowering past recommended ranges, don't slam car for it to rest on bumpstops and require various extra suspension mods eg. diff riser and roll center adjustment mods.

I get what you mean but my car isn't slammed at all, I had TRD springs for like 3 years and recently got the coils. Although the front is maxed, it's not that low (wheels not tucked or anything). Rears are basically TRD height

If anything I feel it drives better than the TRD springs
Old 05-07-2021, 01:21 PM   #8
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Not overslammed in my book for these cars would be within inch of stock height. Handling is not measured in finger gaps. There most probably was mentioned in manual of coilovers, what advised range would be. NoHaveMSG rightely advised, that coilovers overlowered till resting on bumpstops is hardly best choice for suspension actually do it's job. That, in addition of suspension geometry issues appearing once one lowers past 20-30mm and increased wear of rear axles CV joints.
Twins are not that high and their suspension travel is not that long to begin with. What seemed "not a lot" of lowering for old cars with 2-3x times suspension travel and double the stock ground clearance, is often way too much for these. Of course, owner is free to do whatever he wants from his car according to priorities, but better if one knows what is sacrificed by that and if price of reduced function paid for form is worth it.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-07-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 02:24 PM   #9
golemslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Not overslammed in my book for these cars would be within inch of stock height. Handling is not measured in finger gaps. There most probably was mentioned in manual of coilovers, what advised range would be. NoHaveMSG rightely advised, that coilovers overlowered till resting on bumpstops is hardly best choice for suspension actually do it's job. That, in addition of suspension geometry issues appearing once one lowers past 20-30mm and increased wear of rear axles CV joints.
Twins are not that high and their suspension travel is not that long to begin with. What seemed "not a lot" of lowering for old cars with 2-3x times suspension travel and double the stock ground clearance, is often way too much for these. Of course, owner is free to do whatever he wants from his car according to priorities, but better if one knows what is sacrificed by that and if price of reduced function paid for form is worth it.

Yeah that's a good point. I ran TRD for 3 years and just thought the front was too high with the gap..ill monitor to see if any issues for the front and can raise it up if anything

Surprisingly my CV axle is starting to leak/click and it is before I installed coil overs. I guess it's normal wear and tear from 6 year ownership