follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep, Sarlacc, Tcoat

Old 01-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #15
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
If you want to I'd HIGHLY RECOMEND the Jackson Racing SC. It makes great power and we have multiple cars in Norcal86 who are running this setup and loving it. I haven't personally seen any problems arise from the kit. One of the benefits of this kit is that JR released a high boost pulley which with e85, upgraded fuel pump, and 700cc injectors reached 370whp. All in all if I were to run any kit it would be the JR because if I wanted a reliable street tune they have it, if I wanted to go more HP they have a higher boost pulley available as well.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #16
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-G View Post
I've been following the SBD group for awhile now, and I can say that the support for the SBD kit is nothing but stellar. If I ever consider boosting after getting tired with NA, I would highly consider this kit...

Its been refined multiple times, product support is second to none, and Chris seems to deal with any issues or problems directly as seen through the FB group. Bonuses like a pre-tapped oil pans, replacement fittings, hardware, etc are the benefits of being an SBD kit owner... and they all seem to be dealt with immediately by Chris. I would say that the product support of this kit alone is one of the very best features.

That being said, I would still also consider the HKS setup. But the SBD value is very, very hard to beat.

All depends on your intended use right. Track, autocross, street, high hp, etc?

They value of the SBD turbo kit is what really sets it above the rest of the FI kits. The JRSC that I just suggested is a great kit but almost cost $2k more than the SBD kit. It is all personal preference though depending on what you are looking for and your budget.
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #17
wise345
Slow I am, boost I must..

Drives: Whiteout 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
If you want to I'd HIGHLY RECOMEND the Jackson Racing SC. It makes great power and we have multiple cars in Norcal86 who are running this setup and loving it. I haven't personally seen any problems arise from the kit. One of the benefits of this kit is that JR released a high boost pulley which with e85, upgraded fuel pump, and 700cc injectors reached 370whp. All in all if I were to run any kit it would be the JR because if I wanted a reliable street tune they have it, if I wanted to go more HP they have a higher boost pulley available as well.
My reason for narrowing it down to HKS and SBD is because I have a very high quality well known shop who specializes in HKS parts (JoTech) and also work on SBD products so I have a shop I know personally who are well equipped to work with these. They are even a HKS Pro-Dealer I believe.
wise345 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wise345 For This Useful Post:
CxG (01-22-2016), MisterSheep (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #18
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wise345 View Post
My reason for narrowing it down to HKS and SBD is because I have a very high quality well known shop who specializes in HKS parts (JoTech) and also work on SBD products so I have a shop I know personally who are well equipped to work with these. They are even a HKS Pro-Dealer I believe.
In that case if the shop has experiences with installing, tuning, and maintaining both the HKS and SBD kits then I would try to talk to people around who have also had their kits installed by that shop. I know most people are going to tell you that supercharger kits will be more reliable but some kits can be equally reliable. The reason people will say turbo kits are less realiable is because there are a lot more parts, and moving parts, that can fail. Either way you go, you will have to pay close attention to the status of your car and the parts to run it safely. I know I am probably sending you in circles but research is always the best option before deciding on either kit and it all comes down to what you want to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
wise345 (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #19
wise345

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
In that case if the shop has experiences with installing, tuning, and maintaining both the HKS and SBD kits then I would try to talk to people around who have also had their kits installed by that shop. I know most people are going to tell you that supercharger kits will be more reliable but some kits can be equally reliable. The reason people will say turbo kits are less realiable is because there are a lot more parts, and moving parts, that can fail. Either way you go, you will have to pay close attention to the status of your car and the parts to run it safely. I know I am probably sending you in circles but research is always the best option before deciding on either kit and it all comes down to what you want to do.
I'm thinking I'll just talk to the owner of the shop next time I'm up that way and see what he thinks. As well researching the forum and this thread. Just want to make sure I make the right choice
The Following User Says Thank You to wise345 For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #20
wise345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-G View Post
I've been following the SBD group for awhile now, and I can say that the support for the SBD kit is nothing but stellar. If I ever consider boosting after getting tired with NA, I would highly consider this kit...

Its been refined multiple times, product support is second to none, and Chris seems to deal with any issues or problems directly as seen through the FB group. Bonuses like a pre-tapped oil pans, replacement fittings, hardware, etc are the benefits of being an SBD kit owner... and they all seem to be dealt with immediately by Chris. I would say that the product support of this kit alone is one of the very best features.

That being said, I would still also consider the HKS setup. But the SBD value is very, very hard to beat.

All depends on your intended use right. Track, autocross, street, high hp, etc?
I considered having them build my old GTR and I agree Chris is a great guy and very easy to deal with. As far as my uses I want a reliable daily that may eventually turn into a high horse build. Thus another reason I'm considering turbo over supercharger because if I wanted high hp I could just swap the turbo and build the motor
Old 01-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #21
Scott@HKSUSA

Drives: 2013 FR-S, HKS V2 S/C
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Jotech is indeed a HKS Pro-Dealer, good choice! Is your car a manual or auto?
Scott@HKSUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #22
brady86

Drives: 2013 firestorm fr-s
Its between hks and sbd for me as well I want turbo noise but I like the idea of a supercharger for reliability to we will wait and see once the v3 kit is more tested it seems like the v3 kit is harder to install I have heard it needs a bit of cutting maybe this summer I will choose one.
brady86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #23
Andew727

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
On HKS' website it says on the E85 map it will make 320whp on the base boost levels. That would be a great DD level is imagin? Makes ~270whp on 93
yes but its their version 3, which i believe comes with fuel injectors and fuel pump to make that much power. the larger piping and less bends alows for the v2 and v3 kit to have more boost with the same pulley i use on my v1 kit.
Andew727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #24
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Cant add onto whats already been said other than I love my SBD kit!
Cockatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #25
Andew727

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brady86 View Post
Its between hks and sbd for me as well I want turbo noise but I like the idea of a supercharger for reliability to we will wait and see once the v3 kit is more tested it seems like the v3 kit is harder to install I have heard it needs a bit of cutting maybe this summer I will choose one.
my choice was simple, i love turbos and the power they make, but dont have much experience with them personally. i chose the hks compressor kit because you are doubling the cars whp and i expected things to go wrong with the car based off of that. the hks kit has provided me with the power im looking for and much less of a headache. i keep suggesting to everyone that is going to introduce boost to upgrade your valve springs. those babies can be fully depressed with my fingers when we pulled them out. a spring also snapped hence why i rebuilt.
Andew727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:24 PM   #26
wise345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@HKSUSA View Post
Jotech is indeed a HKS Pro-Dealer, good choice! Is your car a manual or auto?
Manual I've had 3 JoTech stage 2 GTRs great guys!
Old 01-04-2016, 04:25 PM   #27
wise345

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady86 View Post
Same exact issue here bro
The Following User Says Thank You to wise345 For This Useful Post:
brady86 (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 04:25 PM   #28
wise345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andew727 View Post
yes but its their version 3, which i believe comes with fuel injectors and fuel pump to make that much power. the larger piping and less bends alows for the v2 and v3 kit to have more boost with the same pulley i use on my v1 kit.
Yup id be getting the V3 with all the goodies

Tags
:popcorn:, why not?