follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2014, 04:00 AM   #1
BRZbro

Drives: 2015 BRZ Sport-tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Greddy EVO3 vs ARK DT-S

So I've been doing some research and I have decided between these two exhausts. Now time for the fun part. Which one should I choose?

Greddy EVO3 ~$800
- Louder
- Cheaper
- But doesn't have titanium tips (which is what I want)
- I believe smaller tips as well.
- Ear-killing drone at 3-4k (apparently)
- Turbo with this exhaust is possible

ARK DT-S ~$1200
- Not as loud (apparently, but only by a few decibels)
- Has nice (bigger) burnt titanium tips
- Sounds very nice
- Only 2.5" exhaust (possible turbo in the future)
- Supposedly has no drone

The ARK has the looks factor that I like and the Greddy has the value factor that I like. If there is something to think about or consider please let me know! Also if you know a site I can get a good deal, please let me know!
THANKS!
BRZbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:08 AM   #2
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Corsa, right in the middle $wise ($1,000) sounds better than both no drone anywhere and best quality I've seen so far.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:03 AM   #3
BRZbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Corsa, right in the middle $wise ($1,000) sounds better than both no drone anywhere and best quality I've seen so far.
Thanks! Sounds nice, but I feel it has a more hollow sound? Might be just the video but I feel the sound output is kind of empty. Definitely keeping my options open though.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
gabeg86

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Idk if weight is an issue at all, but iirc, the ark catbacks are a few pounds heavier than stock. I'm not saying the evo3 is light, but it's a few pounds lighter than stock. I have it and I always gets compliments on it. I do like the dt-s, but you could get a full header back exhaust (over pipe, front pipe, and evo3) for the price of just the ark catback and still have some cash left over
Perrin (LWCP) - Blox (shift knob) - HID Powerhouse (LED's and HID's) - Eibach (sportlines) - Muteki (lugs) - SPL (LCA's) - Rays Engineering (57dr's) - Dunlop Direzza ZII (tires) - Greddy (Evo3) - Full Race (turbo kit) - Ecutek (tuned)
gabeg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
BRZbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeg86 View Post
Idk if weight is an issue at all, but iirc, the ark catbacks are a few pounds heavier than stock. I'm not saying the evo3 is light, but it's a few pounds lighter than stock. I have it and I always gets compliments on it. I do like the dt-s, but you could get a full header back exhaust (over pipe, front pipe, and evo3) for the price of just the ark catback and still have some cash left over
Thanks! I'm deciding to go with the evo3 because of the price which also allows me to sell it if my personal taste doesn't like it that much. Thanks again for your input! Does anyone know where I could get a good deal/price on this exhaust? I know redline360 is selling it for like $788 which is the cheapest I have found so far!
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZbro For This Useful Post:
gabeg86 (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 12:04 AM   #6
SoCalArgento

Drives: 2014 Argento FRS
Garage
Good choice, I have the Evo3 and I like it. I decided to keep silencers on because Drone is Killer, especially freeway. I bought a resonated catted front pipe and it makes drone okay, just my two cents.

Enjoy the Exhaust! 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SoCalArgento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #7
ET86
Perfectionist

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
I have the Ark Grip with Motiv HFC mid-pipe love it. I could not take the drone from my previous exhaust it really took it's toll. If you plan on getting a header its only going to make it louder. I've heard the dts w\header and it was orgasmic.
ET86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ET86 For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (06-03-2016)
Old 10-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
EpicNameBro

Drives: Slow...
I love my DT-S but something to be aware of they are not lowered car friendly... other than that no complaints and worth the money...
EpicNameBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
Mechixx

Drives:
I have the DT-S as well and love it! Have had tons of compliments on it and it sounds amazing and looks great too with the burnt blue tips
They also did their work very well and we're able to make it drone-less but when you kick it down you get the awesome low end growl the car is made to have
Mechixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:44 AM   #10
ssyed

Drives: 2013 Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've owned both of these with JDL UEL headers and Nameless DownPipe(FP/OP Combo with drone resonator)

Initially went with the Evo. Before you read below, keep in mind, I don't mind loud, this exhaust is one of the loudest you can get.

Outside the car, the tips looked amazing, it sounded AMAZING, love that deep rumbly boxer note and I heard every bit of that glorious rumble inside the car. However, I hated driving cuz of the drone. It actually ruined all the fun of this car for me. I am sure some of you love the drone, but I don't. The drone isnt only from 3-4k . It's there up until 5K. I would say it was completely unbearable for me from 2-5K. Which is majority of the driving. Imagine driving on highway; drone drone city. Want to talk to your passenger? Good luck, you will be screaming majority of the time. want to enjoy listening to music? Might as well just throw out all the speakers you have in the car unless u plan on playing music at extremely loud volume. Since I couldn't simply bare it any more, I got the nameless down pipe with the drone resonator built in to reduce drone. Did it reduce the drone of the evo? Yeah it was slightly less, but we're talking like 10% less based on my guess but it changed nothing for me. It was still TOO much. After a lot of: damn I can't take it anymore. I swapped my exhaust with someone.

Switched the the DT-S. Love the car. Love the sound, I can talk to passenger, listen to music and answer a phone call. Its not as rumbly as the evo 3, man do I miss that rumble. But it beats having the drone any day for me. Compared to the evo, there is absolutely no drone at all. The exhaust sounds really good. There are two things I don't like about this exhaust. I miss the rumble and the tips stick out too much from the bumper. They're 4" tips, HUGE. I would be happier if they were slightly smaller. Also the size of it is 2.5" vs 2.75" compared to evo.

If I was to do this all over again, I might have gone with Perrin 3" resonated.

I hope no one takes offence to it, not trying to start a war here. This is my personal view and opinion.
ssyed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ssyed For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (05-22-2016)
Old 10-10-2014, 01:41 AM   #11
BRZbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyed View Post
I've owned both of these with JDL UEL headers and Nameless DownPipe(FP/OP Combo with drone resonator)

Initially went with the Evo. Before you read below, keep in mind, I don't mind loud, this exhaust is one of the loudest you can get.

Outside the car, the tips looked amazing, it sounded AMAZING, love that deep rumbly boxer note and I heard every bit of that glorious rumble inside the car. However, I hated driving cuz of the drone. It actually ruined all the fun of this car for me. I am sure some of you love the drone, but I don't. The drone isnt only from 3-4k . It's there up until 5K. I would say it was completely unbearable for me from 2-5K. Which is majority of the driving. Imagine driving on highway; drone drone city. Want to talk to your passenger? Good luck, you will be screaming majority of the time. want to enjoy listening to music? Might as well just throw out all the speakers you have in the car unless u plan on playing music at extremely loud volume. Since I couldn't simply bare it any more, I got the nameless down pipe with the drone resonator built in to reduce drone. Did it reduce the drone of the evo? Yeah it was slightly less, but we're talking like 10% less based on my guess but it changed nothing for me. It was still TOO much. After a lot of: damn I can't take it anymore. I swapped my exhaust with someone.

Switched the the DT-S. Love the car. Love the sound, I can talk to passenger, listen to music and answer a phone call. Its not as rumbly as the evo 3, man do I miss that rumble. But it beats having the drone any day for me. Compared to the evo, there is absolutely no drone at all. The exhaust sounds really good. There are two things I don't like about this exhaust. I miss the rumble and the tips stick out too much from the bumper. They're 4" tips, HUGE. I would be happier if they were slightly smaller. Also the size of it is 2.5" vs 2.75" compared to evo.

If I was to do this all over again, I might have gone with Perrin 3" resonated.

I hope no one takes offence to it, not trying to start a war here. This is my personal view and opinion.
Great review! Thanks a lot. One question. Did you get the nameless downpipe with Helmholtz Resonator? I heard really good reviews that that actually got rid of a lot of the drone. Any thoughts? Some even say that it eliminated the drone.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:47 AM   #12
ssyed

Drives: 2013 Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
By 'drone resonator' I was actually referring to the Helmholtz Resonator. I guess the drone of the Evo was too much for it to handle. Btw, the evo also comes with silencers. With those on, the drone wasn't there, but it sounded like stock and I hated the way it looked. I refused to put those in, I put them in twice and took it out. I know a lot of people will run the silencers but IMO what's the point of an exhaust system if you're going to run silencers.
ssyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:04 AM   #13
BRZBYE

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ (Limited, Black)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZbro View Post
Thanks! I'm deciding to go with the evo3 because of the price which also allows me to sell it if my personal taste doesn't like it that much. Thanks again for your input! Does anyone know where I could get a good deal/price on this exhaust? I know redline360 is selling it for like $788 which is the cheapest I have found so far!
YES! I got mine from fteightsix for 756 shipped (use the ft86club 2% discount). Just got delivered today! HUGE BOX!!! It came with gaskets, bolts, the axleback, and midpipe of course
BRZBYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #14
BRZbro

*** HEADS UP FOR PEOPLE WANTING THE EVO3 EXHAUST ***
They are no longer selling this exhaust. It is discontinued!

Tags
ark, evo3, exhaust, greddy