follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2020, 02:41 AM   #15
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach415 View Post
There is a gap between the center piece to the bumper to allow the side pieces to snap in. I have the whole thing disassembled in my room right now as I am lazy to put it back on the car.
Would you think it'd look weird with the grill piece on its own? is the gap something that could just be filled in, and then cut off those little tabs on the sides I can see in the diagram where the screws go?

a picture of it disassembled would be great because I don't know that i've seen anyone post it before it was attached
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:30 AM   #16
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
Would you think it'd look weird with the grill piece on its own? is the gap something that could just be filled in, and then cut off those little tabs on the sides I can see in the diagram where the screws go?

a picture of it disassembled would be great because I don't know that i've seen anyone post it before it was attached
Honestly, it's not worth modifying the middle section. You would have to chop it into two pieces (the bottom side of it extends past the bottom of the bumper by ~1-2 inches) and filling the huge gap on both sides will be a pain. The tabs are for the OEM bumper mounting points minus the two tabs for the side pieces (which is inside and does not stick out).

If I have time, I can try grab some pictures for you.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bach415 For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (07-18-2021)
Old 08-14-2020, 09:07 AM   #17
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach415 View Post
Honestly, it's not worth modifying the middle section. You would have to chop it into two pieces (the bottom side of it extends past the bottom of the bumper by ~1-2 inches) and filling the huge gap on both sides will be a pain. The tabs are for the OEM bumper mounting points minus the two tabs for the side pieces (which is inside and does not stick out).

If I have time, I can try grab some pictures for you.
I feel like that could still work for me, I have a font splitter attached that has a little gap in the area the grille piece would go between the splitter and the bottom of the front bumper. Potential that the grill piece could fill that gap.

Seriously don't know why I like that grille piece so much, just haven't seen any other front bumper or lip that looks as nice as the aero does- think it might be the way it makes that front portion of the car stick out a little, making it more aggressive over stock. Only got the splitter I currently have because it came with splitter rods I could position in the same spot as where the aero grille piece sticks out which you can see here

Last edited by Sam86; 08-14-2020 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:02 PM   #18
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
I feel like that could still work for me, I have a font splitter attached that has a little gap in the area the grille piece would go between the splitter and the bottom of the front bumper. Potential that the grill piece could fill that gap.

Seriously don't know why I like that grille piece so much, just haven't seen any other front bumper or lip that looks as nice as the aero does- think it might be the way it makes that front portion of the car stick out a little, making it more aggressive over stock. Only got the splitter I currently have because it came with splitter rods I could position in the same spot as where the aero grille piece sticks out which you can see here

Not to burst your bubble but it will not work. The gap that you see is due to the design of the bumper, not because the splitter isn't sitting flush with the bottom side of the bumper. Again, the middle section will extend the bottom side of the bumper another 1-2 inches, which means now your sides of the bumper/the splitter will not sit flush. To make it work, you are cutting apart the section of the lip responsible for it to be held in properly.

I just remembered an example from my buddy's car who has the nur spec lip until an accident happened. The last two pictures will show you how much gap I am talking about for the middle section not to work properly with a splitter unless you have the full setup or willing to completely chop it up and make it from ground up.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuR5zEIH...vqvJektBZt2I0/
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:18 AM   #19
Sam86

Still desire this bumper and have made a dumb financial decision that I’ll update everyone on the result of who may also be unrealistically interested in this bumper.

I couldn’t find anyone willing to sell me one so I have purchased a replica bumper, and also ordered the OEM ‘front grille surround’ from the local Toyota dealership. I’m putting a lot of hope in the replica being close enough that the OEM aero piece will somehow fit, or at least I can make it work with little effort.
The tiny, non-painted grille surround costs more than the whole replica bumper lip itself hence the poor financial decision.

Was honestly surprised they still had factory aero/ ‘nur spec’ parts available. I enquired when I originally made this post and had no response from the dealer
Old 06-25-2021, 06:54 AM   #20
Thefalls

Drives: Corolla GT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Eh,I just saw a replica at a friends shop a few days ago.
Thefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:08 AM   #21
KMA KiCKz
Certified Wumbologist

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefalls View Post
Eh,I just saw a replica at a friends shop a few days ago.
I've also seen a replica but it was missing the black vertical pieces in the middle that attach to the grill.
It also had some bumps in the middle that almost look like a vortex generator.
It doesn't look too off but you can definitely tell it is a rep.

TRD | Brembo | RAYS
KMA KiCKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:19 PM   #22
Thefalls

Drives: Corolla GT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA KiCKz View Post
I've also seen a replica but it was missing the black vertical pieces in the middle that attach to the grill.
I think we have seen the same thing.

You described it to the point.
Thefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thefalls For This Useful Post:
KMA KiCKz (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 08:02 PM   #23
Sam86

Quote:
Yep, just arrived today. Will be placing my order from Toyota for the ‘black vertical pieces’ today.
Don’t like the vortex bumps and don’t know why the replica has them but they won’t be noticeable since it’ll be painted black. Hope the vertical piece fits, looking at photos of the real bumper I should only have to trim off some tabs at the bottom.
Edit- just found out the grill piece actually has a painted part across the bottom which i had no idea about, thought it just sat over the existing bumper bar. Looks like I’ll definitely have to modify the replica bumper and cut off that bar with the vortex so it may actually look completely OEM if I do a good job of it.

I’ll post another picture once I get it painted and successfully fit the OEM grille piece

Last edited by Sam86; 06-26-2021 at 02:06 AM.
Old 06-26-2021, 01:26 PM   #24
KMA KiCKz
Certified Wumbologist

Quote:
Yep, just arrived today. Will be placing my order from Toyota for the ‘black vertical pieces’ today.
Don’t like the vortex bumps and don’t know why the replica has them but they won’t be noticeable since it’ll be painted black. Hope the vertical piece fits, looking at photos of the real bumper I should only have to trim off some tabs at the bottom.
Edit- just found out the grill piece actually has a painted part across the bottom which i had no idea about, thought it just sat over the existing bumper bar. Looks like I’ll definitely have to modify the replica bumper and cut off that bar with the vortex so it may actually look completely OEM if I do a good job of it.

I’ll post another picture once I get it painted and successfully fit the OEM grille piece
Hope the your lip works out

I was lucky enough to find the whole front lip brand new last year but it seems like it might have been the very last one?
Other's have reached out to the shop I got mine from but they were told they aren't made any more.
You may want to check NigelJDM. It wouldn't hurt to contact them in regards to possibly getting one.
Just be prepared that international shipping will be a lot, especially it coming straight from Japan.

The front lip is a 3 piece lip.
You may have to do some heavy modifications in order to fit the middle piece to the rep.
I have a few more photos on my build page(shameless plug).

TRD | Brembo | RAYS
Old 06-26-2021, 08:02 PM   #25
Sam86

Quote:
Hope the your lip works out

I was lucky enough to find the whole front lip brand new last year but it seems like it might have been the very last one?
Other's have reached out to the shop I got mine from but they were told they aren't made any more.
You may want to check NigelJDM. It wouldn't hurt to contact them in regards to possibly getting one.
Just be prepared that international shipping will be a lot, especially it coming straight from Japan.

The front lip is a 3 piece lip.
You may have to do some heavy modifications in order to fit the middle piece to the rep.
I have a few more photos on my build page(shameless plug).
Thanks for those photos,
Very hard to find images of the aero lip disassembled. I remember someone else posting it here but couldn’t find it.
I think I may just cut the replica bumper into 2 seperate parts like the OEM bumper and then attach the middle piece directly to the car with bolts and glue sealant.

I’ve checked out NigelJDM in the past but I wasn’t sure whether they were OEM or not, and even if they were they didn’t have black available and the shipping price was way too high.

I’ve been searching local Facebook groups and marketplace for the past year for a OEM bumper and only ever came close to getting my hands on one once but the guy was too lazy to ship
Old 06-27-2021, 02:22 AM   #26
KMA KiCKz
Certified Wumbologist

Quote:
Thanks for those photos,
Very hard to find images of the aero lip disassembled. I remember someone else posting it here but couldn’t find it.
I think I may just cut the replica bumper into 2 seperate parts like the OEM bumper and then attach the middle piece directly to the car with bolts and glue sealant.

I’ve checked out NigelJDM in the past but I wasn’t sure whether they were OEM or not, and even if they were they didn’t have black available and the shipping price was way too high.

I’ve been searching local Facebook groups and marketplace for the past year for a OEM bumper and only ever came close to getting my hands on one once but the guy was too lazy to ship
No problem, glad it somewhat helped with your project.

I've done the same amount of research for this lip(local markets, forums, asking others on advice to obtain it) and I feel your pain.
Sometimes the deal wasn't meant to be and hopefully there will be a better one.

Best of luck on your build!

TRD | Brembo | RAYS
The Following User Says Thank You to KMA KiCKz For This Useful Post:
Sam86 (06-27-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 02:43 AM   #27
Sam86

Received my front under spoiler. Had no guarantee it was going to match but I’m fairly confident now it’ll work out. It looks like it’ll go over the side pods of the replica spoiler so any bad cut lines will be covered up anyway. Only part I have to get right is the bottom cut

Last edited by Sam86; 07-01-2021 at 06:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam86 For This Useful Post:
KMA KiCKz (07-01-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 01:03 AM   #28
Sam86

Incase you were wondering what the car looks like with just the grille piece as I originally did back on this thread. You could honestly get away with it if you have a splitter. It’s not fully in place in the photo because I didn’t want to take off my bumper, but you get the idea.
Bought a dremel to cut up the side pods off the replica aero bumper. Fingers crossed I don’t mess it up

Last edited by Sam86; 07-02-2021 at 11:37 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sam86 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (07-06-2021), KMA KiCKz (07-09-2021), Thefalls (07-05-2021)