follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #15
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT///R86 View Post
I hope they choose a new name. Celica has had a negative reputation among many in the US.
Who are these many people in the US that you speak of? The MKI and MKII rwd Celicas are well respected and the ALL-TRAC/GT-4 turbo AWD cars of the 1990's are still sought after today. You must be talking about the 2000-2005 model that some saw as soft. That was one model generation out of eight for a car that dates back to the 70's. Toyota puts out one questionable generation of car and all of a sudden they should just scrap 40yrs worth of brand recognition? GM put out crappy corvettes all throughout the 80's but they didn't get rid of the nameplate they just made the 90's version better and more what the customer expected. There is nothing wrong with the Celica name and it would work fine on this car.
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #16
VenomRush
Thee O-ri-gi-na-tor

Drives: 2013 FR-S
you know when i first read this i was like " awww no! not celica!" then i looked at pics of the car and then i thought to myself.. "this car could be called the ramrod and i would still get it"
VenomRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #17
DanZilla

Drives: 05 New Formula Red Honda S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DanZilla
i hope its 50/50 weight dist
DanZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #18
talagang_crazy
aywk|sd

Drives: his car
^^ agreed. i really dont care what its called as long as it can perform. plus, im going to de-badge anyway so i wont see the name everytime i look at the car haha
talagang_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:33 PM   #19
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post
You must be talking about the 2000-2005 model that some saw as soft.
while i do agree with you i must admit the 7th gen celica really did ruin the car for me and a lot of other people. really wonky styling and FF only. it's really a shame too cuz the 2zz engine was a nice motor, as can be seen in today's elise/exige. a boosted 2zz could've made enough power for a gt-four, i wonder if it could have been converted to FR like the 3s? oh well, no point in speculating now.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:33 PM   #20
DanZilla

alot of girls wont know what it is anyways. so de-badge it and tell people its the new ferrari
Old 10-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #21
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Ok then.

From a marketing stand point naming it a celica would be genius.

Toyota has said that it wants to get back to making fun sporty cars. Apparently there are many of you who believe the Celica name has been tarnished by recent generations. SO:

They could roll out a huge marketing campaign about how they are now listening to customers, refocussing/re-inventing itself, starting with returning the Celica back to it's cheap RWD sportscar roots. They could do an in your face come drive the new (FT-86) Celica and experience the new Toyota campaign.

No need to spend money on trying to build brand recognition with a new name and it gets the message out that Toyota is no longer just going to build boring reliable cars. Ask anyone what a Celica is, love it or hate it, and they'll tell you it's a sportscar made by Toyota. That kind of brand recognition/association doesn't come cheap so it would be a waste of a nameplate to throw away 30+ years of Celica history.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #22
scape

Drives: yaris
^ i like that idea, however ask any girl and she'll say it's a cute sporty little car. not a sportscar. perhaps that's ok; looks sexy enough to me to pick up a chick in (sure beats a yaris haha)
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #23
DanZilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by scape View Post
^ i like that idea, however ask any girl and she'll say it's a cute sporty little car. not a sportscar. perhaps that's ok; looks sexy enough to me to pick up a chick in (sure beats a yaris haha)
HA! What a girl car!!!!!!!!!!!

Jk, I used to own one too
Old 10-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #24
FT///R86

Drives: Toyota Matrix
Quote:
Who are these many people in the US that you speak of? The MKI and MKII rwd Celicas are well respected and the ALL-TRAC/GT-4 turbo AWD cars of the 1990's are still sought after today. You must be talking about the 2000-2005 model that some saw as soft. That was one model generation out of eight for a car that dates back to the 70's. Toyota puts out one questionable generation of car and all of a sudden they should just scrap 40yrs worth of brand recognition? GM put out crappy corvettes all throughout the 80's but they didn't get rid of the nameplate they just made the 90's version better and more what the customer expected. There is nothing wrong with the Celica name and it would work fine on this car.
Well coming from knowing the history of the Celica, there is nothing wrong, but for regular people the Celica progressively got softer and softer. Toyota tried to keep the sporty-ness with the All-Trac and GTS but it still did not capture the imaginations of consumers. This is an opportunity for Toyota to start fresh. I loved the old Celicas. I owned a 84 GTS but I think Toyota should take a different route. Even if they decide to go with the Celica I'm still going to buy it. However, they are trying to pay homage to the AE86 not the RA or ST Celicas.
FT///R86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #25
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT///R86 View Post
However, they are trying to pay homage to the AE86 not the RA or ST Celicas.
I understand your position and I'm not really arguing against it.

I just think the whole homage to the AE86 and the FT-86/086A name during the concept/testing phase is just a wink wink nod nod to us the enthusiasts letting us know what type of car this will be.

When the car goes to production I think it will either be named a celica or something completely new because realistically how many, as you say, "regular people" know what an AE86 is? Only enthusiast know about the AE86 and we make up a very small percentage of customers. Everyone knows what a celica is and can tell you it's made by toyota. It's just easier, and from a marketing stand point more cost effective, for Toyota to use a household name and call it a celica.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:36 PM   #26
scape

Drives: yaris
this really should be in the naming thread by now but... I believe LF-A was the pre-production concept car name, which now I believe has officially made it as a vehicle with this name;
guess that bodes well for FT-86
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #27
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I agree. Despite toyota claiming the AE86 as the inspiration for this new FT-86, in my mind, the car is really a throwback to the original celicas. Cheap, lightweight, RWD, dedicated sportscars. Nothing against the AE86 it's a fun car but it was not designed to be a sportscar it just happened that people found out later how capable they were. The celica was designed from the start to be a sportscar just like the FT-86. I would not be disappointed at all if they revived the celica name with this car.
Wow, someone needs to relearn their definition of 'sports-car'.

AE86 had:
One of the FIRST DOHC, Fuel injected head on an mass-produced I4. This right here just negates what you said completely.
4 wheel disc brakes, factory
LSD optional
light weight
RWD (in a time when toyota was converting the mass of its cars to FWD)

Was it THE sports car to have? Of course not. But you put the stats down on paper and my AE86 is more of a sports car than my brothers base-model 1985 RX-7 sitting in the garage.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #28
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
Wow, someone needs to relearn their definition of 'sports-car'.

AE86 had:
One of the FIRST DOHC, Fuel injected head on an mass-produced I4. This right here just negates what you said completely.
4 wheel disc brakes, factory
LSD optional
light weight
RWD (in a time when toyota was converting the mass of its cars to FWD)

Was it THE sports car to have? Of course not. But you put the stats down on paper and my AE86 is more of a sports car than my brothers base-model 1985 RX-7 sitting in the garage.
Hm... Maybe he was talkin' bout GT-R, Fairlady, Evo, Supra, Silvia, STI and all those High Powa~ cars. lol It's okay, only the real sports car maniac knows that AE86 is sports car. If not, Dorikin wouldn't own AE86 for half a century.