follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

View Poll Results: How would you rate the design of the 2nd gen? 1 lowest & 5 highest
1 19 7.20%
2 25 9.47%
3 62 23.48%
4 104 39.39%
5 54 20.45%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2021, 08:27 PM   #1919
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Or plugged in, laying in the seat, and plugged in with the phone laying on the seat so the charging end is in the air. I do that all the time, no chimes.
Yep
Old 05-10-2021, 08:33 PM   #1920
Transport3r

Drives: -
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It will probably be exactly the same. It isn't a weight thing since it is an induction field that detects moisture (your butt). You could put 200 pounds of dry bricks on there and not trigger it or half a brick that is moist that will. Since it is an electrical field it will also be triggered by some devices especially if they are plugged in. Try it with your cell phone. Not plugged in then nothing. Plugged in it thinks you have a passenger.

What? Those aren’t resistive pads sensitive to strain anymore? They’re capacitive now? Damn I am getting old.
Transport3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:36 PM   #1921
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transport3r View Post
What? Those aren’t resistive pads sensitive to strain anymore? They’re capacitive now? Damn I am getting old.
Yep. Takes away the whole have to weigh enough to trigger it thing.
Transport3r (05-10-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 12:03 AM   #1922
dpfarr

Drives: BRZ ts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
It will probably be exactly the same. It isn't a weight thing since it is an induction field that detects moisture (your butt). You could put 200 pounds of dry bricks on there and not trigger it or half a brick that is moist that will. Since it is an electrical field it will also be triggered by some devices especially if they are plugged in. Try it with your cell phone. Not plugged in then nothing. Plugged in it thinks you have a passenger.
False. My phone plugged in or not doesn’t set it off. A moist steamy burrito in tinfoil does not set it off. My bag with paper work does. My basset hound does.
dpfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:18 AM   #1923
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
moist. lol.
HachiRokuX (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 05:49 AM   #1924
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfarr View Post
False. My phone plugged in or not doesn’t set it off. A moist steamy burrito in tinfoil does not set it off. My bag with paper work does. My basset hound does.
Well you are the exception to the rule that applies to everybody else.
I am not saying a theory or opinion it is a documented fact.
Dadhawk (05-11-2021), Wally86 (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 07:31 AM   #1925
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
All my electronic stuff especially the phone causes mine to go off.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SUB-FT86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 07:38 AM   #1926
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
All my electronic stuff especially the phone causes mine to go off.
All depends on where you put them and what they are doing (on, off, charging, etc) really.

This topic is not up for dispute.

From an old thread:

To: Service Managers, Service Advisors
From: Subaru of America, Inc., Fixed Operations Training and Recognition Department
Date: August 1, 2012

Subj: Important information regarding the Occupant Detection System (ODS) on
Impreza and BRZ
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, require the use of an Occupant Detection System (ODS). This
system is designed to determine if a person is seated in the
front passenger seat
, and more importantly, if
the person is of adequate size to be protected in the event of the deployment of the front passenger seat
airbag (SRS) in a moderate to severe frontal collision.
Most Occupant Detection Systems measure the weight of the front seat passenger, to determine if the
front passenger seat airbag should deploy.
All 2012 and 2013 Impreza and 2013 BRZ models use a new type of Occupant Detection System called
Electrostatic Capacitance Sensor ODS. This system does not use weight to determine whether to turn the
Occupant Detection System ON and OFF.
It is important that you understand the operation of this system
so that you can explain its operation and precautions to your customers.
Electrostatic Capacitance Sensor ODS uses electrostatic capacitance to determine passenger airbag
status. Electrostatic capacitance represents a material’s capability of storing an electrical charge. Have
you ever been shocked when walking across a carpeted floor and touching a door knob? This
demonstrates your ability to store an electrical charge in your body.
When anyone is seated or when anything is placed on the front passenger seat, there is a change to that
capacitance value. This change in capacitance value is what the Electrostatic Capacitance Sensor ODS
uses to determine whether the front passenger seat airbag (SRS) will be ON or OFF.
Everything that is placed on the seat has the potential to affect a change in capacitance value. The
system can determine whether to change the OFF status of an airbag to ON depending on what is on the
passenger seat, which in turn causes a change in capacitance value.
Some examples:
 A proper sized passenger will change the OFF status of an airbag to ON
 Plastic, metals and other substances, even if at a heavy weight, will not change the OFF status of an
airbag
 A false electrical charge, for example, those caused by laptops that are processing data, cellphones
that are on or even an electric device connected to a car charger can cause the airbag status to
switch to ON
 When water or anything with high moisture content is spilled on the front passenger seat cushion, the
airbag is designed to remain OFF until the seat cushion is dry. This will also be the case if the
passenger has moisture on their clothing, such as rain-soaked pants or raingear. In each of these
situations, the airbag status may remain OFF even if a passenger is seated.
Subject information for customers:
 “The Electrostatic Capacitance Sensor ODS on 2012 and 2013 Impreza and 2013 BRZ models uses
an electric charge to determine what is on the front passenger seat. (To assure the customer that
they will not get shocked, use the static electricity and touching the door knob example)
 Advise the passenger not to sit in the front passenger seat if the seat cushion is wet or if their clothing
is wet.
 The best way to ensure proper operation is to keep everything off the front passenger seat except a
passenger
 For more detailed information, stress to your customer the importance of reading and understanding
the Owner Manual
By reading the Owner Manual, your understanding of how this system functions directly affects how
confidently you will be able to discuss this ODS system to your customers. For more detailed information
on this and other types of Occupant Detection systems used in other model year Subaru vehicles, please
click on this link to register and attend a web based technical overview: technician training video.
*Passengers seated in the front of the vehicle must meet all State and Federal regulations according to
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 208. Never install a child seat or booster seat in the front of the
vehicle. See Owner Manual for more detail.
Cc: DPSMs, RSOM
Dadhawk (05-11-2021), Dake (05-11-2021), fitcious (05-11-2021), HachiRokuX (05-11-2021), SUB-FT86 (05-11-2021), Wally86 (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 08:14 AM   #1927
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfarr View Post
...My basset hound does.
Well, yea, he would set off a Capacitance system. That is sort of what the system was designed to do, detect someone's big old wrinkly ass....

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 05-11-2021 at 08:49 AM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Dake (05-11-2021), dpfarr (05-11-2021), soundman98 (05-11-2021), Tcoat (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 12:47 PM   #1928
dpfarr

Drives: BRZ ts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well, yea, he would set off a Capacitance system. That is sort of what the system was designed to do, detect someone's big old wrinkly ass....
The nerve sir!
dpfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpfarr For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 12:48 PM   #1929
TheDonEffect

Drives: A mix
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
They planned what to make and they sold what they made. They said outright that that was all they ever wanted with this car.
As you stated they knew what they were doing when they went into it. They are not new to this and all the armchair CEOs can sit back and make unfounded claims all they want it does not change the fact that as it is the car was a success.

Well, I think you're tailoring my point here a bit. Did they sell every last one they produced? Yes. Does that make it a success? Not completely. Every manufacturer these days will sell all of their stock, and provided that it's at least a competent product produced at a realistic rate they shouldn't have to put it on a fire sale.

So where you and I differ is how success is measured, you say selling every last one they produced, I disagree with that, especially when both cars combined don't exactly beat the Miata, which is especially astounding since the twins have a more broad market appeal (back seats, larger trunk, and especially compared to the RF cheaper all while being almost Civic/Corolla like economically).

Quote:
The difference is how they are sold, and how quickly. For the 86, they have had to spend little on advertising, and very few promotional incentives. Most are sold within spitting distance of MSRP (I'm sure there are exceptions which will come out of the woodwork now in an attempt to prove me wrong).

At the end of the model year there haven't been stockpiles of them just waiting to sell.

That all lends itself to them having read the market right.

Well, most sporty cars in general are that way. When was the last time you seen a 911 commercial, or a miata commercial? I do remember a cringe worthy 86 commercial...

Hate to break it to you, but alot of people got discounts on their cars. My buddy was able to get his 14 BRZ WRB in 2014 in the spring for below invoice, in the bay area, with only a few emails. His deal was not unique. I mean of course there are a ton more people who probably paid 500 below msrp and thought they got a screaming deal, there are a good amount of people for instance who paid ADM on a Supra too. What ended up happening more recently was supply was choked off, but last I checked there were still a decent amount of 2020s left on lots.

Yes, they read the market right, these cars don't sell all that well, so make less. Hyundai didn't read the market right with the Telluride, because they're scrambling to make more of them, does that then make the Telluride a failure?
TheDonEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheDonEffect For This Useful Post:
DarkSideFRS (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 01:07 PM   #1930
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect View Post
Well, I think you're tailoring my point here a bit. Did they sell every last one they produced? Yes. Does that make it a success? Not completely. Every manufacturer these days will sell all of their stock, and provided that it's at least a competent product produced at a realistic rate they shouldn't have to put it on a fire sale.

So where you and I differ is how success is measured, you say selling every last one they produced, I disagree with that, especially when both cars combined don't exactly beat the Miata, which is especially astounding since the twins have a more broad market appeal (back seats, larger trunk, and especially compared to the RF cheaper all while being almost Civic/Corolla like economically).

Well, most sporty cars in general are that way. When was the last time you seen a 911 commercial, or a miata commercial? I do remember a cringe worthy 86 commercial...

Hate to break it to you, but alot of people got discounts on their cars. My buddy was able to get his 14 BRZ WRB in 2014 in the spring for below invoice, in the bay area, with only a few emails. His deal was not unique. I mean of course there are a ton more people who probably paid 500 below msrp and thought they got a screaming deal, there are a good amount of people for instance who paid ADM on a Supra too. What ended up happening more recently was supply was choked off, but last I checked there were still a decent amount of 2020s left on lots.

Yes, they read the market right, these cars don't sell all that well, so make less. Hyundai didn't read the market right with the Telluride, because they're scrambling to make more of them, does that then make the Telluride a failure?
You are still trying to say they should have sold more. We have no idea if they wanted to sell more but the very fact that there IS a second gen is a very good indicator they were happy with what they sold. They said from the start that this would not be a high volume car and they didn't care.

You best check the supply again. In most regions you can't buy one new without some serious travel involved.

Also note that all sports car sales are dropping across the board for the last 5 years. That includes the Mustang and Miata.
Dadhawk (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 01:28 PM   #1931
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk
Most are sold within spitting distance of MSRP (I'm sure there are exceptions which will come out of the woodwork now in an attempt to prove me wrong).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect View Post
Hate to break it to you, but alot of people got discounts on their cars.
Called it, who had the over/under on this?

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-12-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 01:31 PM   #1932
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
You best check the supply again. In most regions you can't buy one new without some serious travel involved.
Per Toyota's inventory search on their website there are zero available in Atlanta. Unfortunately, it won't let me search nationwide.