follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2021, 02:58 PM   #1
Rocketman

Drives: 2013 Blue FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Broken suspension bolt

So, I previously asked for help with a handling problem on my FR-S.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...57#post3382157

I have attached pictures from my mechanic showing a broken bolt from a Whiteline camber adjustment kit. I was concerned the problem might be to subtle for him to diagnose. Guess not.

Comments?
Attached Images

Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:10 PM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
WTH are you trying to show.

The first picture is a transmission mount.
The second picture is the trailing arm.

Picture 3 does show the rear LCA which is the only camber adjustable part for the rear of the car WL sells and it looks fine, in fact it looks stock.

Pictures 4 and 5 look like the upper control arm bolts to the subframe which are broken. WL does not make a camber bolt for this. I would be questioning this mechanic, and what he installed. Those broken bolts do not look like any camber bolt I have ever seen.

EDIT: Ahhh, I see now. It is this part.
https://whitelineperformance.com/pro...26-bushing-kit

I would contact whiteline and send them pictures to see what they say. I have a feeling they are going to ask, "what were they torqued at?" It is what I would ask.

Last edited by NoHaveMSG; 03-25-2021 at 03:28 PM.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 04:37 PM   #3
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The broken bolt on the upper arm in the back answers the question on why you thought you had “torque Steer”. Now replace it and it is fixed. Any other questions?
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:33 PM   #4
Rocketman

Drives: 2013 Blue FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, glad you could edit it before I saw it. I just attached what the mech sent to me, and tried to explain it to me, but I don't know much. He recognized it as a Whiteline product (!) and he is pretty smart. He says he had to get a used mounting part (again, not sure what i am talking about) that was damaged (elongated hole) by the movement of the part that was unrestrained by the broken bolt. And he is waiting on Whiteline to get a replacement part. I don't know if he is talking to them about the failed part. I just said, "Fix it, Jorge."
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:09 PM   #5
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Thanks, glad you could edit it before I saw it. I just attached what the mech sent to me, and tried to explain it to me, but I don't know much. He recognized it as a Whiteline product (!) and he is pretty smart. He says he had to get a used mounting part (again, not sure what i am talking about) that was damaged (elongated hole) by the movement of the part that was unrestrained by the broken bolt. And he is waiting on Whiteline to get a replacement part. I don't know if he is talking to them about the failed part. I just said, "Fix it, Jorge."
In the installation instructions they say to check the torque after 100km. Looking at the 4th picture and how it elongated the hole, it looks like it backed out and the movement broke it off. I'd make sure to retorque it after some driving to prevent this.

Tags
handlnig problem, suspension failure