follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2021, 02:27 PM   #1
BAT_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ "sti"
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smog unable to read OBD port (EcuTek flashed to stock)

So I had an interesting experience at the smog check yesterday, I wanted to see what the hivemind could enlighten me on. High likely hood I'm doing something wrong-

Background:

Bought a 2013 BRZ some time ago. Got a flex fuel kit installed and had the car professionally tuned with delicious tuning with an EcuTek license. Everything's been awesome.

Fast forward to this year, get a notice to smog the car. I uninstalled the flex fuel kit and bought the EcuTek self tuning to just get the car reverted to the stock tune. I successfully located the stock tune for the model year (2013 automatic) in the EcuTek software window page. I flashed the ECU and drove the car for about 400 miles before all monitors were cleared.

I took the car to smog it yesterday, and the SMOG told me he couldn't get the OB2 port to talk to my car. So I drove the car home and noticed that all my monitors had been reset and showed they haven't cleared.

So my question's are:

1. When flashing back to a stock tune, is their any other options you have to select in the EcuTek software to completely revert back to a stock programmed ECU?
2. Can the SMOG OBD reader reset your cars monitors? I didn't watch the tech the full time so I don't know if there was something else done to the car while I was in the wait room.

Thanks for the read and I do appreciate any tips or insights.
BAT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:29 PM   #2
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Something smells fishy.

Take it to a different smog check station without disclosing that the first "technician" couldn't connect and see if that happens again.

Then get back to us.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
BAT_BRZ (06-19-2021), soundman98 (06-18-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 04:37 AM   #3
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAT_BRZ View Post
So I had an interesting experience at the smog check yesterday, I wanted to see what the hivemind could enlighten me on. High likely hood I'm doing something wrong-

Background:

Bought a 2013 BRZ some time ago. Got a flex fuel kit installed and had the car professionally tuned with delicious tuning with an EcuTek license. Everything's been awesome.

Fast forward to this year, get a notice to smog the car. I uninstalled the flex fuel kit and bought the EcuTek self tuning to just get the car reverted to the stock tune. I successfully located the stock tune for the model year (2013 automatic) in the EcuTek software window page. I flashed the ECU and drove the car for about 400 miles before all monitors were cleared.

I took the car to smog it yesterday, and the SMOG told me he couldn't get the OB2 port to talk to my car. So I drove the car home and noticed that all my monitors had been reset and showed they haven't cleared.

So my question's are:

1. When flashing back to a stock tune, is their any other options you have to select in the EcuTek software to completely revert back to a stock programmed ECU?
2. Can the SMOG OBD reader reset your cars monitors? I didn't watch the tech the full time so I don't know if there was something else done to the car while I was in the wait room.

Thanks for the read and I do appreciate any tips or insights.
one part of the software for the smog system is that it resets the OEM computer. This is for those who flash to "fake" a readiness monitor... as those who try to force it.. what will happen is that as soon as the Smog computer resets the ECU, the monitors will all go back to "ready". which means your trying to bypass emissions. If they reset it, means 2 things... 1 they could be shady and tell you it did not pass so you have to come in again (if you live in a state were they can charge you again)? unless your in a state that offers you a free do-over. or 2.. their smog machine got to the point that it does the reset test and somehow lost connection? there for it did not pass...

Last edited by geraldjust; 06-22-2021 at 04:48 AM.
geraldjust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to geraldjust For This Useful Post:
BAT_BRZ (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 01:34 PM   #4
BAT_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ "sti"
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Update, had to drive the car for a bit to clear the monitor again but here we go:

So I took it to a smog shop (Smog guy 2) literally across the street that a few locals said was meticulous, but also very knowledgeable. And like all car things there is a story.

Short story: Car passed, smog guy 2 also found someone had tried to enter the car into the smog data base but didn't complete the entry (from first smog guy). Smog guy 2 also said its likely that smog guy 1 was lazy. But because him and I weren't observing the tech while performing the initial check he cant speak to what caused the ECU to reset.

Long story:

So I went over to the new smog shop and the car failed. Not because of the OB2 port, but because I forgot about a spacer I had in-between the airbox and the intake manifold. I have a TRD intake on the car when I bought it second hand and didn't dig into the extra shit that was there. When pulling off the spacer I also noticed the clamp to the air hose intake wasn't even installed. (I have a grim speed Engine cover that covered the clamp points so I couldn't see it)I was very very perplexed but all I can think of was when I had the car taken into for the engine recall the techs at subaru didn't reinstall the second clamp for whatever reason.

Took the car back, Smog guy 2 reperformed all the checks, including the OBD2 check and it passed.

Smog guy 1 did something stupid.
Smog guy 2 was meticulous, but helped me catch a potential problem and was helpful.

Smog guy 2 also pointed out that the bar code that is usually on the inside of the drivers door jam, was on my passenger side of my car and probably confused the first tech. Most cars he has seen have it on the driver side. My car has had a repaint on the driver side door and that half of the car so repair shop probably moved it, but idk.

Thanks for the input everyone
BAT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BAT_BRZ For This Useful Post:
Decep (06-25-2021), FR-S2GT86 (06-24-2021), meWant (06-29-2021)