follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #29
MstrSHAKE

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
Here is my story of a similar problem.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12678

I had my FR-S at the dealer 2 times to get it fixed correctly. The first time I pucked it up they adjusted the brakes to tight and I lift with a dragging brake. turned around and left it with them again over night and they got it right. I'm not a huge fan of the dealer that I used but I must say that they are normally able to get things right, just not always on the first try.

Wow this story is EXACTLY like mine. Even down to that popping sound. Which I heard last night when I took it for a quick spin around the block. Heard it several times and thought it was rocks the first time but nope. Car should be at dealer now. Wish me luck tomorrow morning. Glad you got your issue worked out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2014, 08:13 AM   #30
MstrSHAKE

So my car is at the dealership now. (Bird road subaru) and apparently they will not cover the damage to the rear brakes. They've said I've must of ridden with the ebrake engaged. Which is utter bs. Then he( the tech supervisor or lead tech) indirectly accused me of possibly using the handle to drift?

We ended up going back and forth with nothing resolved. I called Subaru of America and there is an ongoing case to the matter.

I just want the car back already :/

Old 02-11-2014, 09:13 AM   #31
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Typical dealer response.. tsk tsk.
Why would a driver have e-brake pulled while driving? Light comes on dash even with slight pull. So I guess that all sports car drivers cannot get their cars fixed under warranty since the dealer assumes the car is abused by its drivers. Hopefully Subaru can help on this, HOPEFULLY.
frslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #32
MstrSHAKE

Handbrake not working.

So they did not help. Nothing resolved. I took the car home after having it sit at the dealer for over a week just for them to tell me that this is not a manufacturer defect and the damage must of been caused by driver habit. (What?!) they said the pads(parking brake shoes) were ridden beyond 90% of its life and completely failed, not a defect. Mind you, this car has 1850 miles and has been COMPLETELY BABIED. Also, I then called the direct dealership where the car was at, to ask what damage was done and an estimate. He then said the rear brakes needed to replaced along with my center console. Yes, my center console he said. He said my ebrake handle was damaged? Lol. Anyways he estimated me about "$600-$700" this is when I laughed and told him not to touch my car and that i was on my way to pick it up.

I drove the car home, brakes were fine. No odd vibrations from what I felt. Only thing was the ebrake not working at all. I'll have to take a look but I believe my brake shoes are gone...?

I filed with a complaint with the BBB and that's just the start. So disappointed in Subaru.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #33
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrSHAKE View Post
I drove the car home, brakes were fine. No odd vibrations from what I felt. Only thing was the ebrake not working at all. I'll have to take a look but I believe my brake shoes are gone...?

Not your regular brake pads. The four disc brakes are independent of the handbrake on these cars. The handbrake is a small drum brake incorporated into the center of the rear disc brake assembly; those would be the shoes that are worn out.

I think I recall someone else having a similar problem not long ago.

Your CONSOLE must be replaced?

Uh huh.

Almost all service writers are paid on commission. The more they sell, the more they earn. The incentive to "steal" is strong.

Something to keep in mind for those of you who didn't know this, and/or are inclined to TRUST them, as so many of you amazingly trusting youngsters do.

This is not directed at you, Shake, just a kindly warning to the youngsters out there:

The Grown-ups were not placed upon this Earth to take good care of you. When you leave school and graduate into the Real World, you must learn that the Grown-ups are the PREDATORS.

And YOU, dear little ones, are the PREY!

That's the way The World works, contrary to what you were told growing up.

It pays to be both suspicious and well-informed when entering the lairs of automobile repair shops. They really ARE "out to get you." It's how they make their living.

Ignorance is not bliss.

It can prove to be quite expensive.

And back to you, Shake. I'm sorry to hear about your bizarre experience with your handbrake. I'll be interested to see how this is resolved.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #34
MstrSHAKE

Handbrake not working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Not your regular brake pads. The four disc brakes are independent of the handbrake on these cars. The handbrake is a small drum brake incorporated into the center of the rear disc brake assembly; those would be the shoes that are worn out.

I think I recall someone else having a similar problem not long ago.

Your CONSOLE must be replaced?

Uh huh.

Almost all service writers are paid on commission. The more they sell, the more they earn. The incentive to "steal" is strong.

Something to keep in mind for those of you who didn't know this, and/or are inclined to TRUST them, as so many of you amazingly trusting youngsters do.

This is not directed at you, Shake, just a kindly warning to the youngsters out there:

The Grown-ups were not placed upon this Earth to take good care of you. When you leave school and graduate into the Real World, you must learn that the Grown-ups are the PREDATORS.

And YOU, dear little ones, are the PREY!

That's the way The World works, contrary to what you were told growing up.

It pays to be both suspicious and well-informed when entering the lairs of automobile repair shops. They really ARE "out to get you." It's how they make their living.

Ignorance is not bliss.

It can prove to be quite expensive.

And back to you, Shake. I'm sorry to hear about your bizarre experience with your handbrake. I'll be interested to see how this is resolved.

Yea I'm aware the pads and handbrake shoes were separate but after he quoted me that ridiculous amount I was legitimately afraid he tampered with my rear brakes. Luckily that wasn't the case. The rest of the car aside from being filthy didn't look tampered with. This dealer has horrible rep and it just got worse. It's sad to think they actually get people to buy into their bs and eat off of lies

Once he mentioned "center console" I laughed at him. And made sure to tell him to not touch my car. This was a complete joke of an experience. Bird Road Subaru in Miami, Fl. Complete joke. Mike in particular.

"unscrupulous people who exploit innocents for their own benefit,"

Last edited by MstrSHAKE; 02-19-2014 at 10:34 PM.
MstrSHAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MstrSHAKE For This Useful Post:
Porsche (02-19-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #35
jdubz13frs

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

This kind of stuff drives me crazy. I am a store manager/service writer for a small, locally owned shop. We pride ourselves on being honest, straight forward, and NOT ripping people off. I do understand a vast majority of shops do not have this as their priority, but you cannot assume all shops/service writers are scum and are deadset on ripping people off. Avoid national chains and dealers.
jdubz13frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #36
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Op, sorry about what happens. try to call different dealer and explain what hapepened.
this would help as well
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:15 PM   #37
Stewie

Drives: '15 - WRB Brz Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Yea I'm aware the pads and handbrake shoes were separate but after he quoted me that ridiculous amount I was legitimately afraid he tampered with my rear brakes. Luckily that wasn't the case. The rest of the car aside from being filthy didn't look tampered with. This dealer has horrible rep and it just got worse. It's sad to think they actually get people to buy into their bs and eat off of lies

Once he mentioned "center console" I laughed at him. And made sure to tell him to not touch my car. This was a complete joke of an experience. Bird Road Subaru in Miami, Fl. Complete joke. Mike in particular.

What ever happened with this? I have a feeling that this is what I've been experiencing with a vibration and occasional popping from the rear of my car. What was the ultimate resolution?
1988 Volvo 740 Turbo 4MT w/ electric OD/5th gear (sold)
Stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:42 AM   #38
MstrSHAKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
What ever happened with this? I have a feeling that this is what I've been experiencing with a vibration and occasional popping from the rear of my car. What was the ultimate resolution?
I just went ahead and replaced all four parking brake shoes at a shop. The dealer was trying to F*** me over so i bailed out. Was so frustration and disappointing.

In my case, i never really had vibrations or any warning signs, it just went out by the time i got home to use it after a night out. Also, only one of the shoes (passenger side) was completely worn off and in dust whereas the drivers was completely fine. Weird.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #39
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

I was bored and did some research on that dealer apparently "Mike" has left and destroyed their reputation before he left everyone says to go to Pines or Lehman regardless. I guess Bird Road Subaru should be put on the FT86speedfactory black list.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:08 PM   #40
Stewie

Drives: '15 - WRB Brz Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I just went ahead and replaced all four parking brake shoes at a shop. The dealer was trying to F*** me over so i bailed out. Was so frustration and disappointing.

In my case, i never really had vibrations or any warning signs, it just went out by the time i got home to use it after a night out. Also, only one of the shoes (passenger side) was completely worn off and in dust whereas the drivers was completely fine. Weird.
How much did it run you?
1988 Volvo 740 Turbo 4MT w/ electric OD/5th gear (sold)
Stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stewie For This Useful Post:
MstrSHAKE (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 03:23 PM   #41
crustol

Drives: Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
One time I noticed my car not driving like it should, but didn't see any weird lights on my dash. I looked at the e-brakes by whim and noticed I didn't lower it all the way, so it IS plausible to wear out the e-brakes unintentionally.
crustol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #42
MstrSHAKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
How much did it run you?
man, i forget, but it must of been in the range of $80-120. Well worth it though, as I needed those ebrakes functional.